UKBouldering.com

Hard drive data recovery (Read 9234 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#25 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 22, 2007, 05:05:28 pm
If the CD drive dissappeared then you may not have got the master/slave jumper set correctly on the back up drive?

Macs still get HD failures :)

I don't know a great deal about the ins and outs of SATA - I know that when i install windows on the machine with SATA drives, i have to load SATA drivers from a floppy as the motherboard doesn't offer native support.

Looking at that speed issue page, I think all it's saying is download the disc image, burn it and then run it when you reboot.

If you can't use your CDrom, download the floppy image instead, write it to a floppy, reboot and run it with the new disc attached.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#26 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 22, 2007, 05:06:27 pm

edit, just saw Jim's post - your board has native support so should be ok.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#27 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 22, 2007, 05:08:13 pm
Computer users fall into two groups:-

Those that do backups
Those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Or fools like me who have had drive failures but still dont' back stuff up enough. I do archive all my photos online though. Flickr is a good place to do it if you can live with the 2meg limit per pic, but there are pro sites that offer similar service for keeping big files. What about that free unlimited storage site that somebody linked to on here a while ago? That'd be ideal.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#28 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 22, 2007, 05:17:30 pm
Or fools like me who have had drive failures but still dont' back stuff up enough. I do archive all my photos online though. Flickr is a good place to do it if you can live with the 2meg limit per pic, but there are pro sites that offer similar service for keeping big files. What about that free unlimited storage site that somebody linked to on here a while ago? That'd be ideal.

:guilty: t'was me.

If you've a pro account at flickr the upload limit per image should be 10Mb per file (5Mb for free acounts), if you're having trouble with files > 2Mb I'd get them to  :read: .  Have to say I'm finding it a lot easier now you can upload more than six pics at a time.

andy_e

• forum hero
#29 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 22, 2007, 05:20:48 pm

Those that do backups

I'm the latter, but I'm going to back up when I lay my hands on a drive this weekend because my drive's squeaking and grinding a bit...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#30 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 22, 2007, 05:26:06 pm
That'

:guilty: t'was me.
That's it - just logged in again - i'm going to upload some stuff to test it out...

If you've a pro account at flickr the upload limit per image should be 10Mb per file (5Mb for free acounts)
Sorry, my bad - i think the restriction is not on file size, but on image dimensions or something? I'm sure it reduced all my images down to 2048x? pixels - must double check!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#31 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 22, 2007, 05:47:45 pm
Adam - the motherboard will only support 4 devices at a time. If you use SATA then one of the IDE's will be redundant. I can't remember which one, Look at the support pages for the BH7, Infact I'll look now for you

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#32 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 22, 2007, 05:51:37 pm
Looking at that speed issue page, I think all it's saying is download the disc image, burn it and then run it when you reboot.

If you can't use your CDrom, download the floppy image instead, write it to a floppy, reboot and run it with the new disc attached.

Ta for that, I think I get what to do though I don't understand what will happen when I boot.

Edit: Four floppies in the house and none of them work.

That does seem like rather a lot to have paid, especially if your now having trouble accessing the drive, I'd be well  furious

The service for the data recovery was really good to be honest, just FUCKING EXPENSIVE.

Macs still get HD failures Smiley

That's not the point, is it true with MACS you can buy a hard drive, plug it in and it will actually fucking work? Oh brave new world, take me there because I'm about to throw my abit BH7 out the fucking window.

Cheers for the help guys, it is much appreciated its just I've spent all afternoon on this and got nowhere. Every option seems to be fucked over by sod's law fucking something else over.

Adam - the motherboard will only support 4 devices at a time. If you use SATA then one of the IDE's will be redundant. I can't remember which one, Look at the support pages for the BH7, Infact I'll look now for you

Word, now we're getting somewhere, thing is I only want four devices - three hard drives and a cd. Or do I have to ditch the floppy and the card reader to get that. The floppy can get fucked that's for sure, this is the first time I've ever used it and its been fuck all use.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#33 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 22, 2007, 05:54:52 pm
Or is that three cos each IDE cable only has two devices on it, plus one on the SATA?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#34 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 22, 2007, 05:57:30 pm
The floppy is on its own,
you can have 3 devices on the ide and one on sata. I'm just looking to see which IDE you can't use. give us a sec

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#35 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 22, 2007, 05:59:52 pm
which ever one your cd was on is the one you can't use with SATA, the other 3 should be fine.
The manual for BH7 doesn't appear to be on abit support anymore. ring me if you need any more help

dave

#36 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 23, 2007, 09:38:57 am

Those that do backups

Or fools like me who have had drive failures but still dont' back stuff up enough.

or people like me who've never had a HD fail but still do backups anyway. So thats 4 types of person. maybe the original point was a typo and should have read 22.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#37 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 23, 2007, 11:02:27 am
maybe the original point was a typo and should have read 22.

Nah, I copied and pasted it from someone else's forum signature.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#38 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 27, 2007, 10:52:32 am
Update - after a couple of days supervising Scouts abseiling for cash at the Dome, I returned with renewed gumption and managed to get the patch to work by first disabling the SATA, burning the cd, applying the patch, then re-abling? the SATA. So the new drive is now working, all the data back etc, just need to back it up now...

Can't get the CD drive working as well though. If one IDE is switched off, does that mean the port? where the cable plugs in? Or just one of the connectors on the ribbon? Currently have both IDE drives on one IDE ribbon/port, plus the SATA one. The other IDE ribbon doesn't seem to work, though I'm not sure if I've checked both of the Ribbon connectors.

Cheers for the help y'all.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#39 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 27, 2007, 04:04:35 pm
I'd try running two on each ribbon rather than 3 on 1 and 1 on the other but then i'm not sure there any solid reasoning behind that.

How were they set up before you installed the SATA drive?

If you've changed things around you might have to alter the master/slave jumper settings on the rear of the devices. If on your old setup, the CD-ROM drive was on the end of the IDE chain it will probably be set as a slave device.

I believe that if you attach it on it's own to the seperate IDE cable then you want to set the jumpers as master.

Jim will probably come on in a bit and tell you all this is lies - i usually just get there by trial and error and a vague idea of what i'm doing :)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#40 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 27, 2007, 06:50:54 pm
the sata disables the ide-2 master. change the jumper setting on the back of the cd to slave and it should work fine

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#41 Re: Hard drive data recovery
November 27, 2007, 07:00:22 pm
Nice word, that's fixed it!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal