UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 338015 times)

SamT

• forum hero
#1225 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 09, 2022, 11:23:07 pm
Pretty sure you wont go far wrong with a Jones Frontier.

Seems to have been a bit shift in 'shapes', rocker, etc etc.  Not sure what it all means.   I bought a 'signal' off a mate of a mate in about 2018 as he imports them and got a good price. Fairly standard twin tip affair, aimed as a bit of an all rounder.  It instantly felt a million times better than the early 2000's board I had. Turns so well and has loads of pop for ollies.

I think the biggest changes have been in off piste board shapes.  Lots of spoon noses with lots or rocker like the Jones Mind expander.  Mate has one of those and they look increadible off piste, and whislt rideable, not that good on piste and certainly hopeless in the park.

Just picked up a Jones Solution Spltiboard but not had chance to use it ... yet! If we can get our sons flippin covid jab situation sorted, we're off to Tignes at Easter. (Loooong story)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1226 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 09, 2022, 11:39:09 pm
Anyone up on current board options? I bought mine with a student loan in 1999 so it's about time. Not riding park or switch, prefer off piste if possible, but realistically 80% piste cruising with skiers. So probably something towards the directional freeride end.

Deals that caught my eye on Burton Skeleton Key and Jones Frontier. A lot of the other brands Ive never heard of... any insight appreciated.

I'm pretty out of date these days. I shied away from anything too specific when I got my last board (3/4 years ago?), as I mainly ski but like to mess around on powder days when not touring etc.

I rented a few boards, and off the back of that got myself a Slash Brainstorm - it's rated as an low-intermediate to mid-advanced level, but I think that does it a disservice. Yes, it's easy to ride, like....just automatic...but it also has the biggest landing sweetspot I've had on any board - not more nose-dive cartwheels when doing drops into powder.

It's got neither the float of a true powder board, or the edge hold of a stiffer freeride. It's not a park jibber. It's just a really fun, really accessible all rounder.

If you really like to charge through chop, or hit big lines it might not be enough of a board. I guess what I'm saying is that it's good to know what you actually need and what your style is before researching.

It's a rocker tip/tail with camber underfoot, which is probably the best combo for most folks. Sam's suggestion looks like it fits the same bill. (Jones can sometimes be a bit *too* full on for a lot of people? but very good boards)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1227 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 10, 2022, 10:22:14 am
Thanks peeps that's all really useful.

Been reading/ watching lots on here, useful resource: https://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/

Jones can sometimes be a bit *too* full on

Can you expand on that? Assuming you mean a bit stiff, for charging hard at speed etc? At the mo the Burton Skeleton key looks to have the better reviews but the Jones Frontier seems solid even if their 'budget' model. Much better looking too.

Just picked up a Jones Solution Splitboard but not had chance to use it

Very nice! The other part of the equation is I if I bought another board it would be something like this, so I can perhaps afford to get something shorter and more messing about on piste oriented for now. Son is 9 and on skis so will be a few years before he's shredding the gnarr such I can't keep up. Current board (Burton Fluid) is a bit big for me and more powder oriented too so won't go in the bin. Dropping in to Piste des alpacas has taken it's toll on the edges tho...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1228 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 10, 2022, 10:37:00 am
Never bin it if there's any life left! My Burton Canyon from my first season in the US (2003) is my go to Scottish board, and gets used in local fields and forests when the snow is about. My Baron is now permanently in France, as I ski tour most of the time in Scotland now.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1229 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 10, 2022, 12:10:07 pm

Jones can sometimes be a bit *too* full on

Can you expand on that? Assuming you mean a bit stiff, for charging hard at speed etc? At the mo the Burton Skeleton key looks to have the better reviews but the Jones Frontier seems solid even if their 'budget' model. Much better looking too.

I can't comment on specific models, as I've not tried them - I just know from previous experience that people often (me included) over-rate their ability and either go for a "park play deck" despite the fact they probably just pop the odd 180, or they (me) think they're a free-ride monster who should be in the FWT...

I ended up going for a 7/10 flex boot instead of the stiffer ones (Salomon Malamute?) and even then it took my a whole to break them in to a point where I found them sensitive enough. Same with the board - my old board (Ride Timeless) was so stiff (and a little small) that i just had a horrid time in soft snow as I had to hit mach 10 to flex it enough to stop it submarining and nose-diving.

Sounds like that Jones Frontier would not stray into the "too burly" category anyway, I'd certainly be looking at that one for me now if I was considering replacing. I'm lucky if I board 5 days a year now, so just don't something that takes a few days to find the groove off at the start of a trip.

Had the same on skis, my touring setup was Volkl Mantras, but when they died I went for basically the same ski without the titanal topsheets, as they just had a slightly more forgiving flex for tired legs at the end of the day navigating icy bumps or whatever.

We all love to think we're Jeremy Jones or whatever, but it doesn't mean we'll actually enjoy riding something lie hits:

https://www.jonessnowboards.com/snowboarding/211-445-ultra-flagship.html#/63-size-158

A mate of mine had a funny exchange (actually, this type of thing happened quite often) when trying to talk a rich father (Russian, almost held back on saying that as I'm not sure it's that relevant - anyway, you know they type) down from buying his beginner son the £1200 carbon monsters that would ruin his week, and potentially his entire ski life... 

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1230 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 10, 2022, 04:45:43 pm
Many thanks. With that in mind, I've ordered the Skeleton Key 154. Lots of last season bargains here: https://www.ldmountaincentre.com/sale/snowboard-c23/equipment-c89
Probably did the right thing as it has since disappeared suggesting only 1 in stock.

Shop blurb: The Burton Snowboards Skeleton Key is a directional shaped all mountain freeride stick with a setback camber, rockered nose and tapered shape.  With a forgiving, responsive ride, heaps of float and flow in powder and solid responsive turns on groomers the Skeleton Key will unlock a whole heap freeride possibilities. If you're an intermediate/advanced freerider looking to progress your riding to the next level the Skeleton Key is just what you’re looking for.
Review:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1231 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 10, 2022, 07:58:35 pm
Sorry JB, I missed all this due to snowboarding.
You made a good choice.

I would also recommend looking at Angry Snowboarder reviews when making choices.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 08:11:27 pm by lagerstarfish »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#1232 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 16, 2022, 02:32:42 pm
I had two snowboarding trips this year - one with the family and one on my own. Both to Jasna, Slovakia.
I got lucky with the weather and had a lot of fun.
I even managed to get a photo of the Low Tatras from my seat on the plane on the way home - most of the big descents I did marked in red. A satisfying, if low quality, image. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1233 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 16, 2022, 03:03:23 pm
Looks great. Still hoping for a family trip at Easter after boys trip in January. Hoping something last minute comes up that doesn't destroy us financially.

From your pics on IG etc it looks like descents are shorter than central Alps, possibly a bit less committing, verging on Scottish? Not that that is a criticism btw.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#1234 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 16, 2022, 03:13:44 pm
Yes.
Require less fitness than big alpine stuff.
Typically 250 to 300m vert for the main couloirs plus the same again for the more gentle run out. Still possible to do a full 1000m descent off piste.
No glaciers to cross. No altitude issues (2000m).

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
#1235 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 28, 2022, 02:47:54 pm
Can anyone recommend a good snowsuit, or snowsuit brand, for an 18 month old? All those that I've seen seem to be fit for a UK winter but not for anything alpine. We're going to Kopaonik in January and though it doesn't seem to get colder than -10C I guess I should probably prepare the bean for cold. We have a waterproof oversuit which I was thinking to put over anything so it doesn't need to be mega heavy duty - but better than a fashion pramsuit would be good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1236 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 28, 2022, 02:54:16 pm
We had kids in Spotty Otter suits from day 1. Son was fine in his for outdoor walks, pram etc. Bear in mind we had a very cold snowy winter (comparable with alpine weather) when he was born (Xmas day 2009).

PS keep an eye on second hand - we definitely didn't buy new!

SamT

• forum hero
#1237 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 28, 2022, 03:33:31 pm

2nd that.. spotty otter stuff is proper Gucci.. we had some excellent stuff from them when they were groms.

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
#1238 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 29, 2022, 04:16:13 pm
Nice thanks for the recommendation. Seem to be exactly what we're looking for but yep agree it will have to be 2nd hand. Fortunately can see a few on ebay..

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1239 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 29, 2022, 04:28:33 pm
Now I think about it, we may have got it at an NCT nearly new sale. Wife used to help out so got first dibs. Worth buying this kind of stuff out of season if you can take a guess at child's growth rate.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1240 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 30, 2023, 04:44:19 pm
Off chance anyone is in and about Haute Savoie from Thursday, and fancies some turns / beers. Will do the usual Portes du Soleil / Grand Massif / somewhere near Cham circuit.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#1241 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 14, 2023, 03:08:14 pm
It's a shame I didn't get good off piste conditions this year, but this bit of 360 video of piste cruising has turned out OK

best viewed in 4k definition

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#1242 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 21, 2023, 10:45:20 am
more hillwalking than snowboarding - but it is nice to be able to look around on the 360 video

I didn't realise that I spend so much time smiling when I'm in the hills on my own. Makes sense as I usually feel really happy up there even when the weather is terrible.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#1243 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 24, 2023, 06:48:55 pm
no new snow and wind in the same direction for 14 days - still, it was worth a shot

the sound tells you everything you need to know about the snow

as a proof of concept, I guess I have at least worked out a way of filming myself

my laces in my back boot broke near the top and a couple of days later I realised that my high backs were set way too far back for some stupid reason - still, nice to be out

video from the first half is a result of letting the Insta360 software track me from the 360 video - the gyroscope in the original had got a bit confused by my becoming weightless on steep turns

second half is the camera set in "me mode"

both using a 3rd party (cheap from China) long selfie stick

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#1244 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 28, 2023, 08:01:29 pm
Some better snow from 2022

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#1245 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 29, 2023, 09:26:16 am

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#1246 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 29, 2023, 11:48:55 pm
Next in my series of things not going to plan.
Desperately looking for soft powder despite the facts pointing to something else.
I tend to use descents like this as a way of learning more about the slopes in anticipation of better snow - even if that means heading down in worse weather.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#1247 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 31, 2023, 11:52:02 am
from Feb 2022

the start to a rather good day

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ui4r9iFP5II

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1248 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 31, 2023, 01:00:15 pm
Great vids Rob

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1249 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
July 05, 2023, 11:56:45 am
 :???:Amazing deal on the 2021/2 version of my board on the Burton site today - Skeleton Key for £204. I really like it, it's obviously not a park board but is loads of fun on everything and an automatic dream in the powder. NB they size a bit smaller than most.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal