UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 398739 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1400 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 17, 2024, 08:52:56 am

Had an amazing week!......
It seemed like it was a popular week in Flaine for climbers with Leo Houlding and Steve McClure both being there.

Sounds ace. I've yet to hit Flaine on a great powder day, came close once, but Vernant was closed due to high wind, so hoovered up what we could in and around the Samoen / Morillon side (still tons TBF). Hard not to default to Praz de Lys though as it's usually dead quiet even on powder days and doesn't get tracked out. Worth a visit if you are nearby with a car.   

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#1401 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
July 26, 2024, 02:44:14 am

This is the kinda forecast i like to see immediately before a trip  :great:

Intrigued to see what southern hemisphere snow has to offer and how the new stick likes it down there (doing a backcountry and avalanche course in Wanaka next week, with a days heliski booked for next Thurs to try and get the best out of all that fresh snow that's inbound)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1402 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
July 26, 2024, 09:15:52 am
Excellent. Don't expect much from the resorts though, they are pretty small. Treble Cone would be good on a powder day though.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#1403 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
July 27, 2024, 08:20:52 am
Excellent. Don't expect much from the resorts though, they are pretty small. Treble Cone would be good on a powder day though.

Thanks Chris - have a free day tomorrow before course starts so will head up to TC to check it out

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1404 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
July 29, 2024, 11:13:36 am
IIRC there are some itineraries with hike in or skin out, worth doing some investigating, or asking locally.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#1405 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
August 04, 2024, 07:49:13 am
oh yes...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1406 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 02, 2024, 10:40:36 am
Some very cheap solid and split boards on Sportpursuit at the mo, mostly big and small sizes but some good brands inc Amplid and Arbor.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • junky
  • Stealth Punter
#1407 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 04, 2024, 10:36:40 am
When I saw the Amplid Freequencer there for under 300 notes I nearly spat my tea on me lappy!!  :o

Thank Christ it's not in my size or I'd be £289 poorer and trying to explain a snowboard sized parcel to the Mrs  :lol:

Winter is coming!  :clap2:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1408 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 04, 2024, 11:07:34 am
I know - and the implication is that it includes skins.

I could get away with a 153 but really would be better spending on slopetime.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1409 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 04, 2024, 11:32:51 am
I hovered, but decided a set of ski touring kit is enough and hard to justify a splitty too for the 1-2 weeks a year. Sods law that Scotland will now have a bumper winter.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1410 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 04, 2024, 01:32:08 pm
Some very cheap solid and split boards on Sportpursuit at the mo, mostly big and small sizes but some good brands inc Amplid and Arbor.

Was toying with the idea of a split board a few years back, but not been on a board or kept up with tech for a decade or so. Have a Burton custom X 156 which I bought in 2006. I am 5'10/177cm and always went off the understanding of a board comes to your chin.

Thinking of making a purchase as a friend has just bought a place in Aosta and toyed with the idea of getting out there a bit over the winter.

What kind of size would be a good all rounder. (Given my height) We are similar height aren't we Adam?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1411 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 04, 2024, 02:56:43 pm
I'm 5'8". It is more dependent on your weight (I'm 74kg) and boot size, plus a lot of modern powder boards have got shorter but wider to maintain area and accommodate big feet (although dedicated split designs tend to buck this trend to fit in the skin track). Then with directional boards like mine the tail is effectively cut-off so you get a longer running edge and similar effective surface area but the length is shorter. Plus some (older?) boards seem to be measured along the base vs length overall.

Normally you size up for deep snow, so for you traditionally 159-161 depending on weight - my solid is 154 but wider, split is 159 and narrower. It feels a tiny bit big, but it's also highly directional.

If the Amplid freequencer includes skins (I would defo check) it's mega deal, worth a punt just to get started. The 153 would be on the small side but - if your feet fit - probably preferable to a 166 unless you're guaranteed snorkelling conditions (specs on amplid.com say 153<80kg<166). After a 156 custom it shouldn't feel much different, a touch easier to turn but not tiny. Amplid also have a direct outlet which always has good deals and occasional great ones. The Amplid skins are made

The Arbor boards are not such great deals but they have mid sizes and are well reviewed. The Satori is more of a modern wider board so probably sizing slightly shorter than your custom would be fine, but again check the specs.

Once you factor in pucks, bindings, skins, poles, avvy gear it does get quite spenny mind... but you can always upgrade the board when the sales come round next year. Second hand splits in half decent condition sell for >£250 on ebay. I think there was a big split boom due to covid so good end-of-line deals now seem a lot more common than pre-covid.

I feel like that Sommelier 166 has got Lager's name all over it...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1412 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 04, 2024, 04:02:14 pm
That was what I had an eye on too! Can't justify though. 

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1413 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 04, 2024, 11:17:09 pm

I feel like that Sommelier 166 has got Lager's name all over it...

I thought that, but not quite wide enough for my fucked up stance

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#1414 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 04, 2024, 11:35:59 pm
While I'm thinking about the white stuff....
I have the same challet booked in Jasna for Sheffield February half term (week starting Sat 15 and Sun 16 February) and it's looking like a few people have pulled out due to GCSEs and other stuff.
Should be around £300 per person for accommodation, daily lifts to the resort, evening lifts to entertainment, breakfast every day and transfer from Poprad airport - depending on how many of us go.
Any of you folks interested?
There isn't a "ski school" type setup for kids, but lessons with English speaking instructors are easy to arrange.
Any questions?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 12:10:49 am by lagerstarfish »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#1415 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 04, 2024, 11:39:10 pm
Lift passes aren't crazy cheap any more, but eating and drinking on the mountain is still pretty reasonable.
Decent place
https://chaletjasna.co.uk/chalet-1/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 11:52:46 pm by lagerstarfish »

thomas rĝllins

#1416 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 05, 2024, 04:18:14 am

Was toying with the idea of a split board a few years back, but not been on a board or kept up with tech for a decade or so. Have a Burton custom X 156 which I bought in 2006. I am 5'10/177cm and always went off the understanding of a board comes to your chin.

As (I think?) Adam is hinting at above, sizing snowboards these days is more about weight than height. This is especially pertinent to climbers who often have lower BMI's than the norm ... i.e they are often tall for their weight, and therefore should be sizing snowboards shorter than the average dude of similar height. I have been riding 159-161 snowboard/ splitboards for years but recently bought a 154 resort board (Jones Tweaker) at a similarly-ectomorphic friend's suggestion: an absolute revelation, who knew boards could turn so easily?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal