UKBouldering.com

Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent (Read 15603 times)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 05, 2007, 06:34:09 pm
As mentioned here http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,8192.0.html Jacky Godoffe will be over working at The Works the back end of next week setting problems, but also sampling some grit if the weather is good - as will Dani Andrada who is also over next week. All we need now is the rumoured Sharma visit to happen and it'll be a full house of heroes!

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 05, 2007, 11:39:11 pm
You mean he won't be camped out at the tor or -10 :jaw:

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 12:24:23 am
All we need now is the rumoured Sharma visit to happen and it'll be a full house of heroes!
Sharma's already been to the peak, have you not been on youtube recently?  :-[

irish si

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 02:43:36 am
david graham is even coming in march.  or so he says.  hold on and i will go and ask him, he is downstairs in my kitchen. arent i cool.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#4 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 11:28:55 am
Just got an email from Ludovic Laurence (the french beast who won the FIBO in 1997) - apparently he's coming over with some buddies to compete in the first round on the CW bouldering league too. In his email he says (and I quote), "I will show you engleesh guys how to climb!"
And he probably will too - he can do a bit....

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 11:34:55 am
In his email he says (and I quote), "I will show you engleesh guys how to climb!"

Mocking his own accent? How atypically French.

dave

#6 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 11:39:22 am
Is this news or just a list of people on percy's email contacts list. Shitheap anyone?

P.S. if this french guy is anything like all the french boulderers i've just had to tollerate in albarracin then showing us how to climb will be involve a lot of screaming/shouting/whooping/poffing at every opportunity and not a lot of sending. :wank:

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#7 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 11:47:49 am
They bring pof abroad with them? Blimey. I thought pof was being used less, not more.

Greg C

• forum hero
#8 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 11:51:06 am
Surely it would be more useful/interesting to report the presumable deluge of sends when they actually get here, rather than just nailing up a shameless plug for the Climbing Works and hoping hero spotters pile in to ply their trade?

By the way Gaskins lives near Rock + Run everyone pile down with your cheque books and you might catch a glimpse (please don't).

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#9 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 12:27:16 pm
david graham is even coming in march.  or so he says.  hold on and i will go and ask him, he is downstairs in my kitchen. arent i cool.

Are you Adam Lincoln  ;)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#10 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 12:33:30 pm
Sorry - that was me mocking his french accent....

The comment, "Shitheap, anyone?" sounds like an invitation to join you on one, Dave. I for one may pass on that. (Shameless plugging I'll admit though!)

I often forget that expressing excitement at some foreign interest (or any interest) in British bouldering competitions is a no-no on UKB. What was I thinking.....

erm, sam

• forum hero
#11 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 12:36:59 pm
What a deluge of negativity....
I won't be having my precious resource being trampled on by the mauraruding hoards, not being a local, but I would have thought it was a bit interesting to know a load of international wads are about to decend on this oft neglected backwater of international climbing? Or am I totally wrong and an idiot?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#12 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 12:40:58 pm
Exactly my point. Some people are interested in this, some people are not. If you're not, why make negative comments? Not helpful, yet typical of so many climbing forums. Lets not lower ourselves to the back-biting level of other forums and try and stay upbeat shall we? :)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#13 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 12:46:29 pm
Not wanting to be an arselicker (i.e. the price isn't right) but I am intersted in what one of the legends of the forest would manage to do on grit.

I might even volunteer myself as a celebrity spotter.  (there's one! wow a class 4 locomotive pulling some old GNER rolling stock, wait till I tell the boys on platform three about this trails off into trainspotting metaphor etc

nik at work

• forum hero
#14 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 01:00:26 pm
Well I don't think this is the bleeding edge of news but not really shitheap material. I mean these people are actually coming to climb. It's not like Percy started a thread about people who have decided not to come. that would just be silly, like writing about a route you've decided not to do or something....
Ludovic was a beast in '97. Be interesting to see what all these uber wads make of the complete lack of peak based grit 8a's.....

P.S. Take them to Rivelin Quarries, they'll love it.

dave

#15 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 01:08:36 pm
strong foreign climbers come to the peak all the time (likewise strong british climbers go abroad all the time), but most don't have a local aquaintance to advertise it in advance, and its not news unless they do something. and plus it can just rain. its certainly not news just because percy's on speaking terms with a few of them.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 01:26:46 pm by dave, Reason: typos »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 01:17:05 pm
trails off into trainspotting metaphor......

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance....

As to whether this is news...

"One man's news is another's chip wrapper"

:kiss1: :hug:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 01:40:06 pm by slack---line, Reason: stupid quote and hugs and kisses »

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#17 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 01:29:57 pm
I'm sure JB will be intrested in this news, just so he can make sure he's got everything wired again this year and give them all the tour whilst flashing everything to demonstrate.
My hero

nik at work

• forum hero
#18 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 01:32:02 pm
Fair point Dave. Anyway I'm bound to agree with everything you say after one of your recent posts sent you straight to the top of my christmas card list...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#19 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 02:00:55 pm
well I'm interested, who cares if it's a bit of plug  :shrug:

I'll not be entering those competitons, but sounds all fairly cool to me. might even spectate :)

Paul B

• forum hero
#20 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 02:03:21 pm
some french beasts coming eh? does this mean powerful problems to stop them in their tracks or weird shit that just leaves them  ???

Everyone should be well psyched that Ludvic is on the way over. After all he was a star in Hard Plastic  :-[

Greg C

• forum hero
#21 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 02:53:14 pm
Everyone should be well psyched that Ludvic is on the way over. After all he was a star in Hard Plastic

::)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#22 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 05:32:51 pm
I'm sure JB will be intrested in this news, just so he can make sure he's got everything wired again this year and give them all the tour whilst flashing everything to demonstrate.

You know me too well Dave, however I did this to Sharma & Ludovic last time they were at the plantation, which was far more fun as none of the british 'guides' knew who I was either... be psyched to show Dave around mind.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#23 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 05:36:35 pm
 For what itīs worth some guy we met in Rodellar was trying to arrange a black diamond sponsored grit trip to the peak etc, Daniel Woods and a bunch of names I donīt recall and feb/march were mentioned

cofe

• forum hero
#24 Re: Foreign invasion to Peak grit imminent
November 06, 2007, 06:07:45 pm

You know me too well Dave

it was Jim, word. or is 'Dave' short for 'Jim'?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal