UKBouldering.com

Driving to Font - A few questions (Read 32788 times)

runt

• obsessive maniac
#25 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 23, 2007, 10:12:55 am
On a roundabout tip, keep your eyes peeled for frenchies who enjoy going right round in the outside lane.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#26 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 23, 2007, 10:47:55 am
Well this is what the AA has to say on the matter of what to carry in your car in france.
Special features: Warning triangle or hazard warning lights compulsory (recommended that warning triangle always be carried). It is recommended that visitors equip their vehicle with a set of replacement bulbs. Snow chains must be fitted to vehicles using snow-covered roads in compliance with the relevant road sign. In built-up areas give way to traffic coming from the right “priorité a droite”. At signed roundabouts bearing the words "Vous n'avez pas la priorité" or "Cédez le passage" traffic on the roundabout has priority; where no such sign exists traffic entering the roundabout has priority. In built up areas the use of the horn is prohibited except in cases of immediate danger.
It is recommended to wear a reflective jacket when exiting a vehicle which is stopped on the carriageway or on the side of a road outside a built up area.

So, in short you don't need a warning triangle if you have hazzard lights and the replacement bulbs and reflective jacket are recomended.

The RAC website say the same thing. http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/going_on_a_journey/driving_abroad/european_motoring_advisor/countrylookup

The only thing you CAN be fined for is not converting your headlights.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#27 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 23, 2007, 10:59:23 am
On a roundabout tip, keep your eyes peeled for frenchies who enjoy going right round in the outside lane.

And for older drivers slowing/stopping in the middle of the roundabout to let you out as they are still following the "priorité à droite" :o

From Wikipedia...

In most of Continental Europe, the default priority is to give way to the right, but this default may be overridden by signs or road markings. In France, priority was initially according to the social rank of each traveler, but early in the life of the automobile this rule was deemed impractical and replaced with the "priorité à droite" (priority to the right) rule, which was employed until the 1980s. At a roundabout, "priorité à droite" works this way: traffic already on the roundabout gives way to traffic entering the roundabout. Most French roundabouts now have give-way signs for traffic entering the roundabout, but there remain some notable exceptions that operate on the old rule, such as the Place de l'Étoile around the Arc de Triomphe. Traffic on this particular roundabout is so chaotic that French insurance companies deem any accident on the roundabout to be equal liability.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#28 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 23, 2007, 12:26:05 pm
Well this is what the AA has to say.......
The only thing you CAN be fined for is not converting your headlights.

Interesting, I'm sure that'll piss my pal off loads :lol:  The copper was obviously being a :wank:

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#29 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 23, 2007, 03:34:38 pm
I'd recommend skirting around paris on the A104/N104/A4/A5b/A6 rather than the 'phrique, it's longer but oh so civilised in comparison.

this is the knowledge! its quicker!

golt when i was working in france i went with all my belongings packed to the ceiling of my shitty 205, luckily i had a month's training of wing mirrors only driving before going, since the rear view mirror had dropped off.

i was blinding people despite stickers due to the weight of all my shit in the back.

because your insurance sometimes only covers you for up to "a defined period" a year abroad - you sometimes have to notify them in advance when you are going.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#30 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 23, 2007, 03:52:04 pm
I'd recommend skirting around paris on the A104/N104/A4/A5b/A6 rather than the 'phrique, it's longer but oh so civilised in comparison.

this is the knowledge! its quicker!

I'd second the notion that its quicker (even if it is longer), mainly because you don't sit in gridlocked traffic for three hours (or go round the 'phrique the wrong way as I found myself doing upon waking up the first time I went to Font after catching the EuroTunnel at some ridiculous time in the morning to save money).

Its a little confusing to navigate the junctions and get the right slip roads but saves a shed load of time.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#31 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 24, 2007, 11:37:15 am
"tis indeed my prefered route... fuck getting totalled on the freak..

16:30 leave cuvier... 22:30 2 pints of stella in local boozer in sheff... ;D

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#32 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 25, 2007, 07:41:34 pm
was going to punter you for drinking stella but realized it was a little harsh.
Have only done the freak once myself, always gone east around paris previously. was ok but early in morning on weekend so not so much traffic

cofe

• forum hero
#33 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 25, 2007, 08:20:25 pm
can't believe people consider peripherique. just drive round.

once nearly crashed into a mattress when driving around paris.

clm

• forum hero
#34 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 25, 2007, 09:20:00 pm
was going to punter you for drinking stella but realized it was a little harsh.
Have only done the freak once myself, always gone east around paris previously. was ok but early in morning on weekend so not so much traffic

You did it at easter too but you were asleep!

Dude

• addict
#35 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 26, 2007, 09:56:22 am
It's definitely worth fitting the headlight things of you'll be blinding all the drivers on the other side of the road!

Bit of gaffer or insulation tape works fine, and saves u 6 quid!

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#36 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 26, 2007, 12:19:38 pm
yep a real money saver, right up until the moment you hit a rock on the side of the road and trash your wheel and tyre.

FFS if you can't spend £8 on some 'beam benders' to drive safely you're a  :wank: Imagine how we'd feel about loads of French / Poles spending £250 on a trip to the grit but not bothering to spend a few euro to make their car legal.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#37 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 27, 2007, 10:13:18 am
The A104/N104 etc. method is my favourite. On some maps, the route is actually marked/highlighted as Le Francilienne.
On the way there there is one particularly badly signposted bit. Where you turn off the A1, just after CDG airport and you are on some kind of large sliproad - the signs for the A104/Marne disappear until the very last minute (ie above the point where the lanes are split with big concrete barriers). I think (?) that of the 4 lanes available to you, it is the 2nd from the left (3rd from right in euros) that is the correct one. Anyone else know for sure?

Sloper

• forum hero
#38 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 27, 2007, 12:21:45 pm
The A104/N104 etc. method is my favourite. On some maps, the route is actually marked/highlighted as Le Francilienne.
On the way there there is one particularly badly signposted bit. Where you turn off the A1, just after CDG airport and you are on some kind of large sliproad - the signs for the A104/Marne disappear until the very last minute (ie above the point where the lanes are split with big concrete barriers). I think (?) that of the 4 lanes available to you, it is the 2nd from the left (3rd from right in euros) that is the correct one. Anyone else know for sure?

Yep that's a bit confusing, it helps when you've done it about 20 times.  I'll try and remember as I'm off to Font in about 4 hours (pity me, come on I mean it's a hard life).

As I recall they also did some modifications around the A4/104 junction so I'll have to be awake for that section.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#39 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 27, 2007, 12:58:42 pm
Well all you have to do is follow signs for bordeaux (rather easy in you case  :P) then the last junction onto the A6 is signed for Every.

btw see you at the weekend.

Sloper

• forum hero
#40 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 27, 2007, 02:07:58 pm
The trouble is I've been drinking too much burgundy at the moment, yes see you this weekend.

Paul B

• forum hero
#41 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 27, 2007, 02:32:49 pm
just got back from the maisonbleau which I believe is where your headed? if so the place is really damn good, enjoy.

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#42 Re: Driving to Font - A few questions
November 28, 2007, 07:40:36 pm
...just try not to be skinning up in the passenger seat (i.e. out in the middle of the lane) just as 3 police motorcycles swoop round the side of you, look you in the eye and motion for you to pull over. sharpish. chilling...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Yep that's a bit confusing, it helps when you've done it about 20 times.  I'll try and remember as I'm off to Font in about 4 hours (pity me, come on I mean it's a hard life).

As I recall they also did some modifications around the A4/104 junction so I'll have to be awake for that section.

Driving down on Saturday and was wondering if either of you could confirm of the route.

I remember having to zip across quite a few lanes into the middle to catch the slip road to the A104, is that correct?  Have there been any major road alterations?  Finally do you know what towns are signposted along with the A104?  I think in the past I've followed the A104 to its end, head back towards Paris for a mile or two, then followed the N104 down through Melun.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I chatted to some Swedish guys who relied on their Satnav, and went straight through the middle of Paris. They described it as "exciting".

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

Google Earth has some very clear pictures of this section of the road. It is actually the 3rd from the left (2nd from R) of the 4 lanes that takes you onto the 104 towards Marne La Valee. No changes in road layout when we went in April. If you do that directions to/from thing on Google Earth for sections of the route it gives you a good idea of how it really is, although it does show some random wandering accross lanes - perhaps that is how its meant to be?
I've got this route wired now and can probably draw details of my beta on to a picture from google earth if necessary Slackers. let me know if you need more detail.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Google Earth has some very clear pictures of this section of the road. It is actually the 3rd from the left (2nd from R) of the 4 lanes that takes you onto the 104 towards Marne La Valee. No changes in road layout when we went in April. If you do that directions to/from thing on Google Earth for sections of the route it gives you a good idea of how it really is, although it does show some random wandering accross lanes - perhaps that is how its meant to be?
I've got this route wired now and can probably draw details of my beta on to a picture from google earth if necessary Slackers. let me know if you need more detail.

Cheers for that lagers, have done it a few times but not for the past year or so.  Have checked out the satellite images (neat idea, hadn't thought of that, putting the route in works ), and with your sanity check, a (hopefully) well behaved SatNav (fully loaded with Jim's POI's) I reckon I should be fine.

I chatted to some Swedish guys who relied on their Satnav, and went straight through the middle of Paris. They described it as "exciting".

Thats exactly the sort of excitement I'm trying to avoid (that and the boredom of sitting in queues of traffic).

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
When going from calais/dunkirk using sat nav, it will always take you through the center of paris because on paper it is the quickest route, but by only a few minutes, and if there is no traffic. Once satnav has planned the route, tell it to travel via mitry-mory and this will be the optimum route, taken only a couple of minutes longer on paper than striaght through the middle (in reality its is much quicker)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
When going from calais/dunkirk using sat nav, it will always take you through the center of paris because on paper it is the quickest route, but by only a few minutes, and if there is no traffic. Once satnav has planned the route, tell it to travel via mitry-mory and this will be the optimum route, taken only a couple of minutes longer on paper than striaght through the middle (in reality its is much quicker)

Good knowledge there Jim, cheers.  I was going to try telling it to go via specific roads, but this sounds a lot easier than.  Cheers.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Just got an email from Norfolkline offering £5 discounts on ferry crossings (Dover <---> Dunkerque) if booked before 15th June and traveling before the 17th December 2008.

Go here and use the promotional code CN2

Not much of a saving, but Dover <--> Dunkerque route is normally cheaper than Dover <-->Calais and makes little difference to the driving time to Font (and is closer to Belgium).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal