UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 342669 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1375 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 15, 2024, 07:15:34 am
https://youtu.be/Gm2gLbsahB8?si=m4tRcDn9vzSR8P02 For the older gents, there's stil life in the old dog yet.  Part of me feels a bit sad that the best of those days are now probably behind me (global warming, knees) but I guess it means I treasure each one more now.

Didn't manage to get a lot of boarding in this year. We had a couple of days in Austria en-route to Slovenia, but the place we booked was a bit low so the snow was not amazing - mainly skied, as I find that more fun if I'm mainly just bashing piste and messing around on the edges.

Had one day at Moltaller Gletcher, which if the snow had been better (it had snowed about 8-10cm, but clearly wasn't very cold even up to high levels), and the weather was clearer would be a great wee off piste haven - all good angles, non crevassed glacier and lots of lines in between the limited pistes. Again, was on the skis.

Still hoping for one more day (one of those late march mega dumps you get), but currently the weather is 15c so it's way more tempting to go climbing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1376 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 15, 2024, 08:00:58 am
I thought you were back in blighty? I fear for some of the major Austrian resorts with bases  below 1000m (Kitzbuhel, Shladming, a lot of the Wilder Kaiser) guess they will need to rely on godolas to get up to the skiing more and more.

I ski 90% of the time these days too, but had my old board out on the pistes the last morning (very stiff Burton Baron midwide 168) and forgotten what fun it is to blast about on. Powder is a (rare) dilemma as I have full ski touring setup, but no board touring kit.

Seems for the Alps these days the trend is for more snow later in the season, and it quickly goes to crap in the warm weather.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#1377 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 15, 2024, 10:09:02 am
We managed to find a guide (Andy) via the ESF place in La Plagne. He pretty much only does off piste guiding so knew the terrain very, very well. He was on skis but is also a very talented snowboarder (coached some of the french team) so he was knowledgeable about where we could access and what I could be doing given I was the only snowboarder in the group.

After a quick test to make sure our self professed "expert" status wasn't bullshit, he took us over to the Couloir des Rossets #1 (https://fatmap.com/routeid/624958/couloir-des-rossets-1-with-isla?fmid=cp)which was quite a full on warm up. Steep, rocks on both sides, ice on the left (sunny side), and quite a bit of sluff but it ended up being a good test for the group. After we did that he said we could pretty much go anywhere on the North face of Bellecote so we headed up that way.

After looking at both Cairn and Canadian Couloirs, we decided to take a direct line into Canadian as there were zero tracks there.

Cairn: https://fatmap.com/discover/route/france/savoie/freeride-skiing/cairn-couloir/22635
Canadian: https://fatmap.com/discover/route/france/savoie/freeride-skiing/canadian-couloir/13143

The snow was still pretty good in the shade and that feeling of smashing powder turns on an untracked face never, ever gets old. I was whooping with delight.

Our exact route for the day is on this gpx: https://www.strava.com/activities/10951330259 - if you put the gpx into fatmap you'll get a decent idea of where we went and can see the other line options too. We did some other quite good bits of off piste so if you're confident of reading snow conditions and in a group with the right safety gear then you could follow our route.

The riding on the north face is mostly not that difficult. The Canadian Couloir was pretty chill but amazingly fun riding. It's got plenty of sections which aren't that steep so you can air off rocks/drops without ending up going 100km/h instantly. There are much, much more serious lines if you want to hike to the top. Our guide said he had done every line except one very steep and narrow chute from the very top.

At the bottom of the North face we followed a trail which in parts turned to rocks and mud. We had to get off and walk sections because there was no snow. We also saw the remnants of an absolutely huge avalanche at the very bottom where we crossed the stream (walked through it). Pretty scary to see just how deep it was. We then followed a nordic ski track which took us all the way down to a very decent restaurant (https://maps.app.goo.gl/LgiCfYdqXfnqfjgk9). From there we got a bus back down the valley then the Vanoise Express back over towards La Plagne side. 

Overall I'd say it's a great day out to do the north face for anyone who is decently competent with off piste riding. If I could, I would do this type of day out every day of my weeks away in the mountains as it's just so fun to be on a big face, with good now, and far away from any crowds.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1378 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 15, 2024, 10:45:59 am
Sounds amazing! Your gpx link is dead for me, though the Canadian couloir is on fatmap already. Did you do much else off the Bellecote? So much terrain down to the Bauches chair if you get the snow. Whole valley was closed due to unskiable ice for us.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#1379 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 15, 2024, 07:14:11 pm
We finished the day with a line down to the Bauches chair. Involved a very long heelside traverse to get to some cool terrain and then down through the tight trees before plopping onto the flatish traverse at the bottom. Poles helped at that point!

Should be obvious on my gpx which is here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kSFnwvrCrbtetIDH_NE5U3werzu73ADK?usp=sharing

Loads and loads more to explore... just need more snow and more time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1380 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 15, 2024, 09:55:26 pm
Did you get across to Les Arcs? I was amazed by the potential there too. More snow seems to be the more critical factor...

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#1381 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 27, 2024, 05:22:28 am
If anyone is going to the Aosta valley or further east in the next 10 days, it may either be amazing or deadly - check the cumulitive snow depth forecast on Windy - almost 2 metres predicted!

Were off to Engelberg for a day tomorrow (passing through) and, if we get there, we look to be getting 30cm today.  :icon_beerchug:

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#1382 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 27, 2024, 11:08:18 am
 :o :o :o
Now looking at flights and accomodation - just found out some mates are doing a quick hit to Cham which is getting 1.3m in the next week!!!

Trying to justify another trip away to the Mrs is going to be somewhat trickier  :whistle:

galpinos

• forum hero
#1383 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 27, 2024, 11:16:52 am

Which snow forecast app/website are people using? Off to Flaine on Saturday.....

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter

galpinos

• forum hero
#1385 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 27, 2024, 11:52:26 am
 :bounce:

Hopefully the kids can keep up.....

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1386 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 27, 2024, 02:14:03 pm
https://wepowder.com/en/villages/flaine#grands-vans

If you register on wepowder you get a free trial of the 14 day forecast if you want to peep further.

Galpinos, hopefully they open Gers bowl, and Lindars lift, some great terrain off the sides there. And watch for limestone crevasses!

And bizarre afternoon fog in Vernant bowl.

Worth reading the crazy history of the place.

https://alastairphilipwiper.com/blog/flaine-france#:~:text=Built%20in%20the%2060s%20by,in%20France%2C%20a%20prototype%20for

https://en.flaine.com/artistic-architectural-heritage

galpinos

• forum hero
#1387 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 27, 2024, 02:30:20 pm

I did three winters in Flaine. Last Easter they didn't open Gers which was a bit of a ball ache, despite the snow being really good. Hoing for better this year as Easter is "earlier" so they might not be in full de-mob mode. Lindars should open, then I can hopefully do a quick tour up the Tete du Colonney.

Going with a massive group and a lot of kids so not as free to make the best of conditions as I would like but we shall see! I still have enough friends in resort to tag along on a fun adventure if I get a pass out.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1388 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 27, 2024, 02:59:05 pm
Fair enough, you clearly know it better than me! Gers opening does seem very random and inconsistent. Seems to go from closed to mogulled out in the space of a couple of hours. Guess you need to know a pisteur to be able to grab it at the right time.

galpinos

• forum hero
#1389 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 27, 2024, 03:31:14 pm
Gers takes a lot of avalanche controlling and there is a convex slope with a west facing aspect in the micdlle of the bowl near the lift that is pretty problematic late season.

I still think I know everyone in resort but faces change quickly and I left in 2008! My wife is reluctant to go Flaine as I am so painful when there apparently.....

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1390 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 09, 2024, 11:38:17 am
Three valleys came up trumps last week. Les Menuires is probably the cheapest place to stay and fairly well located in terms of getting around, we're planning on going back. Val Thorens looks a lot nicer than it used to. As with most of the Alps, snow was great high up, absent below 1800m. Whole area was pretty quiet, pretty sold on Easter now, seems it's only us and the Belgians are off.

We lost the first day to wind, they opened a couple of low lifts in the morning then shut them ten minutes before ESF pickup time. Chaos! I took the split out for a walk in the afternoon and it didn't look good. Full scottish conditions, wind scoured hardpack with a covering of sand, slab building in the lee. Woke up to 20cm of fresh in the village and light airs. Higher up it was a foot plus and pretty light, did some great runs in the morning under the bubble while getting our bearings. Cloud and snow came back in the afternoon. The week continued in this vein, powder was topped up a couple of times and fresh tracks were available every day if you looked a little past the obvious, although flat light was limiting at times. Highlights were a big powder run below the Grand Fond in VT, steep and deep with lots untracked, plus a guided afternoon down from the Cime Caron to the Refuge de Lou. ESF guide Matt was super chilled with a big mixed group and good fun, ended with waterskiiing across the Lac outlet. Final morning did the Grand Couloir in Courcheval which was pretty skiied out but I found some super steep powder down the edges of the cliffs. Gave me a lot of confidence for more gnarly stuff. There is a lot of controlled side country on the piste map nowadays which is great, good to do some reading/ looking/ learning on avalanches too.

Didn't use the split much as no one else had touring gear, and I was having so much fun on the Skeleton key my legs didn't have much appetite for a stiffer board. My brother-in-law bought a SK at the bargain deal and it was amazing (slash slightly irritating) to watch him turn into a better, more confident rider almost overnight. Had some minor issues with getting second click in the step ons in deep damp powder but a niggle rather than a performance issue. Struggling to face the year wait for more now!

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#1391 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 09, 2024, 11:52:46 am
He Shoots....... He Scores!!!!  :2thumbsup:

Sounds like a great trip - I had a chance to go to Cham last weekend and binned it at the last minute (the GF would have killed me) - my mates who went said it wasn't great - sounds like you timed it perfectly - Chapeau!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1392 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 09, 2024, 01:09:30 pm
Yeah we met some folks out just for the Easter weekend - they'd barely got out. Resort shut two days due to wind, and warm. Grim!

Probably rode more powder last week than the rest of my life put together. Being late season it got heavy fast, and we were a bit limited by flat light but had some amazing moments. Managed to get back for lunch with the boy every day too, to top it off he got moved mid-week up by ESF and came home with two badges!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#1393 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 09, 2024, 01:17:46 pm
Changing boards had the same affect on me JB - I'd all bit given up on snowboarding when I moved to Chamonix. My old board (Ride Timeless) was a bit too short and narrow, fully cambered and pretty stiff. As my skiing was improving and my snowboarding faltering, I just slowly stopped going out on the board. Whenever I did I would just get frustrated with how unforgiving the board was in deep snow. At good speed in open, steep ground it was fine, but as soon as it got tight and rolling, with trees, drops, flat spots I just found it was like trying to balance on top of a football - any sloppy technique was punished in another faceplant / tomahawk.

A good few years later I tried a more forgiving rental board on a trip, with 50cm new snow and my love was rekindled! It was just some mid range burton, but it got me hooked again. In the end I got a Slash Brainstorm which was bang on the money - easy to initiate turns in any snow, and very consistent whether it's on hardpack, power, chop. Landing drops felt like it was 2m long, not 161 - so stable and forgiving.  Some reviews say it has a limited top end for hardcore freeriding. that doesn't bother me any more - when you want to get up to speed quickly on short trips, having something more mellow and forgiving is much nicer than battling some top end jones monster!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1394 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 09, 2024, 07:43:26 pm
Fucking hell JB. That sounds like a great week!
Made me smile and feel warm and happy reading about it.
Next Easter is later in the month, but Sheffield schools will be off for the first two weeks in April. We've benefited from this before - empty beaches and cheap flights to Gran Canaria. I'm thinking about a trip in the first week of April next year. Probably just me and the boy due to GCSEs for the middle child.
VT was on my list, but if Les Menuires is cheaper I might look there.
Were you able to ride back to the apartment for lunch?
Did you try the stuff down the Plan Bouchet? I like the look of that from what the map shows.
I'm really psyched to get the lad on more off piste. He got a good feel for it this year.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1395 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 09, 2024, 08:45:58 pm
Yeah it was a classic week! Funnily enough after La Plagne in Jan I was thinking of Jasna next year!

We stayed in Reberty which is the highest bit, chalet at 2000m. Limited services: three ski shops, one overpriced mini mart, a pub and a couple of restaurants, one good and cheap the other one pricey. Some complaints about night life in the group but suited me fine. It was <100m walk to the pistes either side, you could ride down to the main village and all other lifts or walk up to the Mount de La Chambre chair in 5 mins which was the best option for first tracks without queues. Closest to ski in/out I’ve had this time of year.

Didn’t get over to Bouchet, mainly due to being limited to half days out. That’s the highest lift in VT right? The stuff under Cime Caron was more obvious and north facing so headed there first. The Chasse piste was also closed due to lack of snow, that would be much the quickest link to VT otherwise.

Most of the adults had been to 3V before but still blown away by the amount or terrain on offer. Local knowledge definitely helps, we had Jo with us who is a Meribel regular but it looked painfully low last week. He had good knowledge on the free ride zones off Mont Vallon, Merlet and Saulire. The links between the resorts are surprisingly limited so you have to be quite on it to get about.

My nephew Stanley is doing GCSEs, and had forced revision every evening. I’ve never seen him as triumphant as when he landed the waterski!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1396 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 09, 2024, 11:35:31 pm
We're still going to Jasna in February next year. I'm just getting greedy for a second trip.
I love spring snow and steep slush, so most places would suit me in April.
I'm contemplating the possibility of getting a season pass for Jasna and surrounding resorts (529 Euro), but struggling with the flying Vs climate change thing
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 11:44:35 pm by lagerstarfish »

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1397 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 15, 2024, 09:00:15 am
We just got back from a week in Serfaus. Great car free little town, decent enough size for a few good restaurants and pubs, even a clip and climb (I got fastest time of the week on the speed wall!) and, randomly, the shortest and highest underground train in the world linking one side of the town to the other. Mountain is good, plenty enough to keep you busy for a week, loads of side country with a short hike in or out, and not one single fixed grip or surface lift on the major lifts on the whole mountain (one or two rope spinners or short pomas / Ts on flat sections. Unfortunately it was unseasonably warm (but furstratingly, it's cold and snowy this week!!), so a bit slushy in the beginner's area, but the kids say they liked skiing in it?? We got about 10cm of fresh one night, which I managed to hoover up a bit of the next day, but it was slushed out the day after. There are some great north facing slopes over the back of Fiss too, which can be accessed by a free shuttle and gondola to the top and back down, which saved a lot of tricky traversing with the kids. The place was practically deserted, i don't think i waited more than a minute for a lift.

There are no British operators going there, so it was all DIY; we used the TUI flight, booked a transfer, and got a good last minute deal on an apartment. If you are staying in town you get a reduced rate on lift tickets too.

galpinos

• forum hero
#1398 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 15, 2024, 09:48:32 am
https://wepowder.com/en/villages/flaine#grands-vans

If you register on wepowder you get a free trial of the 14 day forecast if you want to peep further.

Galpinos, hopefully they open Gers bowl, and Lindars lift, some great terrain off the sides there. And watch for limestone crevasses!

And bizarre afternoon fog in Vernant bowl.

Worth reading the crazy history of the place.

https://alastairphilipwiper.com/blog/flaine-france#:~:text=Built%20in%20the%2060s%20by,in%20France%2C%20a%20prototype%20for

https://en.flaine.com/artistic-architectural-heritage

Had an amazing week! Got a virus right at the end which has left me in bed for a week so slow to update. Gers never opened as one onf the lift pillars broke but we managed a lot of really good skiing off piste in good powder, the highlights being a run from the top of the DMC, down the Diamond Noir and all the way to the bottom with fresh tracks all the way as well as on a family ski morning, getting to the top of Aup de Varn just as Lindars opened and my wife, very selflessly, said she'd stay with all the kids and I went and had a top to bottom none stop run of untacked blower pow. Managed to find Laura and the kids at the Aujon drag with kids having fallen off the button left right and center, carnage. Think she was regretting her decision!

Only bad bit was some poor decision making by me skiing off piste in poor vis. Excitement at being kid free in good snow and some faulty "local knowledge" on my part could have lead to a bad outcome. Thankfully it didn't but it was sobering reminder of the fact I am a holdiay punter now and of the heuristic traps of group skiing.

It seemed like it was a popular week in Flaine for climbers with Leo Houlding and Steve McClure both being there.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1399 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 15, 2024, 11:35:20 am
Next Easter is later in the month, but Sheffield schools will be off for the first two weeks in April.

We were trying to figure out what will happen with school holidays next Easter, as for us locally it's always the first 2 weeks in April irrespective of when Easter falls. Crazy late next year.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal