UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 338074 times)

dave

#25 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 15, 2008, 10:19:45 am
nice one tobs. i've been to gayrhofen in summer its well brown round there. excellent bouldering too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#26 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 15, 2008, 10:35:29 am
Nice one people. My bro' just got back from Les Gets, said it has been good and cold in France, nice conditions. Keystone was top, fresh snow almost daily, some really windy days though. Did a couple of shuttle runs in the snowcat, access to some good bowls with great snow. Some of the best tree runs I have done anywhere too. Couple of day trips to Breckenridge and Arapahoe Basin.

Colorado is having a great snow year. Wolf Creek has almost reached its usual impressive season average of 460 inches already! 

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#27 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 15, 2008, 01:27:45 pm
i've been to gayrhofen in summer its well brown round there.
The name of our Chalet is 'Stoanerhof' which made me chuckle.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#28 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 15, 2008, 01:50:40 pm
I would be hoping it was well white. If it was brown you would be screwed.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#29 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 27, 2008, 11:56:37 am
Well, Chamonix valley was very spring-like. Sunshine every day, only a light dusting of new snow one night which was very localised. The afternoon snow on low, sunny slopes was excellent for boarding - proper spring snow changing to wet sugar (still fun) at the end of the day. High up, the snow was staying light and powdery, but well tracked - best decent was Rectaligne (narrower than I expected for this time of year, but light snow especially on left as always) and then over to Dru Rognon (always nice). I was shocked to see how much the glaciers have receeded over the last 20 years. Getting down to the MDG from the slope below the Dru Rognon and Pas de Chevre is a pain, but walking up the other side to the Buvette is even worse.
Spent most of my time getting better at skiing, but getting on a board again felt brilliant  :thumbsup:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#30 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 28, 2008, 12:13:10 pm
last week we were mostly ripping up the pistes of the Zillertal valley, . Snow wasn't good enough for much fun off piste, but it didn't stop us doing more than 30km of vertical descent. (according to the lift pass print out). Map looks more impressive on Google Earth, pivoted to see terrain.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#31 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 28, 2008, 12:36:08 pm
Snow wasn't good enough for much fun off piste, but it didn't stop us doing more than 30km of vertical descent.

It looks non-existent for half of it :P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 12:48:35 pm by slack---line »

Plattsy

• forum hero
#32 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 08:34:52 am
Just when I thought another year would pass by without seeing some powder. BANG!! A 1 week road trip to La Plagne turns up. Super SUPER psyched for this.

Right cheap too. We've got a 6 bed apartment cabin with doorstep skiing for £228 between the four of us. Can't go wrong at that price and the snow levels are amazing.

:bounce:  :beer2:

Anyone thinking about a last minute ski trip I can direct you to some pretty good deals.

Bowie

• addict
#33 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 08:54:42 am
had a week in les arc a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic snow.
my first powder experience :dance1:
amazing fun. although i found that the incessant giggling after falling over in powder soon gave way to "oh my god this is hard work getting up and i feel like an upturned turtle"

SA Chris

• forum hero
#34 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 09:21:18 am
4 foot forecast for Scotland early next week.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#35 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 10:53:17 am
"oh my god this is hard work getting up and i feel like an upturned turtle"

If I get completely wedged in on my back and can't get up I have some proper issues trying to unclip my flow bindings. I either have to dig enough room behind my leg to unclip or do in inverted squat and then struggle to reach the clip. Neither way is easy but both have me in stitches especially when I'm knackered.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#36 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 10:57:42 am
Only way to get up in deep powder is to roll onto your knees facing uphill. Anything else is just about impossible. I have found that once you go over 4 feet of fresh carrying a short telescopic ski pole is the only way to get upright again.

Also flows are not ideal for getting into or out of in deep snow.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#37 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 11:23:54 am
I'd forgotten about clipping back in with the flows. Gotta do it on my knees. Still I get a 100 hundred start every run on the regular bindings.  8)

Four foot of fresh powder. Hmmm I reckon I'd thrash about for 5 minutes and then think about digging in for the winter.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#38 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 11:52:00 am
Yes but what you make up for clipping in you lose due to lack of control and reduced speed!

Had to contend with 6 ft of fresh once, pretty challenging. Sadly wasn't good really dry powder though.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#39 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 12:21:52 pm
I've not really noticed much of a difference in control or speed but then I'm nothing more than an intermediate. Looked for reviews on the flows. Most appear favourable with some exceptions regarding the build quality (sounded like the guy was mangling screws of a daily basis), lack of snugness, take a long time to mount/adjust. I take it you have used the flows?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#40 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 01:01:17 pm
The mate I spent a week in Mayrhofen started the week raving about his new state of the art Flows, then proceeded to spend all week tweaking them, and finished the week ranting about how much of a pain they were and how quickly he was going to ebay them when he got home. I think I was quickest off the chair every time but one all week. Didn't really sell them to me, but not sure he got the hang of them, are you supposed to stay standing up whilst clipping in or knee forward? Either way doesn't make sense to me.  :-\

SA Chris

• forum hero
#41 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 01:04:53 pm
I had conventional two strap bindings on my old board then when i was shopping around tried out a friend's Flows for two days (don't know which model) and no matter how much I fiddled around with setting I just couldn't get them as tight as I was used to. Felt almost OK on piste, but as soon as I was in fresh snow, and especially riding tight trees where back foot control was required, it just felt like the whole board was wallowing underfoot. I ended up buying some Drake Mikey Le Blanc bindings, which are quite sturdy bindings, but gave me the control I was looking for. I have done about 100 plus full days on these bindings now, and had to replace one clip and ladder. If you learn to strap in while standing it takes no longer with conventional bindings than Flows.

My 5p worth anyway. i daresay Flows may have improved since 2003, but the fundemental flaws in principle still remain.    

Plattsy

• forum hero
#42 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 01:37:25 pm
The mate I spent a week in Mayrhofen started the week raving about his new state of the art Flows, then proceeded to spend all week tweaking them, and finished the week ranting about how much of a pain they were and how quickly he was going to ebay them when he got home. I think I was quickest off the chair every time but one all week. Didn't really sell them to me, but not sure he got the hang of them, are you supposed to stay standing up whilst clipping in or knee forward? Either way doesn't make sense to me.  :-\

I usually clip in while standing or on the move.  8)
The tweaking thing I don't get. Usually sort it all out first day and then just check every so often that nothing has come loose.

especially riding tight trees where back foot control was required, it just felt like the whole board was wallowing underfoot.
Maybe I just don't notice the difference now I've been on em for so long (and I won't riding tight trees again after I bottled a tight chicane and used my knee as a brake on possibly the biggest tree I could find (could blame the flows  ::))) . Might have to get some conventional strap bindings to compare to. Do you use the two strap bindings which wrap over and encase the toes? Not sure what the difference is between those and regular two strap bindings.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#43 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 02:09:43 pm
They are toecap bindings. No i dont use them, but have heard they are excellent. Unfortunately I don't think they can be retrofitted to my old bindings. They pull your toes in as well as down, but need to fit your boot really well to be at all effective. Will definitely check them out if I need some new ones.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#44 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 09:54:06 pm
4 foot forecast for Scotland early next week

Had a great day making fresh tracks down the back bowl at Aonach Mor on sunday. Big cornice made for an intimidating drop in though. Really good, didn't think I'd be getting out at all this year, great snow up high, nice and sheltered out back. That makes 7 days in 6 years I think - was surprised how well I was going to be honest. How do you rate the other scottish areas Chris, I've  only been to Cairngorm and Aonach?

On the flow tip, I've got the Burton step-ins, do they even make them any more? I really rate them, got them cos I'm always out with unsympathetic skiers, instant click in, you can even do it going off the chairlift without stopping. Its a long time since I've used owt else mind...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#45 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 01, 2008, 10:35:00 pm

I love Flow bindings.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#46 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 02, 2008, 08:00:29 am
On the flow tip, I've got the Burton step-ins, do they even make them any more? I really rate them, got them cos I'm always out with unsympathetic skiers, instant click in, you can even do it going off the chairlift without stopping. Its a long time since I've used owt else mind...

Tried these once on a hire board a good few years back. The only thing I remember is having to dig ice from the bindings so my boot would clip in properly. I was only just starting out so can't really comment on feel, performance etc.

A few friends visited Glen Shiels (sp?) for a few days and really enjoyed it. I think they didn't expect much and so were quite surprised.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#47 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 02, 2008, 08:39:01 am

How do you rate the other scottish areas Chris, I've  only been to Cairngorm and Aonach?

I never really use the actual resorts as they are usually too crowded and the lifts a bit limiting, prefer to go ski touring. Locally Glenshee has by far the best terrain, with the front of Glas Maol offering some great long steep off pite runs, but it's unfortunately the most sheltered and has a poor snow record. Lecht is shite and dull if you are just using lifts, the Ladder Hills in the are have good ski touring though. Loads of people rave about the challenging terrain on offer at Glencoe, but never actually been there myself. Overall Nevis Range and Cairngorm are probably bets though. I know some of the gullies on Lochnagar got skied last weekend, conditions look superb (vid on youtube)

Some good info on these sites as well as for off piste stuff

http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/freeride/guide/index.php
http://www.winterhighland.info/
http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/ got to love the name.

The 4 feet was a poor April Fool attempt by the way, although fresh snow is forecast I doubt it will be that much (sorry).

I have tried the step in bindings too (they were standard hire kit at the resort where I worked) but also found they had a bit of toe and heel lift when working the board really hard. Also see icing comment, I remember sever occasions when people got to the top of the chair lift with the board hanging from the safety strap, having not clipped it in properly. I also think there is a bit of a hassle trying to get the bindings clear to clip in properly in deep snow.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#48 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 02, 2008, 09:33:48 am
PS the West Coast resorts are claiming the best snow conditions since 2001 at the moment, but grab it now, I think a big thaw is coming.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#49 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
April 02, 2008, 09:42:21 am
A few friends visited Glen Shiels (sp?) for a few days and really enjoyed it. I think they didn't expect much and so were quite surprised.

I mean Glenshee.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal