UKBouldering.com

My license breathes a sigh of relief.... (Read 3447 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
My license breathes a sigh of relief....
July 24, 2003, 07:50:37 am
6 points can now no longer be used against me for totting up - the remaining 3 dissapear in a month's time.

I'm amazed I've avoided a ban really  :D

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
Hehe my wife got a letter from police yesterday and she was clocked over  the speed limit by ....

Wait for it ...

2 mph over the limit  !! WTF

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
God that's a bit harsh - no need for that. Can't she get out of that on the grounds that her speedo might be out?

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
Well the speed limit is 50 mph and she is allowed for 10% extra for mph calibration so she was clocked at 57 mph.

Funny really as other day she was telling me off for driving too fast!!  :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Ah, I see - bad luck  :(

There was one government minister who was campaining for zero-tolerances on speeding offences - one mph over the limit and you were busted. So a load of journalists followed him about with a speed gun. After they'd clocked him at various speeds over the 30 he got the message  :D

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
Nice one !!  :lol:

Is the national speed limit go up to 80mph than 70mph now?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Dunno, not heard that it was but 70 on the motorway is a pisstake anyway and I've never heard of anyone getting done for anything under 85. Thing is, even if the raised it to 80, I reckon they'd still keep the unofficial 85 rule.

Since my points, I usually sit at an indicated 90 (as opposed to 100 - 110 before) and haven't had any problems.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
6 points of mine come off in September (116mph on M69, court appearance, 6pts and £385penalty), another three in December (60 in a 40 on M61) and the final 3 in May next year (50 in a 30 on the A1, another court appearance and a further £165 fine). It will feel wierd not having loads of points.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
How the hell did you avoid a ban if you've got 12 points? You were lucky on the 116 - some would get banned just for that!

I spend half my time checking my mirrors; check every potential plain clothes car - no dealer/model logos, high end car (look for a phat exhaust), anything odd on the windscreen, pig in the driving seat ( :P ), and never speed past junctions where they'll sit on the entry ramp - seems to work most of the time. The one time I ignored my own rule and blasted past a junction I got busted.

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
One of my mate got fined £2000 and automatic banned for 2 years for driving at 142mph on 50mph limit zone couple of years ago  :shock:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
That's not really surprising - you could potentially be jailed for that !

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
You can also just smell the air for the unmistakeable scent of bacon!

Both times I went to court I had a letter from my employer explaining that my job depended upon my ability to drive, plus if you are prepared to show humility and explain you knew what you were doing and that you are sorry then you can at least get off the first time! Going to court and claiming to have 'not noticed', 'its not my car - I drifted up' when you are 46mph over the speed limit is driving without due care and attn. One of my colleagues had gotten off with 125 a couple of weeks previous and had gone through saying that he had not slept since it happened as he was so worried, and that he had taken a long hard look at himself and all that shite - anyway, it did work!

I think as they see so many scallies who do 90 in a 30 in a NovaGTE (not sure thats even possible) with complete contempt that the sight of someone clearly shitting bricks in a shirt and tie is a relief.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
First rule about speeding, dont talk about speeding

The first time you do, you will go out, and no doubt get caught

Sods Law

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal