UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 350716 times)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#525 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 28, 2010, 10:47:32 am
Whatever, that guy needs to sort his stance out!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#526 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 28, 2010, 07:59:54 pm
Whatever, that guy needs to sort his stance out!

That's the UN Stance (Ultimate Neutral Stance); for people who want to go neither up, nor down. He looks to be using it to full effect.

gme

• forum hero
#527 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 29, 2010, 09:56:09 am
Due to the amount of snow we have again, and the fact that i have a hill that seems to be frequented by these snowboarder types next to my house every winter i am keen to get hold of a board etc.

Anyone got an old one they want to sell, plus boots etc, around size 9-10 or failing that what size, type, colour etc do i need. never done it before but surf a lot and skate a bit.

Loads on ebay but i have no idea as to which to choose. Cant see me ever properly getting into it so probably just need some old plank to bomb down the hill.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#528 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 29, 2010, 10:12:30 am
The usual questions - how tall are you, how much do you weigh etc.

If you are just hacking down the local hill, just about any board will be fine. Provided the edges are reasonably intact and it hasn't delaminated. Board / binding / boot interface can have potential difficulties, which are lessened if you either get Burton board and binds, or avoid Burton for both board and bindings (I personally don't particularly rate their bindings anyway). Although there are workarounds if need be.

gme

• forum hero
#529 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 29, 2010, 11:23:34 am
6`1" and around 80 Kg.

I presumed it would be similar to surfing in that you want a bit bigger, wider board to learn on.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#530 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 29, 2010, 12:17:16 pm
To learn you want a shorter narrower softer board.  No, really.  The wider and longer and stiffer the board the harder it is to turn.  As a rule of thumb a learner board wants to come up to no more than your chin (obvioiusly when you are standing holding it not strapped in!).  So you probably want a board somewhere around 158 - 162.  You want something cheap and shit to start on so avoid the big brands (e.g. Burton, Ride, Lib Tech, Rome) and see if you can get an ex-rental O'Sin?  You want soft bindings too not stiff ones.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#531 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 29, 2010, 12:31:28 pm
What NS said. You don't need buoyancy or stability like a surfboard - something smaller and softer is better, so you can get it to flex and turn without having to work too hard.

Anything will do to get you started, provided it is a conventional board shape, avoid things like cambered boards, unidirectional powder boards etc when you get started. And conventional two strap bindings that are the right size for the boots, so you don't wallow about.

If you see anything that you think might be OK anywhere, stick it on here for a second opinion.

And beware knackered out second hand boots, as if someone has worn them for a long time and padded out the foam to their footshape, they will be loose, cold and uncomfortable.

yes, it's a bit of a minefield.

philo

• forum hero
#532 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 29, 2010, 02:51:33 pm
Due to the amount of snow we have again, and the fact that i have a hill that seems to be frequented by these snowboarder types next to my house every winter i am keen to get hold of a board etc.

Anyone got an old one they want to sell, plus boots etc, around size 9-10 or failing that what size, type, colour etc do i need. never done it before but surf a lot and skate a bit.

Loads on ebay but i have no idea as to which to choose. Cant see me ever properly getting into it so probably just need some old plank to bomb down the hill.

take the trucks off a skateboard then haha

gme

• forum hero
#533 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 29, 2010, 04:21:23 pm
Did it on an old 6`4" round pin last winter. Was basically a very out of control sledge, totally desperate to try to turn and went from 0-60 in about 2 secs.

I think the rails were a bit thick and perhaps the tail was drawn out a bit to much.

Good crack but not really suitable.

Tried standing up on a disc shaped sledge this weekend which was similar and left me seeing stars on my back once it reached terminal velocity (again after around 2 secs)

philo

• forum hero
#534 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 29, 2010, 04:32:21 pm
hahaha brilliant.  I went out and bought a snowboard last season due to the heavy snow here.  Some of my mates go belting down the hills near where I live, and the last couple of days it has been amazing.  I have a short pretty shitty board but it does for what i need.  One of the lads (who lives away) had a skateboard with no wheels and as you mentioned, he was like a rocket with no controls.  Amusing either way! 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#535 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 29, 2010, 06:47:19 pm
You could always go for a snowskate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowskate

A lot cheaper than buying board, boots and bindings.

Never seen one used on anything other than a piste though, maybe not ideal for bombing down a local hill.

chris05

• forum abuser
#536 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 30, 2010, 09:03:12 am
You could always go for a snowskate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowskate

A lot cheaper than buying board, boots and bindings.

Never seen one used on anything other than a piste though, maybe not ideal for bombing down a local hill.

They look good (and quite cheap), anyone here used one? Would want it for messing around in scotland when I'm up that way.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#537 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 30, 2010, 09:14:48 am
Unless you really know what you are doing, they are just about impossible to use on surface lifts, so limited to walking or aerial uplift. I tried one on piste and it is seriously hard, but then I am not much of a skateboarder. Like I sais, only ever seen them used (quite badly) on pistes, not sure about if they would be good on anything else. Probably some footage on youtube of someone tearing it up on one though.

chris05

• forum abuser
#538 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 30, 2010, 09:23:11 am
Just had a look and one like this looks quite good:

http://www.backyardsshop.com/santa-cruz-snow-skate-black.html

Only want it for messing around on little hills around my parents house when I head up to see them, usually get snowed in, might provide some entertainment. Hmmm  :-\

galpinos

• forum hero
#539 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 30, 2010, 10:10:27 am

Those snowskates are hard. I'm no skateboarder (I've a longboard from my uni days but that's it) but I found them nails. They're pretty quick to get going and tough to manoeuvre. I spent most of my time on my ass on a green run, a blue piste felt like the living end.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#540 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 30, 2010, 10:30:20 am
Probably a few kicking about on fleabay, from experience they seem like the kind of thing people think are a really good idea, buy one, find out how hard it is and then relegate it to the back of the loft.

Slide

• addict
#541 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 30, 2010, 01:42:47 pm
The worst bits of skateboarding & snowboarding combined. Unless you've serious skills in both then i would leave well alone.

philo

• forum hero
#542 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 30, 2010, 02:42:27 pm

caution:  shaun white wannabe big perm hair is offensive to the eyes, you have been warned!

andy_e

• forum hero
#543 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 01, 2010, 08:42:04 pm
Anyone got any yorkshire beta? SA Chris? Looking to get out this weekend and Armley Park just won't cut it. Can't afford time/money to get to Yad Moss before anyone suggests that!

philo

• forum hero
#544 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 01, 2010, 08:44:15 pm
If you do spot a random fuck off massive hill, always walk up the same way your coming down.  The very thin wire fences are sometimes impossible to spot!  Everywhere getting the snow now it seems.  Its more like thick ice/dirty whore snow up here. 

andy_e

• forum hero
#545 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 01, 2010, 08:47:43 pm
Yeah man, I know that trick! emergency ollies deployed in the past and lessons learned!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#546 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 01, 2010, 08:52:09 pm
Anyone got any yorkshire beta? SA Chris?

Sorry mate, the whole time I lived in Leeds it snowed twice. They were the lean years. Google maps? Ilkley?

tomtom

• forum hero
#547 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 01, 2010, 09:04:15 pm
Ilkley would be a good plan - as long as the road up to cow and calf is clear... east facing places will have got the most of the drifts/wind...
T

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#548 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 01, 2010, 10:03:47 pm
Yad Moss

Where is this?  ;)
Off to Cairngorms in a bit, though bit worried about getting up there! We have snow chains though.

andy_e

• forum hero
#549 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 01, 2010, 11:06:36 pm
Well it's obviously in England duh.  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal