UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 351034 times)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#175 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 20, 2009, 08:26:35 pm
Unfortunatley no change on the Canadian west coast. Nothing news for over a week  >:(
Quel domage, Grom :boohoo:

Meanwhile, back in the real world Sam let me look in the Axminister catalogue, and, well, I might have bought some stuff....... :whistle:

And its dumping snow all over the Grand Massif  :thumbsup:

Looks like Canada is going to get some pooder just as you get on the plane....typical

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#176 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 21, 2009, 08:01:51 am

Looks like Canada is going to get some pooder just as you get on the plane....typical

Fuck I hope so. (Sorry Graeme).

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#177 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 21, 2009, 05:32:18 pm
Forecast is for snow on Saturday and Sunday so hopefully will get a couple of days of fresh before I get on the plane. But I've skied most days anyway so its been fun, just not as good as hoped for.

Off to Whistler in 10 minutes so I will find out what all the hype is about.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#178 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 21, 2009, 09:11:49 pm
Forecast is for snow on Saturday and Sunday so hopefully will get a couple of days of fresh before I get on the plane. But I've skied most days anyway so its been fun, just not as good as hoped for.

Off to Whistler in 10 minutes so I will find out what all the hype is about.

Stick to Blackcombe is my advice.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#179 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 22, 2009, 11:26:25 pm
Just booked flights for me and Nasty Casty (AKA Plank Master Cast) - my main riding/drinking/pulling/fighting partner for 3 looooong seasons back in the day.

We shall be in Argentiere from Sat 31 Jan to Sat 7 Feb if anyone wants to hook up with a couple of heavy, less young and probably-past-it-has-beens with reasonable local knowledge, get in touch.

Casty has finally had his knee fixed (£lots) - but he did pretty well without a functional knee for a long time so it will be interesting to see whether he can keep up with me now :bigheadedcuntthatiam:

:bounce: well excited  :thumbsup:

I'm hoping that Mrs Starfish and the next Lagers Jr can keep up with this two-people-ocupying-the-same-space-at-the-same-time trick going until we're nearer their due date.  :whistle:

Plattsy

• forum hero
#180 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 26, 2009, 02:21:46 pm
After asking for advice last year (and yes I forgot to hand out the wads but belated wads are a coming) I've finally kicked my ass into gear and started looking.

Found a pair of Drake bindings which I like (appear to be well priced and well featured too). Toe or Cap strap binding etc. So my question is are these well priced and any good? If so I'm getting them today.

http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Drake_MENTOR_Snowboard_Bindings_buy_SNOWBOARDING_DISCOUNT_SALE_XL-(12455).aspx

SA Chris

• forum hero
#181 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 26, 2009, 02:48:51 pm
How big are your feet? Those are XL so size 10-14? Need to be aware that they may not suit a standard width board, but would probably be OK with a wide or a mid-wide. I have a pair of the Drake Mikey Le Blanc bindings from about 2004. Good well made bindings, on the heavy but sturdy side of things rather than lightweight but flimsy. Had well over 100 days of use and still going strong (had to replace one ladder strap, but that was because I kept standing on it!). Mine are Large and I have 9 1/2 feet.

Price wise it's not that good a bargain, I reckon you could get similar level binding for £100-£120 if you shop around.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#182 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 26, 2009, 03:03:41 pm
Hey Chris. I'm a size UK10 so I'm borderline L/XL by the looks of things, I guess L would be fine. I shopped around for those and found them at £200 in other places. Glad I asked. Looked at the Drake Czar (£120) first which sounded pretty good too. But Brown with Gold is asking for it. I'll keep looking.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#183 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 26, 2009, 03:09:59 pm
I would go for an L binding unless you have a huge volume boot like the K2 ones. They are usually fully adjustable, apart from in the width, and if you get one that's too wide no amount of playing with straps etc will stop your foot from moving about.

PS was out at Glenshee Friday, snow is pretty good at the moment; cover pretty much complete although crusty in places, but there is now a base and unless there are any major thaws will only improve. Better in the west - a lot of snow there if recent events are anything to go by http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/Death-in-Glencoe-Sad-walk.4911511.jp so make the most of it, but be careful!

Plattsy

• forum hero
#184 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 26, 2009, 03:20:55 pm
Size L it is then. Might wander up to Slide and see what Mr Slide can do for me. I'm just itching for new gear!

Heard that news yesterday and I know the route well. Very sad news indeed.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#185 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 26, 2009, 05:36:00 pm
Nothing new over in Vancouver. Gave up and went bouldering at Squamish on Saturday. Am going to check out the Cypress boulders before flying back tonight.

Forecast is for snow tomorrow. Bunch of arse.

AndyR

• forum hero
#186 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 26, 2009, 08:45:31 pm
Nothing new over in Vancouver. Gave up and went bouldering at Squamish on Saturday. Am going to check out the Cypress boulders before flying back tonight.

Forecast is for snow tomorrow. Bunch of arse.
Yep - 10 cm forecast for tonight, then lots more snow for next week or so.
You have been blighted by some pretty unusual weather - i went sea kayaking yesterday and found myself paddling an icebreaker - ice on the sea - bonkers  :shrug:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#187 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 27, 2009, 08:31:06 am
Yep - 10 cm forecast for tonight, then lots more snow for next week or so.
I fear I may explode before Saturday.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#188 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 27, 2009, 10:54:23 am
I'm just itching for new gear!

What exactly are you after? Bindings seem like an odd place to start. Order of priorities; get a decent pair of boots first; preferably professionally fitted, then a board, then bindings. Apologies if you have crossed hurdles 1 & 2 already.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#189 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 27, 2009, 11:23:23 am
Here's my thinking.

My boots are proper comfy if a little dated so I'm thinking if they're not broken don't fix them.

My flow bindings were quite painful last year (dunno why. digging into the based of my calf) and figured I'd move back to trad bindings which a few guys on here thought were better anyway.

My board is a now crashed repaired entry level Burton so thought I'd update that too.

New boots, board and bindings sounds like the best plan.  :dance1:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#190 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 27, 2009, 11:37:24 am
Hey, nothing wrong with new toys.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#191 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 27, 2009, 02:45:04 pm

Rome Solutions 163 on the way. A little bigger than my Clash. Can't wait to try it out.

Boots and bindings should be purchase tomorrow if I can decide which to get.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:13:32 pm by Plattsy, Reason: boots/bindings update. »

Darren S

• addict
    • www.climbnewcastle.com
#192 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 27, 2009, 06:44:39 pm
Here's my thinking.

My flow bindings were quite painful last year (dunno why. digging into the based of my calf) and figured I'd move back to trad bindings which a few guys on here thought were better anyway.

Because they are poo, ha ha. Couldn't resist that one.
I know some people who love them but I just can't see it myself, and Mr Mcnab  says the are useless so it must be true.
Nice move on the Rome Solution have one myself, amongst my collection, and it is nice and friendly as well as being a pretty good performer.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#193 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 27, 2009, 07:09:52 pm
 :agree: flow are poo.

they also have low highbacks compared to most bindings so make sure your new bindings have a higher highback (phew).  Ride also tend to be pretty short whereas burton generally have very long highbacks.  Sorted now eh?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#194 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 27, 2009, 10:38:22 pm

15 years ago before they built the lifts on the slope down to Vallorcine.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#195 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 27, 2009, 11:12:33 pm
1994 - Abbing into the Poubelle Couloir behind the top of the Bochard lift, Grande Montets.

Glen Plake abbed down that rock slab to the right in The Blizzard Of Ahhs - soft twat.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:38:37 pm by lagerstarfish »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#196 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 27, 2009, 11:24:01 pm
spring 1995 - The furthest (skiers) left couloir off the back of the Pousettes heading down to Le Buet. Perfect spring snow just for me  :thumbsup:

Probably pretty boring for anyone who's not interested in the quality of the snow and the angle of the slope (look at the trees).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#197 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 27, 2009, 11:34:07 pm
look at me  8) (middle distance at the end of those slightly gay short radius turns)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#198 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 28, 2009, 01:13:31 am
PlankMaster Cast (axe ready, tounge out) on the top part of the Glacier Ronde in rather poor/hard conditions (500+ of hard pack). The exit couloir was in much better spring nick.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#199 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 28, 2009, 01:53:12 pm

Rome Solutions 163 on the way. A little bigger than my Clash. Can't wait to try it out.

Boots and bindings should be purchase tomorrow if I can decide which to get.

Burton Cartel bindings and Burton Hail boots purchased today. I know that Burton bindings got dissed on here but I like them. I'm soooooooo looking forward to that first run!!

Loving the pictures Lagers.  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal