UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 340854 times)

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#1275 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 23, 2023, 10:42:05 am
It amazes me how little 'safety' equipment the average skier/boarder has with them. As someone who is normally pretty gung ho in outdoor situations it feels a bit odd for me to be the safety conscience one. I guess I had a few times when I was younger which made me appreciate having kit with us - stuck on chair lifts for 30 mins, missed lifts etc. I carry avi stuff every time I go skiing, on piste or not. My wife and kid will have transceivers but for normal piste based days won't have shovel and probe (they don't carry a bag all the time). I also have a boothy bag, a pair of spare gloves, balaclavas, sweets, head torch and small first aid kit and then depending on weather/plans more spare clothing, food and a bunch of the time I'll have my skins in the bag as well. I've prob skied with a bag on every time for the last 15 years or so and don't notice it when skiing at all (it's a pain on chair lifts, embarrassingly there was a time when I was leaving it on my back on the lifts and it got caught when exiting at the top and they had to stop the lift, good encouragement to take it off again)

Adam - I have BCA tracker 2's (2 of) and a less good one and your welcome to borrow 1 of those at any time. Ditto shovel and probe. It sounds like transceivers have moved on a bit since I got them, but I don't think they are terrible - the site largers linked gives them an ok review.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1276 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 24, 2023, 10:26:27 pm
Also people who carry no repair kit. I now always carry as a minimum a decent multitool, 3 or 4 cable ties, about 6 ft of gaffer tape wound onto a stub of a pencil, about 30cm of thin wire, some cord and a pen knife. Learned the hard way when I've lost the heel piece off a pair of crap hire touring skis coming up from Loch Avon Basin to the top of t-Sneachda, and it's a long slow walk back down carrying skis, even on a nice day. Won't make that mistake again.

SamT

• forum hero
#1277 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 27, 2023, 12:38:52 pm
Good knowledge out there.. cheers for the link to the transeiver review page. 

I've had an old Mammut Barryvox 3000 for ever and ever.  https://beaconreviews.com/Specs_BarryvoxOpto3000.php
Pretty old tech now. Only 2 Antt. but would still work I'm sure. 

I have a Peips DPS sport  https://beaconreviews.com/Specs_PiepsDSPSport.php on long term loan from a mate who never boards anymore,

And a coulple of years ago bought a couple of Ortovox Zoom+ for my boys, (wish I'd know about the review site) but happy with the choice as the decision was based on simplicity to use. I just wanted the whole family to be wearing them as I have seen avalanche tracks set off by off pisters above actually cover over pistes and why not just be wearing something that could save their lives.

Was going to take the ortovox away with me this year, but having read the reviews, will be reaching for the Peips now.  Must re-familiarise myself with all the functions again.  (And test it as per the recall notes  :o)

Re board, Yes Adam, got a Jones Solution 2016 cheap on Ebay (200 quid with skins), couple of dinks and oldish tech but will do me for my skill level, Bargain! Bought me some Union Explorer bindings to go with it which I love, dead straight foward to swap over and feel very much like normal binding.

Bang up for some trips oop North if peeps want a team. Or even in the peak if conditions allow - has been on my bucket list to get down Mam Tor Gully for a long long time now.  Been out numerous times and its not been in nick..  >:(

Ordered myself that cairngorms guide.  :2thumbsup:

SamT

• forum hero
#1278 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 27, 2023, 12:44:43 pm
Also people who carry no repair kit. I now always carry as a minimum a decent multitool, 3 or 4 cable ties, about 6 ft of gaffer tape wound onto a stub of a pencil, about 30cm of thin wire, some cord and a pen knife. Learned the hard way when I've lost the heel piece off a pair of crap hire touring skis coming up from Loch Avon Basin to the top of t-Sneachda, and it's a long slow walk back down carrying skis, even on a nice day. Won't make that mistake again.

Yeah,, this!!  I've always carried leatherman with pliars, multi screwdriver thing,  cable ties and a selection of bolts that match any bolts on my bindings.  Might add some gaffa tape.cord too.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1279 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 28, 2023, 12:09:21 am
When I was working in a gear shop staff seemed to make good use of the trade account for ordering transceivers at trade price. Mammut seemed like what everyone went for. I'm not sure if you buy any kit from them already?

SamT

• forum hero
#1280 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 28, 2023, 09:40:49 am
Funny you should say that.. mine came from someone working at DMM at the time but had access to a Mammut trade account.  :lol:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1281 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 11, 2024, 10:56:08 pm

galpinos

• forum hero
#1282 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 12, 2024, 11:40:32 am

Add me to the list of the potential touring/split buddies! I also grabbed a copy of the new touring guide.

Re transceivers, if anyone is breaking out an F1 (please don't, get a new modern transceiver) at least check it for frequency drift (they are notorious for it). Better still, get yourself a new modern 3 antennae one! Most modern ones are pretty good, as always, you need to know your specific transceiver and how best to use it. I've got a Barryvox* and think it's excellent. Most up to date testing (of new/new-ish beacons) is the DAV 2022 beacon test, result here:

https://www.alpenverein.de/artikel/avalanche-transceiver-test-2022_056975e6-ba9d-4ba1-8d1d-423581ad1e5c

*No trade account, had to stump up my hard earned!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1283 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 12, 2024, 11:45:46 am
I've just ordered a Barryvox kit. There are a few European shops that have them on sale, unlike the UK where you seem to pay extra.

SamT

• forum hero
#1284 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 18, 2024, 10:37:40 pm
Anyone seen this

POV
https://youtu.be/ooG6tovMKJM?si=LB6tI1Reo1scv8Un

Same run from the drone
https://youtu.be/nePJR93Plqo?si=TXygkDMGLYhMDjfu

Assume it's not been shot in theCairngorms :lol:

Orgasmic.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1285 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 18, 2024, 11:44:49 pm
Forgetting about the skill level required, I have a rough idea of how it feels to try that hard and I struggle to think how it feels to keep that up for four minutes.
That's a lot of work on the back leg!

SamT

• forum hero
#1286 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 19, 2024, 11:03:45 pm
Yeah.. totally.. love the live sound (barring the horrendous drone noises) of him clearly working really hard... And the little squeek when he needs avoid the tree.  :lol:

I bet his thighs were burning  :strongbench:

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#1287 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 21, 2024, 11:37:53 am
Been doing a bit of looking into a last minute trip (probably last week in Feb) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Not bothererd where but got a few requirements as going with 2 well experienced mates and I'm 30+ years in so we're looking for:

Big ski area
Some ace off-piste (connies depending)
High up (better chance of Pow)
Easy to get to (was thinking of flying to Geneva and possibly hiring a car or getting a transfer bus)
Not stupid expensive

Obvious choice is Cham which I've done a number of times but I'm open to suggestions and even doing the chalet/all in vibe. Just super psyched to go and have finallly got the green light!

Cheers...

SamT

• forum hero
#1288 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 21, 2024, 11:56:01 am
Cham is a bit of a crap "resort" really. Everything is very spread out.. difficult to access. Off piste is pretty serious/technical. Tignes is probably much more up your street by the sounds of it. Massive area.. tonnes of off piste. Plenty of accommodation (though lots of it is really rather small.) Or the 3 Valleys. 
Avoriaz if you're into your fun parks.
Obv loads of others. Grimentz has loads of easily accessable off piste but is a bit spenny.

SamT

• forum hero
#1289 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 21, 2024, 12:01:23 pm
Driving is a good way of saving a load of cash. Extends your time on the hill by a day (you can squeeze an extra quiet day on the last Saturday and travel back Saturday eve/Sunday) plus we take a load of preprepared frozen meals in a cool box. (Chillis/curry etc) to rather thank paying eye watering costs there.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1290 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 21, 2024, 04:40:11 pm
With the caveat that I've never been to a ski resort I didn't like, i enjoyed Les2alpes last year. It seems a bit cheaper generally than the resorts further north, and (in school holidays at least) flights to Grenoble and (shortish) transfers via Bens bus were better value. Ski area is a bit different to most being at the end of a long ridge, with the top lifts being seriously high bubbles to carving cruisy blues at 3300m rather than the usual (looking at you, Cham, Tignes and Les arcs) single weather-affected cable car to black/ icy red. Not sure about off piste as we had kids in tow but I'm sure its great, there is one huge obvious run under the Piere grosse bubble. Town is big with lots of choice.

Had one of the best weeks of my life crashing at a friend's in Cham, bought a single to the top station of a different area every day then toured out (no splits, just snowshoes or bootpacking). None of it was extreme or tracked out but local knowledge was the key.

SamT

• forum hero
#1291 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 21, 2024, 07:46:22 pm
Also really enjoyed Serre Chevallier in the past too.  Bit cheaper, but not super high.

I'd hardly say Tignes/Val was a one cable car to the top kind of a place  :-\ .   The all weather underground fenicular gets you up to pretty much the top of the resort at 3000 meters.

L2A does sound good though.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1292 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 21, 2024, 08:03:25 pm
It was a long time ago, but we waited all week for the Grand Motte to be open, and when it was it wasn’t worth the wait. Have had similar at a few others.  Not saying they aren’t great ski areas but the 2alpes high glacier did make a nice change for late season snow quality.

My Dad is firmly of the opinion that Val is the best ski area and refuses to go anywhere else. I’m not convinced the extra cost is worth it, plus I think there’s a chance that Tignes in particular can be too high at this time of year in that the snow is no better and the chance of being baltic, socked in or both is higher. If you can go now I think go a bit lower and take the chance to get in the trees. But like I said I’ve never been anywhere I didn’t like, when I was younger we went on a couple of cheap package deals to random Austrian resorts where a bus ride and funicular combo was the only access to the ski area, still loved it.

SamT

• forum hero
#1293 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 21, 2024, 08:06:47 pm

Totally agree, basically snowboarding is flippin ace, no matter if its on Mam Tor/Winnats or Valdez Alaska :2thumbsup:

Paul B

• forum hero
#1294 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 21, 2024, 08:10:44 pm
Also really enjoyed Serre Chevallier in the past too.  Bit cheaper, but not super high.

We went to Alpe D'Huez several years ago now. I've been skiing since fairly young but my wife has only been a few times. We were skiing together for half of the day and then I was tagging along to a guided party for the rest of the day for off-piste which was epic. A lot of the group dropped out so in the end it was just me and another lady. I was really sceptical of the resort before we went as TBH I've been spoilt by the Three Valleys. We did the same in Austria (St Anton) and had an epic time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1295 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 21, 2024, 10:45:15 pm
Agree if you are driving or want close access to Geneva, Portes du Soleil is a good choice, you can get an extra day in as Sam says. Avoriaz actually has a far bit of off piste, as does Chatel.

I'd look at Grand Massif as the other easy option if you want quick access. Flaine may not be pretty, but the whole bowl is high up and gets excellent snow, with tons of off-piste potential. It never gets that busy (except weekends when there are folk from the cities coming in, but still manageable.) There is also a load of opportunities for lower stuff in the trees if the weather is bad. And if you have a car you can easily access Les Gets, Praz de Lys for some deserted off piste, or get down to Megeve, LGB or Crest Voland if you want some variety.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#1296 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 22, 2024, 12:54:25 pm
Good Gen guys - thanks...

Looking at Tignes right now as none of us have been - kinda tempted to drive but not sure how much cheaper it'd be than flying + car/transfer bus/train etc. My T5's not the most economical beast, then there's the tolls and it's a bit of a schlep - do folks do it is a oner from Sheff or thereabouts? I'd usually do an overnight stop in Font (which kinda defeats the object if you're trying to extend time in the hils) but 3 of us sleeping in one bed might be a bit "cozy"  :lol:

I've always got on fine with Cham tbh, I like the fact it's a proper town rather than just a ski resort... Some of my best ever days have been spent getting the Bochard lift up and picking Pow lines down the unpisted stuff either side of that or coming down the Bochard side of Grand Montetes.... Magic! I'll add that like JB I too have never been to a place to snowboard that I've not loved tho - Psyched!

Going through Air B&B's now - nowt's cheap but should be doable... Should have invested in a diesel heater for me van tho, might be the way forward (for both snowboarding and surfing!)...

Paul B

• forum hero
#1297 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 22, 2024, 12:59:48 pm
Use the Michelin planner to find out your cost (tolls & fuel):
https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes

SamT

• forum hero
#1298 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 22, 2024, 01:04:42 pm
Our family routine has always been...

Late Friday night chunnel booked.  (11pm ish). 
F1 booked an hour or two off the chunnel, 3 of you in a room, £50quid.. boom.  Collapse into bed for 6 hours kip, up at 8 and off, via a big supermarche, to stock up on fresh food and wine. 
Head across france on the Satuday, usually get up to resort late afternoon (good run), early eve if a  bit lax/or tailbacks etc.
Return on the Saturday.. , board till 1 or 2pm.. then straight in the van/car and get out of resort and to an F1 somewhere where you reckon you can get to early eve.  Dijon/Dole etc.  Nice meal out somewhere.
Sunday - hoon it back to the chunnel, usually booked for about 1/2 pm..  home by early eve sunday.

Def works out cheaper, especially if there's a 3 way split and if your good at prepreparig your meals and taking them with you.  (We stick a load of Abbeydale cans in too).  Wine we buy in france!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1299 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 22, 2024, 01:05:32 pm
GM at Cham is still limited, top lift burned down and they've still not replaced it, le tour is maybe still out of action too?

We've had great trips in the dolomites in the past. Can elaborate if interested.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal