UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 350446 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#125 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 01, 2008, 12:17:25 pm

Anyone know any good cheap accomodation in Verbier or Saas Fe ?

No, but I did speak to some folk who said that the off piste at Saas Fe was in better condition than at Verbier at the mo. Saas Fe apparantly has a good base under the recent snow, while at Verbier people are still scraping rocks.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#126 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 15, 2008, 10:58:18 am

Not snowboarding, but shows snow cover on Glenshee on Saturday. Rain in Carpark, sleet at top of Sunnyside, snow from there up. Cover is good, but snow slushy and wet. Hopefully it will freeze up or get pisted to a good base, for more to follow.

Descent was hazardous - poor vis, wet snow, and a lot of scoured drops that were invisible until after you went over them.

Fun day out though.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#127 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 15, 2008, 09:35:04 pm

Not snowboarding, but shows snow cover on Glenshee on Saturday. Rain in Carpark, sleet at top of Sunnyside, snow from there up. Cover is good, but snow slushy and wet. Hopefully it will freeze up or get pisted to a good base, for more to follow.

Descent was hazardous - poor vis, wet snow, and a lot of scoured drops that were invisible until after you went over them.

Fun day out though.

"A usual Scottish winter day" would probably have sufficed?  ;D  Good to see snow there though and good effort on getting out.  We have currently, or rather currencyly, sacked off booking a second winter trip for the moment and intend to make a return back north for some of those Scottish Conditions.  Glenshee looks like the best by far, you been anywhere else yet Chris?

I might even persuade the mighty Bubbs out of retirement?  8)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#128 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 15, 2008, 10:27:30 pm
Not been anywhere else, but mates were at Lecht on Saturday and reported similar cover. Cairngorm have got a bit open, but not much happening at Nevis or Glencoe, as weather systems seem to be predominantly from NE.

http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

http://ski.visitscotland.com/

We haven't even booked a first winter trip yet, all a bit depressing. Might have to something last minute, once we have an idea what the money is doing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#129 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 17, 2008, 02:42:26 pm
Looks like some bargain holidays in Whistler soon to be available.

Gondola tower collapses.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081217.BCGONDOLA17/TPStory/National

Luckily no injuries

A statement from Intrawest last night said the gondola's last safety inspection had been within the past six months.

I bet there is a serious shitstorm about this somewhere.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#130 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 17, 2008, 03:02:15 pm
If anyone is driving up to any of the Scottish resorts from Sheffield this winter I'd be up for sharing fuel & driving if you have space.  :thumbsup:

Plattsy

• forum hero
#131 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 17, 2008, 03:34:52 pm
How long for? Weekend?

Do you have wheels? My car isn't the most practical for long trips but could be done.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#132 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 17, 2008, 03:57:31 pm
If anyone is driving up to any of the Scottish resorts from Sheffield this winter I'd be up for sharing fuel & driving if you have space.  :thumbsup:

Lagers be sure to give us a headsup if you do. Will hopefully be vanned up by January.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#133 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 18, 2008, 11:21:31 am
Do I have wheels?

Plenty of room for boys and boards (up to 7 of each at a squeeze). Not the best MPG, but LPG is less than 50p/litre.

If conditions look good I'm up for a weekend of Scottish rock dodging.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#134 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 18, 2008, 11:35:54 am
Can't see that pic at work but room for seven sounds far better than an old golf.

Weekend sounds good to me.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#135 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 18, 2008, 11:27:38 pm

Lagers be sure to give us a headsup if you do. Will hopefully be vanned up by January.

Certainly.
What's your preferred style? I like steeps, but am well out of practice. I am a total spastic in the air and am even worse at landing. I appreciate the value of a good walk if it results in a decent descent and avoids the crowds. Come to think of it, my last Scottish riding was a lovely session at Creag Meagaidh in '94 - young, free, single and scared of nothing - oh how things change.
I'd be happy just to get a few lift assisted turns on real snow. I have a particular like of the ribbons of windblown snow that collect at the side of the "pistes" and next to the fences (quick tight turns). I also like steep, wet sugar.

I'm thinking about getting a helmet for those rocky slopes. Any recommendations, anyone?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#136 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 19, 2008, 09:13:17 am
I have got an R.E.D. Trace.

Good price, light, comfy. Although there are some Traces in terrible colours if you like that sort of thing.

I also have an R.E.D. Skycap II that I bought rather hastily, then found it doesn't fit too well with my goggles, and a new helmet was actually cheaper than getting new goggles.

Keep meaning to ebay it, but never get round to it. Any takers?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#137 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 19, 2008, 01:02:21 pm
As per Chris' experience always take your googles to try on a helmet and always try a helmet before you buy.

RED's don't fit me but our lass has one and rates it.  I have a Dainese and that is perfectly good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#138 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 19, 2008, 01:23:41 pm
Removable ear flaps are a good idea too; warm in the cold, no stupid tan lines in the spring!

Definitely need to try for size and shape.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#139 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 23, 2008, 12:06:21 pm
Cham update (from a mate who lives there but is over here doing the relatives thing) for anyone thinking of heading over this Xmas:  Grands Montets needs one or two more snowfalls to be full but is ridable (skiable, whatever) with care, some rocks poking through.  Return from Lavancher has been open but check before you drop in!  Brevant new lift is open replacing the antique system from Cham town BUT in true French style they have removed the little two man chair that took you from the top of the gondola to the beginner slopes so you now have to either walk up past the restaurants or ride down and then get the magic carpet chair back to the beginners slope.  In other words don't bother taking your mates to Brevent to teach them, go to Le Tour instead!  Flegere conditions unknown, nobody can be bothered to wait for the lift!!   Les Houches is still not on the Mont Blanc lift pass despite being advertised that it would be but Courmayeur and Verbier are, don't you just love 'em  ;) Courmayeur in very good nick. 

So if you're lucky enough to be going to the Alps for Christmas it looks like you're in for a good time and have a good one.   :dance1:

Can't wait for February ...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#140 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 24, 2008, 10:38:41 am

Some nice footage, but a bit too much babble. Sounds like Xavier is a boulderer too (see 29:30).

Darren S

• addict
    • www.climbnewcastle.com
#141 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 24, 2008, 11:41:02 am
The avalanche section at the end is huge.
Shows how it can all go wrong so quickly.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#142 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 02, 2009, 02:17:59 pm
... and why you should always wear a transceiver  :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#143 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 03, 2009, 08:16:28 pm
Well seeing as it is my 40th, and everywhere is too expensive anyway, just booked Whistler for 2 weeks at start of Feb. Any tips for backcountry / hike to etc greatfully received.

(YYFY!)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#144 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 03, 2009, 08:39:37 pm

Since it's your 40th, save up for a day with a reputable heli operation.

My heli day in Whistler was hands down one of the best days of my life.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#145 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 03, 2009, 08:51:51 pm
Never been heli-boarding, but the flights in (heli) and out (heli+ floatplane) of the Cirque of the Unclimbables were two of the most amazing days of my life too.

Dunno if Chris is a jaded rig-monkey who is tired of helos though...

Darren S

• addict
    • www.climbnewcastle.com
#146 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 04, 2009, 01:48:54 pm

Since it's your 40th, save up for a day with a reputable heli operation.

My heli day in Whistler was hands down one of the best days of my life.
If you haven't been to Whistler before then do not bother with the Heli, get out to Flute bowl and North Flute Bowl, super fun with a  hike of between 15-45min, if memory serves me right.

Been heli boarding in Whistler and you have to make sure you get a guide who understands what terrain is good for boarding and not just a skier. Spent half a day walking as the guide thought traversing hills in 40+cm of Pow into rolling humps would be fun, fine on ski's but impossible to get started again if you bail on a board. At $1500 for two people it was an expensive experience
I also didn't like the attitude of Whistlerheliskiing which was very nice before we booked but once they had our money.............

Had a much better experience heli boarding in Europe, maybe I was just unlucky.
Personally going to save for a trip to Alaska

Had much better experience of cat boarding operations.

If you want then try; http://www.powdermountaincatskiing.com/ $499 Cdn +5% GST pppd for 7000vertical min
versus the $750 for the heli with 4500 vertical min

Also recommend going on a snowmobiling day at least or longer if you have the time.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#147 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 04, 2009, 04:41:07 pm
Chris - I am off to Whistler next Sunday so will post daily conditions reports  ;D

Hopefully Norton won't get too pissed off.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#148 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 04, 2009, 04:50:04 pm
The heli op we went with were great. The guides were very professional and although we were a mixed group of skiers and boarders the terrain was always first rate - no flats whatsoever and almost all of it laying fresh tracks. It was quite a while ago though so things might be different now. They certainly warned us that there were quite a few sub-standard heli facilities.

That cat operation looks like great value.

I've always wanted to go to the Island Lake Lodge cat place out the back of Fernie - meant to be some of the finest powder in the world and one of the best lodges....ah, bring on that lotto win :)

cofe

• forum hero
#149 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 04, 2009, 05:01:12 pm

I've always wanted to go to the Island Lake Lodge cat place out the back of Fernie - meant to be some of the finest powder in the world and one of the best lodges....ah, bring on that lotto win :)

i can highly recommend it word although i too will need a lottery win to be doing it again. if you want to get really cheesed then Kim flies out to Fernie in 3 days time to do a season. A season riding every day - he's saved up so he doesn't have to work. fucker.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal