UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 338032 times)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
snooooooooooooowboarding
November 09, 2007, 01:07:46 pm
I'd just like to say I've just booked my winter fortnight in Canada.  :great:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 09, 2007, 02:24:08 pm
Where 'bouts? Good deal? We are currently throwing ideas about for a Cananad trip.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#2 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 09, 2007, 03:43:56 pm
Banff and Kicking Horse.  There's no such thing as a good deal unless you sleep on a mates floor I don't think but checked out package prices versus diy flight and accomodation also diy flight and rv rental.  Package deals win hands down.  Still bastard expensive though.

And thats before I consider booking the heli boarding, which as Bubbs will tell you may some 10 years later still be the reason for his current financially inclement position!

Just ring round loads and get them to do the hard work for you unless you've got a straight 7 or 14 nighter in which case the websites are bob on.  Prices for most companies go up next week though (15th) so be quick.

AndyR

• forum hero
#3 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 09, 2007, 07:17:01 pm
Snowing in Whistler as we speak, and I flew over the rockies last week, and they are looking v. snowy.
Hope it's another good year - soooooo much snow last season!

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#4 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 09, 2007, 07:23:56 pm
allegedly alberta resorts are already open!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 09, 2007, 08:31:24 pm

You lucky pup Nic :)

And thats before I consider booking the heli boarding, which as Bubbs will tell you may some 10 years later still be the reason for his current financially inclement position!
You're not wrong, i'm more than likely still paying for that trip...but fuck me, it was one of the best things i've ever done :) Whistler Mountain Heli i love you!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 09, 2007, 08:52:36 pm
Snowing in Whistler as we speak, and I flew over the rockies last week, and they are looking v. snowy.
Hope it's another good year - soooooo much snow last season!
Hell it snowed in Aberdeen last night*, why would I want Canada?

*Ok so it was a dusting, it froze onto the car, was a pain to shift and had melted by 11, but it's a start.

Bowie

• addict
#7 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 09, 2007, 10:41:42 pm
 :dance1:
was eyeing up the canada package deals with envy on igluski.com, but can't justify it when i'm still a novice numpty, but was thinking france 3 valleys - either courchevel 1650 or meribel. Any beta on these or alternatives in the area?
Looking at the snow histories March seems like a safe bet for good snow cover, fingers crossed.

AndyR

• forum hero
#8 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 10, 2007, 01:25:10 am

*Ok so it was a dusting, it froze onto the car, was a pain to shift and had melted by 11, but it's a start.

Get those edges sharpened!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 10, 2007, 11:27:11 am
Bowie, 3 Valleys is a great area. Meribel is in the middle valley so you have good access to the valleys either side, but is a very "british" resort (with all that brings). Courchevel is a nice place (i think we stayed in the Skibound chalet in 1650) with loads of good boarding, an ice climbing tower and a climbing wall in the shopping mall (take your own sport climbing kit). Bit dear though. I am a bit biased though as we had fantastic snow when we went.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 10, 2007, 12:52:10 pm

3 Valleys is excellent - vast area, huge variety with some superb off-piste. If you go then Norton Sharley will be able to point you at the best stuff coz he worked out there.

Serre Chevalier is very good too.

Bowie

• addict
#11 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 10, 2007, 01:46:20 pm
 :kiss1:
cheers for feedback guys - its a goer, will see what the package deals throw up.
psyched, rad, etc etc

SA Chris

• forum hero
#12 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 11, 2007, 11:12:53 am
allegedly alberta resorts are already open!

Arapahoe basin has been open for 2 weeks already. Had one of my best 2 days in a row ever there.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#13 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
November 12, 2007, 12:37:41 pm
:dance1:
was eyeing up the canada package deals with envy on igluski.com, but can't justify it when i'm still a novice numpty, but was thinking france 3 valleys - either courchevel 1650 or meribel. Any beta on these or alternatives in the area?
Looking at the snow histories March seems like a safe bet for good snow cover, fingers crossed.

Worked two seasons in Courchevel so feel qualified and obliged to provide beta and did ride stacks in the other valleys - Merible and Val Thorens.

Of the three valleys Courchevel is way the best for pistes but probably poorest for off piste unless you know what you are doing with respect to riding and avalanches.  C gets much less sun than M or VT so would be better in March.  VT is cheapest, highest and has some excellent easier off piste especially the 'fourth' valley Orielle (spelling?) and at La Masse.   IMHO Meribel is rubbish except for the Moon Park which is the best park I've been in in Europe and Mont Vallon.

Go for C 1650, its the cheapest and with the best bars and best cruising and jibbing terrain in the 3V.  La Tania is also cheap.  Consider any cheap package deals but remember you get what you paid for, ie lazy scum like me cooking your meals, for a bit more boarding orientated try Pleisure, bit overpriced but nice folks.

Also since you admit to being a punter book some lessons.  You won't regret it.  Don't even think about using anyone but RTM, the best snowboard teachers in the Alps!

Hope that helps...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#14 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 17, 2008, 04:51:07 pm
Anyone got any tips for Keystone? leave 2 weeks tomorrow. Contemplating Cat-skiing for a day (heliskiing for the poor)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#15 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 17, 2008, 05:19:31 pm
Not been there but just been looking at the stats.  I recommend you take oxygen masks for the altitude  :lol:

Cat-skiing is supposed to be great, and not for the poor.  For starters you get to drive a cat, or at least sit on the back, which is a lot more involved than sitting in a helicopter!

One week to go 'til Canada for me and five weeks 'til Cham.

Are you sure you don't need any new bindings Chris? 

cofe

• forum hero
#16 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 17, 2008, 09:28:37 pm
Cat-skiing is supposed to be great, and not for the poor.

ditto. it's brilliant, and not that cheap

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#17 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 18, 2008, 12:09:08 am
Cat-skiing is supposed to be great, and not for the poor.

I know we've been here before, but a good gag is always worth repeating.

cofe

• forum hero
#18 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 18, 2008, 09:11:35 am
nice pussy

SA Chris

• forum hero
#19 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 18, 2008, 09:26:08 am
Not been there but just been looking at the stats.  I recommend you take oxygen masks for the altitude  :lol:

Cat-skiing is supposed to be great, and not for the poor.  For starters you get to drive a cat, or at least sit on the back, which is a lot more involved than sitting in a helicopter!

Are you sure you don't need any new bindings Chris? 

Working on CV fitness as we speak! Expecting headaches and trippy dreams for the first few nights.

They are giving prices of $200 for a day, and you don't need to pay for a liftpass and get lunch, which offsets the costs a bit. No idea how many runs you get for that though. Be fun if conditions are good.

And I am certain I don't need new bindings, ta.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#20 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 18, 2008, 02:37:27 pm
Going Mammoth in next month or so. Going to hit it when its at its best.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#21 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 18, 2008, 02:44:54 pm
What, last week? If you are Bishop based you can just head over for a day trip on powder days. Otherwise i wouldn't bother as it can get icy pretty quick (unless you are a park junkie). Also avoid if it is at all windy, I have experienced the worst winds i have ever boarded in there. And if an area is roped off due to volcanic activity, best not to enter! The smell should be enough to put you off anyway.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#22 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 18, 2008, 05:55:27 pm
Go anyway on rest days, get a "six pack and chips" on the way home and hit the hot springs in the desert.  Perfect.

Watch out for "the Dripper" though.

But wait Mick's left Bishop now.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#23 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 15, 2008, 06:38:27 am
I'm off to Cham...today! Oh, I am so excited  :bounce:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#24 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding