UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 351223 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
#625 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
July 06, 2011, 05:04:46 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. The missus is questioning the wisdom on booking our honeymoon on the back of recommendations of a load of guys off a climbing forum on the internet but what does she know.

We won’t be renting an SUV. We’ve got a camper van which we use a lot in the UK but fancy a bit more luxury, especially as it’ll be baltic!

Whistler sounds like it’s hitting the spot at the mo. I’ve never been, always wanted too but am a little worried about the potential for shite snow/conditions. This year seems to have been a bumper year (El Nina and all that) so I’d be gutted to rock up for the first time and spend the week in drizzle.

I’m also keen for Fernie and Revelstoke though. Fernie I’ve heard really good things about and Revelstoke has Greg Hill*’s Pro Model Dynafit ski, the “Stoke” named after it so must be good.

Hmm decisions decisions. I’ll be back with some more questions once I’ve chatted it over with the missus.

*Greg Hill climbed up and skied down 2 million vertical feet in 2010 - legend

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#626 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
July 06, 2011, 05:44:36 pm
Well when we we went in 2009 it was regarded as a bad year, and we still had plenty to do. It didn't exactly hose it down like it has been known to do in some years, but in the 2 weeks we were there we had about 5 powder days; each with at least a  foot or more falling. There were still loads of challenging runs to do in the resort even when it was tracked out, and a lot of the harder stuff had easier stuff nearby, so if you fancy doing something a bit harder and your lass doesn't you can always sort out a meeting spot. And only on two of the snowfalls did it rain in the village and the bottom bits of the base runs were icy because of it.

I think if you choose the right time of year it can affect conditions too; we were there early Feb and may have been a tad early as the reports said a load of snow fell not long after we left. Friends went the same year over Xmas and New Year and said conditions were terrible; bitterly cold and icy and very little snow with the snow in the Whistler back bowls too thin to open. Worth doing some research on historical snow records to choose the best time if you are flexible; late Feb / early March may be best?

Where's Andy R when you need him?

edit - i love stats me  http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/stats/index.htm

AndyR

• forum hero
#627 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
July 06, 2011, 10:09:08 pm

Where's Andy R when you need him?

As usual nowhere to be found...

Lived here nearly six years now and still find lots of new stuff on Whistler/Blackcomb.
The last two early seasons have been fantastic - have been up on opening day (early/mid Nov) both times and there has been a LOT of snow - it's not always that reliable though...

It's rare to get weeks of shite weather/no snow, but it does happen - best thing to do then is go back/slackcountry and earn your turns.

I think as mentioned above, a good combo would be WB for your resort skiing, then a trip to the interior (say, Revvy) for cat skiing - you will have fun!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#628 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 23, 2011, 02:52:18 pm
So galpinos, you decided yet?

If forecasters are to be believed it might be an early start to winter.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/09/20/britain-s-big-freeze-to-start-with-snow-in-october-115875-23434124/

First snows reported in CO, WY and Canada.

galpinos

• forum hero
#629 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 23, 2011, 03:00:04 pm
Still undecided.

We've been given the use of a flat in Tignes for a week in Jan/Feb as a wedding present so we're doing that as a definite. As to whether we get to Canada, we might now be going to New Zealand for a friends wedding. Wrong time of the year for touring though.

As the wedding is in 8 days thoughts of the honeymoon part 2 have been put on hold for decisions on table plans, orders of service, flowers and curtains. My mum is also quite worried about my socks for some reason.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#630 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 23, 2011, 03:15:06 pm
Mate of mine ( a bit of  scruff to say the least) ended up wearing a pair with a big hole at the heel of his sock, reckoned it was the only place he could show his own character in the "clown suit" (his words) he was made to wear. Maybe your mum is right to be concerned.

Good luck!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#631 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 23, 2011, 03:18:57 pm
Mate of mine ( a bit of  scruff to say the least) ended up wearing a pair with a big hole at the heel of his sock, reckoned it was the only place he could show his own character in the "clown suit" (his words) he was made to wear. Maybe your mum is right to be concerned.

Good luck!
That's got to be the most impressively  :off: post in a long time, well done, not sure if you deserve a wad or punter? So I'll neither  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#632 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 23, 2011, 03:21:58 pm
it was a logical follow on from the sock comment.

To get back on topic, you planning some snowboarding this winter then?

hopefully getting to Les Gets in Feb time for 10 days or so.

galpinos

• forum hero
#633 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 23, 2011, 03:23:00 pm

Good luck!

She's bought me and the best men/ushers all socks so we all match. Apparently these things are important.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#634 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 23, 2011, 03:36:29 pm
In a bit of a cross-over with the Dad's topic, what are peoples opinions on the best age to take the mini's out on the snow? You see tinys on skis from before they can walk but I'd be keen for Mini-Obi MkI (who'll be 4 in Oct, but is tall for his age) to start on a board if poss. I've seen a few mini-boards but they aren't that common.

Thoughts? Experiences?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#635 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 23, 2011, 03:38:21 pm
No idea about snowboarding, but I learnt to ski when I was 4/5 and my brother started at the same time when he was 3/4.

Pluses are that you've no fear and less distance to fall.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#636 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 23, 2011, 03:54:05 pm
In a bit of a cross-over with the Dad's topic, what are peoples opinions on the best age to take the mini's out on the snow? You see tinys on skis from before they can walk but I'd be keen for Mini-Obi MkI (who'll be 4 in Oct, but is tall for his age) to start on a board if poss. I've seen a few mini-boards but they aren't that common.

Thoughts? Experiences?

My thoughts are getting them straight onto a board is a bad idea. Came across a few parents who were trying it when I was working in Colorado, and kids seemed to be having a bad time, as it's a lot more counterintuitive having to stand sideways with both legs together and standing sideways than facing straight down the hill on two skis with a control harness and an "edgy wedgy" on their skis so they snow plough. Kids on boards having a bad time catching front edge, face plants, tears, etc. Also have the common probs adults have with getting on / off lifts and getting stuck on flats. Also as you say, not sure how small boards and boots go down to, but would have thought there would be some about. Have you looked on google for any articles, pointers, etc?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#637 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 24, 2011, 10:52:48 am
All good points Chris. I can't imagine it is easily to hold a kid on skis in a harness whilst on a board yourself.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#638 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 24, 2011, 12:09:08 pm
Over here (Bavaria/Austria) kids normally start on skis at three or four, but I've never seen them on snowboards until quite a bit later. As Chris said, the initial learning curve is steeper and less intuitive.

Or so I'm told. I have never ski'd. I intend to start learning this winter, though, because touring with a snowboard is such a  complete PITA. I did an off piste course with a guide in Zillertal a couple of years ago; he said he mostly snowboarded for years but has gone almost completely back to skis, because modern fat rocker skis are almost as good as a snowboard in powder and so much more practical for everything else.

Back to the snowboarding dads thing: it's difficult to be a snowboarding dad with a small child on skis, because you're basically hardly able to assist kids/beginners - except with getting on & off chairlifts a bit. I had the good fortune that my wife and son first learned to ski on a holiday with friends who are both very capable skiers, but the first few outings after that, just us as a family without experienced skiers around, were a bit worrying.

AndyR

• forum hero
#639 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
September 24, 2011, 07:26:29 pm
Over here (Bavaria/Austria) kids normally start on skis at three or four, but I've never seen them on snowboards until quite a bit later. As Chris said, the initial learning curve is steeper and less intuitive.

Or so I'm told. I have never ski'd. I intend to start learning this winter, though, because touring with a snowboard is such a  complete PITA. I did an off piste course with a guide in Zillertal a couple of years ago; he said he mostly snowboarded for years but has gone almost completely back to skis, because modern fat rocker skis are almost as good as a snowboard in powder and so much more practical for everything else.

Back to the snowboarding dads thing: it's difficult to be a snowboarding dad with a small child on skis, because you're basically hardly able to assist kids/beginners - except with getting on & off chairlifts a bit. I had the good fortune that my wife and son first learned to ski on a holiday with friends who are both very capable skiers, but the first few outings after that, just us as a family without experienced skiers around, were a bit worrying.

See the majority of kids over here on skis at about 4-6, though you do see a few tiny kids doing it - our eldest started at 5 last winter (and she's very dinky for her age) and was absolutely grand - I also took the just-turned-three year old out and it was a bit too early - will likely wait another year or so.

You do see kids on boards, but much less common - they seem to all switch to boards however at about age seven to eight, then before you know it, they are completely burning you off....

I re-taught myself to ski so that I could go alongside my daughter - being on a board is just too much of a hassle when you have to help them onto lifts etc...

Stewart

• menacing presence
#640 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 07, 2011, 11:30:21 am
Hey ho boarders, the white stuff is here.

Anyone done any munro/boarding ie walking up a munro and getting some nice off-piste action back down. I've done a bit of off-piste and love winter walking so would seem to make sense to combine the two .

Admittedly the off-piste I've done hasn't been the most serious, alternative routes of Carn Aosda and Glen Coe and through the trees in the alps, minimal avalanche risk stuff.

Guess the main thing is too pick the right hill,  preferably finding the right balance of low avalanche risk yet steep enough that i'm not going to have to dig myself out. There are a few things that come to mind (Ime for example) which would be fairly safe but the bottom half isn't ideal.
Suppose a guide is the obvious but pricey solution. Any thoughts?

Chars
Stewart

Plattsy

• forum hero
#641 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 07, 2011, 11:53:48 am
A couple that spring to mind.

Spent about 4 hours in knee high snow breaking trail up Fionn Bheinn only to be caught on the top by a couple of ski-tourers who said it took them 2 hours. Anyway they seemed to make it back down alright.

Schiehallion I remember being quite straight forward too if perhaps a little on the short side. Good one to try on the way home perhaps.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#642 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 07, 2011, 12:04:56 pm
I tend to ski tour in  Scotland, although I am predominantly a boarder, as it's a lot less faff. A set of good snow shoes and / or some suitable strap on crampons for your boots are a good idea, as step kicking in snowboard boots is a lot harder then ski boots. and having an axe with you provides a bit of security if things look a bit iffy. You could look into getting / making a splitty, but they aren't cheap.

And at least

Many grade 1 gullies are boardable and most munros have an easy way down. Providing it isn't too corniced, which is even more of a problem for downhill travel than uphill.

There's loads of good info here

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/offpiste.shtml

http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/

and

http://www.winterhighland.info/

Stewart

• menacing presence
#643 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 07, 2011, 12:44:59 pm
Cheers guys, Fionn Bheinn isn't a munro i've been up yet, possibly a bit far away. Schiehallion could be OK, certainly pretty safe i would think.

will need to check that out & thanks for the links Chris - haggistrap looks well handy.

I've crampons for my winter boots but they wouldn't fit my snowboard boots. Didn't really know you could get crampons that would, wouldn't they be a bit eh crap? I was thinking of taking both boots and changing at the top which I suppose is not ideal especially when my board is not the lightest to start with.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#644 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 07, 2011, 01:01:26 pm
Yeah I was erring on the safe side of safe there. Should've added at the end of my post that SA Chris would be along any moment with good beta and links.

Post up what you get done Stewart.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#645 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 07, 2011, 01:10:28 pm
Ben Chonzie would be fun I think. Pretty easy walk and a good angle on the way back down. Did 3/4 of Ben Lawers, but bailed due to lack of psyche for deep stuff from my mate on a pair of horrific blades with mountaineering boots.....  :o :o

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#646 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 07, 2011, 01:30:15 pm
I've done a fair bit of boarding using Koflachs and soft bindings. Not ideal, but fine. Certainly makes climbing steeper stuff easy.

Easyish off piste that springs to mind -

the window descent from creag meagaidh.

Lurchers' gully in the 'gorms (not at all steep or gully-like) - in fact, climb/walk up Fiacaill ridge (or get a ride up caingorm), descend Coire Raibert (easy slope, getting gradually steeper, holds snow despite facing south) to the loch shore, walk westish along the shore, mosey up to Cairn Lochan and then come down Lurchers' Gully. Not exactly remote, but a nice easy day out.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#647 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 07, 2011, 02:13:32 pm
Didn't really know you could get crampons that would, wouldn't they be a bit eh crap? I was thinking of taking both boots and changing at the top which I suppose is not ideal especially when my board is not the lightest to start with.

I've got a pair of old flexible walking boot crampons that are an OK fit. Not ideal, but better than trying to step kick in board boots. Doing long walks in snowboard boots isn't actually that comfortable, so carrying a pair of boots is not a bad idea. If you are doing a circular  / up and down route you can switch over and leave a pair behind, but you need to know your route back.

Scheihallion is actually quite rocky, so generally avoided by ski tourers in all but deep cover, as skins aren't cheap. If you are walking up though it should be OK.

The SMC Ski Mountaineering in Scotland book might be Ok browsing through for pointers.

There is also a nice tour you can do up to Glas Moel at Glenshee, then head NE along the ridge and tage a few more munros before dropping into a corrie just SE of Loch Callater. you can follow the burn all the way back to the road, usually enough snow. LF's suggestion is a good one too.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#648 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 07, 2011, 02:27:53 pm
Lurchers' gully is also a good venue for a spot of after dark boarding. It doesn't take long to walk from the car park to the top and the whole run is pretty much free of obstacles (watch for holes over the stream if not much snow). Worth thinking about if the lifts have closed, but you still have plenty left in the tank.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#649 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 07, 2011, 04:34:03 pm
Did 3/4 of Ben Lawers, but bailed due to lack of psyche for deep stuff from my mate on a pair of horrific blades with mountaineering boots.....  :o :o

The corrie N of Ben Lawers between it and the mountain just to the N of it holds snow well and the "range" has a variety of descents. There is also a pretty impressive looking (erratic?) boulder in the valley you walk up from the car park to the corrie, with some great looking lines on it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal