UKBouldering.com

Complete Rest (Read 2444 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Complete Rest
November 13, 2007, 11:10:14 pm
I heard something a few months back about a Russian (I think) gymnastics coach who advocated and indeed enforced a month of complete rest upon the members of his national squad. Was I being spun a yarn here in the hope that I'd rest for a month and be a laughable lard arse upon my return or was this likely fact?

The reason I ask is that due to a pulley injury and a bout of illness, I haven't climbed 'properly' in a month now. Injury-wise, I feel more than ready to resume normal service, but I can't help wondering if enforced rest may have helped me in certain ways. I understand that sounds nonsensical but I feel much lighter and in better condition than when I was training/climbing prior to injury.Obviously I won't know if this is fact or fantasy until tomorrow when I pull down (hoping the former!) 'properly'.

I know very little of the effects of prolonged rest in sport and would like to know more about it from those in the know.

EDIT - Just made the schoolboy error and forgot there was a thread on this not that long ago  ::)

Still, its always good to hear some science fact I suppose. My apologies.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: Complete Rest
November 13, 2007, 11:42:49 pm
I know nothing of the science behind it, but...
I am familiar with that fresh feeling after a few weeks proper rest (ie not due to being too pissed/fukced up to do anything else). It is real and it does result in some impressive strength performance on the crag (stamina is usually shite though). I have found that there is a very small difference between being warmed up and knackered in these situations and I need a much longer recovery period than pre-time-off (4-5 days+). I know what you mean about that "lighter" feeling too. The only downside I've noticed in such situations is a lack of confidence in being high up coupled with rusty falling off skills.
Hope it goes well for you

BenF

• forum hero
#2 Re: Complete Rest
November 14, 2007, 08:14:38 am
Obviously I won't know if this is fact or fantasy until tomorrow when I pull down (hoping the former!) 'properly'.

Are you heading down the board tonight then?  If I get out of school at some kind of reasonable hour today, I'll probably be down there for a short session of trying to get injured on shit holds.  Not promising anything though as I'm tired from yesterday.

dave

#3 Re: Complete Rest
November 14, 2007, 09:20:42 am
I always feel shite after any period of rest of more than say a week. it overrated. perhaps good if you're crippled with injury though.

Monolith

• forum hero
#4 Re: Complete Rest
November 14, 2007, 09:53:09 am
It's probably weight loss from a virus that's left me feeling light, but I feel seriously lighter than pre-injury/illness. Awesome.

Ordinarily dave I'd say the same...

Ben- Have pm'd you.

Monolith

• forum hero
#5 Re: Complete Rest
November 19, 2007, 12:43:43 pm
I really did feel lighter on saturday icing a move i've previously tried and got nowhere with. It seems heavy fever is the way to go..

saintlade

• player
#6 Re: Complete Rest
November 19, 2007, 01:00:22 pm
Seriously could you get any lighter? You must be a full on ghost by now. Could do with shedding some excess weight, maybe bird flu is the way to go? :shrug:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#7 Re: Complete Rest
November 19, 2007, 01:41:27 pm
Complete rest is better than overdoing it.
Proper rehab is better than complete rest.
So there.   8)

Monolith

• forum hero
#8 Re: Complete Rest
November 19, 2007, 01:57:14 pm
Seriously could you get any lighter? You must be a full on ghost by now. Could do with shedding some excess weight, maybe bird flu is the way to go? :shrug:

Stulaaaaaade!!!! A ghost maybe, but a well rested one. Drop us a pm mate and let us know how you're doing. It'd been a while..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal