UKBouldering.com

The future of mobile computing? (Read 54735 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#100 Re: The future of mobile computing?
August 27, 2009, 03:48:12 pm

And it sounds like the N900 'net tablet' will help to further blur the line between computers and phones.  Looks pretty  8)

Officially announced today.

I like Nokia phones + I love GNU/Linux == N900 for me :D

Video makes it look well "smart"  :bounce:  Think I'll be looking to get one of these when my contracts up later in the year  :bounce:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#101 Re: The future of mobile computing?
August 29, 2009, 08:02:01 am
back to netbooks.
I got my eee 1000HE a few weeks ago, I bought it 'openbox' from ebuyer cos it was a bit cheaper than brandnew and came with all full warrenty etc.. it was practically brand new
It had a graphics/screen fault so I sent it back and they sent me out another one that was actually brand new so saved a few quid there.
Anyway, I love it, the battery live is simple outstanding and it works great straight out the box.
I've just upgraded the memory to 2gb 800mhz and will be putting windows 7 on it in the next few days.
Question;
what is the best way to go about completely backing up the hard drive so I can restore it if I need to make another warrenty claim?
I think obi-wan recomended macrium reflect in another thread, has anyone used this? it seems fairly easy to back up, how do you go about restoring? does it create a bootable dvd or pendrive?
anydone it or recomend another bit of software?
cheers

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#102 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 07, 2009, 02:33:17 pm
Sounds like you got a right bargain there Jim  :thumbsup:

This little beauty from Dell gets a fairly decent review from El Reg

You can even purchase it free from viruses and save yourself £50 (thats like twenty fuck alls you can spend on beer instead!).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#103 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 07, 2009, 02:46:44 pm
You can even purchase it free from viruses and save yourself £50

and I suppose you'll be telling me that the 80GB hard drive will give you just as much storage under Umbongo as the 160GB one will under XP?

;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#104 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 07, 2009, 02:49:50 pm
Quote from: lagerstarfish link=topic=8269.msg217763#msg217763
Umbongo

;D

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#105 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 07, 2009, 02:50:32 pm
Dell prices look ok until you see that they don't include delivery or VAT.

tomtom

• forum hero
#106 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 07, 2009, 02:54:40 pm
Dell prices look ok until you see that they don't include delivery or VAT.
Looks a bit clunky too - and only 2 hours from the battery (standard) ouch...

Still very happy with my NC10.... seems to do more than the Dell, for less and is older  :shrug: (apart from touch screen should you want one...)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#107 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 07, 2009, 03:08:10 pm
You can even purchase it free from viruses and save yourself £50

and I suppose you'll be telling me that the 80GB hard drive will give you just as much storage under Umbongo as the 160GB one will under XP?

;)

Well it depends on the block size you choose when partitioning your HD.  If you go for a large block-size and only store very small bits of data (read files) then you'll find that because a block can't be shared between different bits of data you'll have lots wasted.  If you were going to have lots of small files on a system then you'd do well to go for a smaller block-size to avoid wastage.  Thus potentially there can be a lot of wasted disk space on any computer system.

And since when you buy a system pre-installed with M$-virus-ware you don't get the opportunity to specify the block size (although the same is true with the alternative, but its easy and free to re-install, choose your filesystem of choice and specify the block-size).

Hadn't clocked the battery life was so poor, had looked at the six-cell option which is more reasonable.  More usefully it indicates that you can haggle over the price in the review I meant to link above.

tomtom

• forum hero
#108 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 07, 2009, 03:19:03 pm
Hadn't clocked the battery life was so poor, had looked at the six-cell option which is more reasonable.  More usefully it indicates that you can haggle over the price in the review I meant to link above.

Having an 8 hour battery life is really useful... Couple of times I've gone to work and forgotten the charger, no problem. Transatlantic flights.. easy.. Just having it sat around thehouse means you dont have to worry about charging the thing up or having leads everywhere.. If you 100% the cpu it drops to c.3 hours but great for normal use..
I Like the idea of a touch screen though...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#109 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 07, 2009, 03:35:40 pm
Having an 8 hour battery life is really useful... Couple of times I've gone to work and forgotten the charger, no problem. Transatlantic flights.. easy.. Just having it sat around thehouse means you dont have to worry about charging the thing up or having leads everywhere.. If you 100% the cpu it drops to c.3 hours but great for normal use..
I Like the idea of a touch screen though...

Long battery life and touch screens are pretty much incommensurable given that the display eats roughly 1/3 of all power.  The following (poorly constructed and unreferenced graph) is from the Gentoo Power Management Guide, clicky if you're geek enough to be bothered about tuning your linux systems for greater power management efficiency...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#110 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 07, 2009, 06:19:01 pm
Sounds like you got a right bargain there Jim  :thumbsup:

This little beauty from Dell gets a fairly decent review from El Reg

You can even purchase it free from viruses and save yourself £50 (thats like twenty fuck alls you can spend on beer instead!).

I've got one of those with the long life battery and touch screen. I was impressed with it until I saw a NC10. Still not convinced by the touch screen as it's not a 'tablet' in that you can't really write on it very easily. It is chunky especially with the big batt. The NC10 battery hardly sticks out at all, not sure how they have done it.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#111 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 07, 2009, 11:00:11 pm
how you getting on with your acer toby?

any one got any recomendations for cheapish net books with a slightly bigger screen (11"ish)?
my parents love my eee and can't put it down when they're round and I've got instructions to make it happen at their house

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#112 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 07, 2009, 11:28:01 pm
how you getting on with your acer toby?
Good, prefer it to the work Dell. Not as good as an NC10 but half the cost. However Win7 isn't happy yet so may have to revert back to XP.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#113 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 08, 2009, 08:42:12 am
what up with win 7 on netbook?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#114 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 08, 2009, 08:45:02 am
I had problems building my eee 900 with win7 RC1 - it turned out it was because i had used a checked build. So happy with Ubuntu that I'm waiting for actual Windows7 before I bother again. Is this still october?

tomtom

• forum hero
#115 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 08, 2009, 08:55:18 am
Win7 worked fine on NC10. Smooth. The display brightness buttons dont work out of the box, but I suspect that could be patched/worked around. I'm just lazy and wanted to see how programs would work on it.

T

PS, anyone have a spare copy of OSX 10.5.6 they'd like to let me use/have/buy?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#116 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 08, 2009, 08:58:01 am

Going for dual-booting (or tripple booting) with OSx86 then?

tomtom

• forum hero
#117 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 08, 2009, 09:08:10 am

Going for dual-booting (or tripple booting) with OSx86 then?
Yup  :) could be quad booting if I went for Linux too  ;)

I'll probably put it on a Dell laptop I have from work, as the wifi card on the NC10 has to be changed for OSX (otherwise a clean install apparently), and as its a works machine if I f*ck it up its no problem...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#118 Re: The future of mobile computing?
September 08, 2009, 10:02:20 am
Im using win 7 x64 RTM on my big computer and now on my HTPC with media center and apart from some codec issues relating to surround sound I can't really fault it - its great.
Will be putting win 7 x86 on my eee 1000HE when I get a spare hour or 2

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
#120 Re: The future of mobile computing?
October 06, 2009, 05:16:13 pm
I'm getting my daughter a netbook any minute now to replace her 3.5kg room heater of a P4 laptop, and wanted a bigger screen than 10". The Samsung NC20, Eeepc 1101 and acer aspire one 751 seem to fit the bill.

The 751 seemed really slow and a bit fragile (but cheaper), so heading towards the Samsung or the 1101. Any beta on these models or indeed Samsung? I'm inclined to the EeePC by reputation and battery life.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#121 Re: The future of mobile computing?
October 06, 2009, 06:13:22 pm
my eee 1000he has amazing battery life, put windows 7 on it now and a 2gig ram upgrade as well and it runs like a dream although has only a 10" screen

tomtom

• forum hero
#122 Re: The future of mobile computing?
October 06, 2009, 08:46:32 pm
NC10 still going strong - 7 months old now, still feels fine. Not seen the NC20, but I'd certainly be happy getting another Samsung..

inn wislon

• regular
    • I'll get you, Butler!
#123 Re: The future of mobile computing?
October 07, 2009, 11:52:52 pm
Not tonight.

My bad. It's Curry's on Chesterfield Road:

Did anybody else notice the pikey masturbating in the foreground of this street view?????

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal