UKBouldering.com

climbing whilst living near Tewkesbury (Read 2959 times)

LB1782

• regular
climbing whilst living near Tewkesbury
November 25, 2014, 04:15:27 pm
Anyone here live in Gloucestershire? There is a possibility of re-locating with work: we'd be living near Tewkesbury.
Whilst this could be a v. good thing for work, I've some qualms about the climbing side of life. I'd appreciate it if anyone could help answer a few questions.

Is there any kind of Gloucestershire bouldering scene?

It looks like Harefiled and Huntsham are the best of the 'local' stuff and might be OK for summer evenings. The Roaches and Dinas Rock appear to be reachable for a weekend day out. Is this right or is there something I've missed.

What about a place to train and meet people to get out with?
I've been the the Gloucester warehouse many moons ago: seemed focused on kids' stuff and lowish-grade chuffing. The pics of vertical limit in Worcester make it seem more training-boulderer-friendly. Are those impressions way off?
Back in 2011, b3n99 mentioned a board in Newent, but I think he is Sheffside now. Any other boards knocking around?

Duma

• forum hero
Not local, but from there the eastern edges are only 25 mins more than the Roaches so also doable I reckon.
Churnet closer than either.
Biblins Cave is also nearby (summer only).
Cheddar would be just over an hour, Brean not much more.
Dartmoor just over 2hrs?.
Don't know about the walls or scene there but the Bristol Walls are ~ 45min down the M5.

Not best place for climber but doable I suppose?

Think cha1n on here used to live up that way? Ross? I know b3n99 did, but not sure he's on here much now.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
You've got Shropshire too, should be closer than the Roaches. Some esoterica and a couple of major crags - Nesscliffe and Llanymynech. Once you're at Llanymynech it's not much further to the Eglwyseg limestone which likewise is very good but quiet. The Marches aren't the best for climbing but it's a very nice part of the world.

fried

• forum hero
There's a couple of bits and pieces up on the Malvern hills which isn't great but not too far. I think there are some videos floating around.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Harefield is barely worth a mention, tiny and not much. The bouldering area upstairs in Gloucester wall is pretty good if I remember, freestanding boulder in the middle and various angled walls all around.

LB1782

• regular
Thanks guys. It does look doable... but the climbing side of life would likely be taking a fair old hit.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
Anyone here live in Gloucestershire? There is a possibility of re-locating with work: we'd be living near Tewkesbury.
Whilst this could be a v. good thing for work, I've some qualms about the climbing side of life. I'd appreciate it if anyone could help answer a few questions.

Is there any kind of Gloucestershire bouldering scene?

It looks like Harefiled and Huntsham are the best of the 'local' stuff and might be OK for summer evenings. The Roaches and Dinas Rock appear to be reachable for a weekend day out. Is this right or is there something I've missed.

What about a place to train and meet people to get out with?
I've been the the Gloucester warehouse many moons ago: seemed focused on kids' stuff and lowish-grade chuffing. The pics of vertical limit in Worcester make it seem more training-boulderer-friendly. Are those impressions way off?
Back in 2011, b3n99 mentioned a board in Newent, but I think he is Sheffside now. Any other boards knocking around?

Lived in Cheltenham for about 3 years.

The wall in gloucester has a quality which depends very much on the setting - they got someone who actually cared in and everything got better, but I think he has left now so I don't know what it's like. They did double the size of the bouldering room upstairs about 2 years back though. The bouldering upstairs does have a big 40-degree board on it which when they leave it alone and just plaster it with holds can be good for training.

Huntsham has some good problems on it - some of it is truly esoteric but some of the stuff on the sliced slug and the Bivi buttress roof and things has some actually pretty decent problems on it.

In terms of the peak my GPS knew some really good way across the peak that meant I could get to Cheedale/Tor in not much over 2 hours, roaches is similar. Never went to Dinas but 2 hours sounds about right, maybe a bit less. Not tried the Shropshire stuff mentioned but I could get to see family near Telford fairly quickly as long as the main motorway junctions were clear. As for cheddar etc I always figured about 80 minutes to cheddar/brean, 45 to avon, similar for Wye valley. Lots of stuff to do round there if roped stuff is your thing, although you do only mention bouldering in your post.

Hth,

Andy

cha1n

• forum hero
There's a really vibrant climbing scene in Bristol, I know of a few who train at the warehouse in Gloucester and they are pretty pysched and climbing hard stuff outside.

Huntsham has projects up to 8A and some of it is really good quality. There are some limestone venues opening up of late and I think more stuff will easily be discovered if people go looking for it.

It's certainly not the Peak District but you can get by. I managed for 4 years, you just have to tie into a rope every now and then to get the volume in!

b3n99

• stalker
Just seen this so thought i'd contribute. I did used to have a little board in my bedroom in Newent but have since moved to Storehouse and taken it down. The warehouse has a good scene, really nice people who are pretty psyched but its a small scene, talking single figure regulars for sure! Bristol has a great scene with 2 big bouldering walls and loads of people about. Really friendly too and loads of people who are willing to travel to climb. If you live on the right side of Gloucester or in Storehouse/Stroud ares (I do know and would recommend it for travel, and Stroud is nice!) then it is only half an hour to the bristol centres and 2 hours to western grit or churnet. If your willing to travel Glos is a great central location as you can get to peaks or south south in about 2 hours, great for all seasons!! Hope all goes well for you if you decide to move!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal