UKBouldering.com

Will eating protein based foods after training help (Read 28889 times)

Eddies

• forum hero
I climb for around an hour and a half, then do weights... I havent tried protien shakes before but have decided to give the HXS a go.
But having a shake 12hrs before i exersise seems a bit pointless No?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:44:31 pm by Eddies »

Paul B

• forum hero
if its hurricane xs then yes, its bascially using it as an expensive increase in your daily protein and the dextrose in there isn't ideal. Replace with Total Protein would make more sense in my un educated opinion.
I think your sessions are way to long and probably slightly counter productive as well... 2.5 hours that's a lot of time!

Eddies

• forum hero
"I think your sessions are way to long and probably slightly counter productive"

Please explain?

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Might be suggesting that a 2 1/2 hour session is a long 'intensive' training session, requiring longer recovery time in order to benefit from any training!

Finish training whilst still feeling reasonably fresh is the best policy.

Paul B

• forum hero
"I think your sessions are way to long and probably slightly counter productive"

Please explain?

I can't without knowing what you're doing exactly but I'm guessing you're just increasing the amount of rest you need between session by doing such high volume. Hopefully the weights oppose the climbing at the very least?

Eddies

• forum hero
I get to the wall Tuesdays and Thursdays and usually start by bouldering for and hour and a half untill my fingers get tired then do free weights.
I always stop before im knakered, i wouldnt say its intensive as such. plenty of rests between problems/sets.

All i really want to know is wether im better off with a HXS shake a few hours before i train and one sttaight afterwards as opposed to one in the morning and one after on my training days?

Paul B

• forum hero
No, the simple carbs (Dextrose in this case [I think ]) that it contains aren't of much use any other time but PWO.

Eddies

• forum hero
*Sigh* Nevermind

Paul B

• forum hero

simes

• stalker
    • http://www.simes303.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
With recovery or just make me fat?

Assuming I have had a meal at 5pm and get home from training at 9-10pm. Trying to increase from 3 to 4/5 sessions a week. With two days in a row mid week and 2 days outside at the weekend.

Anyone have a post session snack that helps?

I know it's an old topic but reading it through didn't seem to answer the original question.

When I was at uni a long time ago I was told that on a training day the best time to eat a load of protein was 5 hours before the workout. For quite some time we all ate loads of tuna sandwiches at 12 O'clock and trained at 5. Reading that back has just made me giggle but I don't know why.

Two questions:

1) Where can I find a cheap shake type thingy, regardless of what it tastes like?

2) When should I drink it relative to the session? ie before, after, how long?

Cheers, Si.

Paul B

• forum hero
1) Myprotein.co.uk although its getting less competitive and the taste isn't as good, alternatively if you're Sheffield based and fancy buying some raspberry flavoured stuff then I've got an excess (Pm me).

2) It depends on the contents of what you buy and what you intend using it for, if its pre then pre, if its post then its post, if its just plain old protein you can even go during, with your breakfast, before your afternoon turd etc.

Most shakes etc. will state when they're best used.

stonemonkey

• regular
you can overload on protein and although their are no BAD side effects you are literally throwing money down the toilet. You may experience excess gas of a really smelly nature, however if you rty to overload your body simply cannot absorb the levels and just gets rid as waste, it will store protein to some extent, but when you get some athletes taking 25-30grams of protein through shakes several times a day, a lot is lost. I will try to dig out a recent paper on protein and amino acid absorption rates

jdb099

Anyone have advice on a low-calorie but still high-protein supplement for after training?

Paul B

• forum hero
anything that is simply protein should fit the bill.

Pick your POISON

stonemonkey

• regular
im taking a 90% soya protein powder from holland a barret which is priced very reasonably and doesn't taste like poo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal