andy_e

• forum hero
#26 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 07, 2007, 07:39:10 pm

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#27 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 07, 2007, 08:23:04 pm
I just wasted two minutes of my life reading Daniel Kennard's blog cos I had no idea who he was. RAD!, SYKE! I feel so very old (and still have no idea who he is and even less inclination to find out).

Great looking problems by the way.

Well you might have bumped into his step Dad (Rob) on the southern sandstone when you were a lad
who had the cheek to repeat Second Generation as well.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#28 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 07, 2007, 08:41:22 pm
No I'm not bothered about 'confronting' someone for giving the problem the grade that they did, after all their grade could be correct and mine could be way out, afterall I'm not known for my ability to grade flour or anything else for that matter.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#29 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 07, 2007, 09:28:34 pm
well speaking as a master baker, I can grade flour. However I am really not bothered what grade thumbing your father is

Tommy

• junky
#30 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 07, 2007, 09:32:49 pm
Back on track - a couple of things I and others did this summer round by the Cowper Stone.

Carry on walking round from the Chips/Pie/Pea buttress and after 100m you'll come to a big 8ft roof. There's a lovely/'orrible looking flare thing that starts at the lip. Sit start this, from a hanging handjam and somehow get to the top: "Savage Me Softly" - which I originally thought was V5, but since going back... probably a bit harder. Project from the back of the roof, via a HUGE span and super-human body tension will probably be done (never?!).

Also... carry on walking another 50m and you come to a nice looking strip roof on a 3m high boulder. Sit start from the left with tricky mantle finish; "Fly Frisching" V6/7 and also sit start the right hand arete and mantle top out: Un-named Font 6c+. The project up the middle has been tried but not done - maybe about 7b??

All are great little problems and good additions to the already superb bouldering at the Cowper Stone.

Anyone done "Happy Amongst Friends" by the way? I.e. the new-ish Dawes thing? JB?

Tommy

• junky
#31 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 07, 2007, 09:34:33 pm
Also - in case no one had seen it somewhere at the back on some routes section in a mag:

Fall of Grace, E6 6b. Rivelin Quarries.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#32 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 08:09:44 am

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#33 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 08:21:54 am
Anyone done "Happy Amongst Friends" by the way? I.e. the new-ish Dawes thing? JB?

No, tried it a few years back, got to a point where you do a big reach off jams, couldn't work out what to do next. A good highballish porblem is to start as for Sad Amongst, then from the position Johnny is on the cover of the old Stanage guide, instead of the crux frog move reach up and right to the flutings left of Snug..., gain these and reverse down snug. FA Jimmy Snaghands. Sorry, couldn't resist. Good problem.

I'm not sure the distances from the cowperstone to those roof probs is as far as 100 and 150 m. From memory this would take you out into the bog. Shouldn't stop anyone finding 'em though, good fun stuff, usually have to evict a sheep or two from the landings.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#34 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 09:29:49 am
Sloper, yhm.

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#35 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 09:52:21 am
I just wasted two minutes of my life reading Daniel Kennard's blog cos I had no idea who he was. RAD!, SYKE! I feel so very old (and still have no idea who he is and even less inclination to find out).

sounded like a cheap shot at a young and talented climber to me..

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#36 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 10:24:01 am
at the fact he can't write or spell?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#37 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 10:24:56 am
sounded like a cheap shot at a young and talented climber to me..

Really? Well I'll consider my hands well and truly slapped then. Jesus fucking Christ if I wanted to have a pop at someone then I'd do so. Commenting on someone's "writing style" is obviously not allowed now as a bunch of over touchy girls [cheap shot] will take exception. Grow up.  :yawn:

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#38 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 10:46:06 am
British climbing mag editors should shove Gresham off their pages and get Dobbin in instead.  People know how to climb by now, and Gresham's superfluous ramblings are no longer needed.  No, what the strong youths need in this day and age is 'Ben Morton's Blogging Masterclass'. 

Climbing doesn't happen on The Castle campus board/woody any more, it happens on the internet.  Future generations need to be able to communicate clearly via the net.  We need English words for English blogs.

That Pear of Joy twat could learn a thing or two about posting regularly as well.

Greg C

• forum hero
#39 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 12:05:37 pm
at the fact he can't write or spell?

Hang on, you just started that sentence without a capital letter, outrageous!!  ;)

BenF

• forum hero
#40 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 12:12:23 pm
Hang on, you just started that sentence without a capital letter, outrageous!!  ;)

Did you really need two exclamation marks there Greg?   ;)

Overuse of exclamation marks is typical of the dumbing down and text speakisation of our precious language.  (I really hope that I don't need to add a winking smiley there)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#41 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 12:16:59 pm
wtf? 

BenF

• forum hero
#42 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 12:57:07 pm
lol   ;-)

TomP

• obsessive maniac
    • www.tompeckittclimbing.com
#43 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 12:58:02 pm

Commenting on someone's "writing style" is obviously not allowed now as a bunch of over touchy girls [cheap shot] will take exception. Grow up.  :yawn:

:wank:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#44 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 01:24:44 pm

Commenting on someone's "writing style" is obviously not allowed now as a bunch of over touchy girls [cheap shot] will take exception. Grow up.  :yawn:

:wank:

I admit defeat. How can I fail to see the error of my ways in the face of such well constructed, eloquent reasoning. I apologise wholeheartedly for my offensive behaviour and bow to your superior intellect. Here, have wad point while you're at it.  :-*

Yossarian

• forum hero
#45 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 02:05:48 pm
A blog is a piece of writing, yes? So surely it's fair to criticise it on the quality of the writing? If you're going to write a blog telling a load of people about all the exciting and/or non exciting things that you're doing, you need to realise that you're setting yourself up for criticism... Thus a crap climber who writes intelligently and sensitively about conquering his fear on Welsh VDiffs is, in my mind, the more worthy blogger than someone who is listing a load of (maybe) newsworthy stuff about his amazing feets of finga powa at Magik Woode, innit. People might want to read that to hear about what that person is doing / has done, but if you're going to put your writing in the public domain and it's shit then sooner or later someone is going to (quite reasonably) criticise it...

TomP

• obsessive maniac
    • www.tompeckittclimbing.com
#46 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 02:23:43 pm

I admit defeat. How can I fail to see the error of my ways in the face of such well constructed, eloquent reasoning. I apologise wholeheartedly for my offensive behaviour and bow to your superior intellect. Here, have wad point while you're at it.  :-*

Have a wad point for being a good sport old chap.  :wave:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#47 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 08, 2007, 10:25:19 pm
TomP wrote:
As entertaining as it is reading banter and insults - how do threads nearly always go off topic and aviod the issue. I have read topics on this site for years but harldy post because threads start off meaningfully (usually) and rapidly degenerate. Don't get me wrong, I like reading what people have to say and what is going on in the (usually peak) climbing world.

i particularly like these references after reading everything you've posted since.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#48 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 09, 2007, 11:43:46 am

This 'Jeremy Largeman' sounds like the wanking chimp of the climbing community.
Sheffielderīs who canīt figure out the FAs identity from that name donīt deserve telling! 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#49 Re: Recent Grit Things
November 09, 2007, 11:48:14 am

This 'Jeremy Largeman' sounds like the wanking chimp of the climbing community.
Sheffielderīs who canīt figure out the FAs identity from that name donīt deserve telling! 

Of course its Germane Jam Rely  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal