UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide (Read 110932 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#175 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:14:14 am
You've read my opinion, its a great guide, I think it needed more gurning though.

Okay, you've said your opinion, but what makes it a great guide for you?

Moose doesn't like it and rather than being flippant (which you've acknowledged he wasn't) he's given his reasons as to why he has formed that opinion.  As Greg C has questioned, do you refute the errors that have been noted?  If not then I really don't see what your problem is with his review, and I won't until you can provide a more eloquent break down of why you think its great.

Why on earth are you accusing him of being a chicken?  He's written his honest opinion of the guide.  (Some) People on here know him.  Your true identity is?  Your homepage is? Your point is?

And ... it's much easier to do if you're protected by being anonymous. Although Moose could yet put me to shame, prove me wrong entirely and print his name on the forum.

Whether his name is printed in the forum or not, what difference does it make?  Are you going to go to the electoral register, find his address, stalk him for three months and then kidnap him and hold him in a dark cave until he repents his sins for disliking a guide you like?  It won't make one iota of difference whether you know his real name (or other people's yours).

I hope thats post a picture of a BIG CHICKEN!

You could always use the "Preview" button to check.

1000.dave

• regular
#176 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:18:33 am
Definately overly sensative :bounce:

1000.dave

• regular
#177 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:23:18 am
Its a bit cutting you saying I've not disclosed my identity - there is an illuatration of me doing rockattrocity on the homepage of this very website!  :dance1:

1000.dave

• regular
#178 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:26:04 am
'drawing' is easier to spell

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#179 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:27:57 am
 Call it over sensitive if you want. I still think you would be doing the guide and it's writers more of a favour by trying to sell it's virtues. I wrote my original comment because like dave I help moderate UKB and people are entitled to register under pretty much any name they want and post up there opinions, so long as they are reasonable, therefore I thought your challenge to Moose was unfair and beside the point (the point being, is this a good book).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#180 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:38:35 am
Its a bit cutting you saying I've not disclosed my identity - there is an illuatration of me doing rockattrocity on the homepage of this very website!  :dance1:

Sorry theres no picture credits and I didn't recognise you.

I look forward your balanced review of the guide.

1000.dave

• regular
#181 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:45:24 am
Fair? posting that review anonymously?! Seriously? You actually think this is reasonable!? I'm astonished!

The guide is excellent, contains all the best boulder problems in the area, its full of lots of great photo's. Any typing mistakes or omissions are de minimis and can be forgive by the sheer volume of quality hard work that has gone into making both volumes. Its better than any previous Yorkshire bouldering guide ten times over. I can add weight to my opinion because I've climbed lots of those problems and I did quite of few of those as first ascents.

I also have to say that I am totally ashamed that the picture of me on the front of this website represents all these sad fools who could not be any more negative and overly critical if they tried. Perhaps the time has come for the website to change its logo.  Please can it be replaced? I am no longer happy for that picture of me to be used and I do not wish to be associated with this website or many of its more pathetic users.

Sypeland

• stalker
    • http://www.climbersbalm.com
#182 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:46:17 am

oh yeh. http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,6512.msg92550.html#msg92550

1000.dave

• regular
#183 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:46:22 am
David Buchanan

1000.dave

• regular
#184 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:48:20 am
If anyone wants to take this up with me personally when I'm out bouldering, I'd be happy to.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#185 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:49:07 am
Can you tell us why it's a Groove and not a Ramp, then?  :lol:

Sypeland

• stalker
    • http://www.climbersbalm.com
#186 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:55:24 am

I believe though that we have not yet seen the bigger picture on the new guide, once we get volume 2 and the web site is up and running the whole thing will be one resource, I think at the moment we have only seen one third of what TC has to offer.
Combine that with Yorkshiregrit and we have some of the best documentation in the world.

1000.dave

• regular
#187 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:56:42 am
No Greg, but they could print your picture on the homepage instead.   :boohoo:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#188 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:57:24 am
*Big sigh*
I was liking the guide review bit, not so keen on the dummy spitting. What were you saying about other people being over sensitive?

I'll pass on your request to Bubba re the picture if you really want it changing.

1000.dave

• regular
#189 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 12:08:00 pm
No, I think its time i spat the dummy. I really don't like a lot of what gets written on here and I would like to draw a line in the sand. I am being a bit overly dramatic but I feel very strongly about this, enough is enough. I've devoted a huge amount of my energy and time to bouldering, climbing and training over the last sixteen years and I don't want to look back and think that I was contributing to something I feel so strongly against. It means more to me personally than a few idle posts on a website.

1000.dave

• regular
#190 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 12:15:25 pm
That's a yes. Please put one of your more enthusiastic members on your homepage.

gangle

#191 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 12:21:18 pm
just bought a copy of the new guide book, pictures are good, its simple and easy to understand, its better than the last guide and I would recommend it to anyone.   :great:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#192 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 12:27:12 pm

Those are brave words. Does me Mr Moose climb as boldly as he writes?

It would appear Mr. Buchanan is attempting to give the impression that he's a big boy now . . .  It's a shame that he has failed to accept or even meet 1/2 way any of the valid criticisms levelled at this book. 

We write and talk in the English language - please have some respect for it - and appreciate that words in print spelled incorrectly can - for some people - be an affront.  The appearance of typo's is unforgivable in any book, nevermind this one.  Their appearance or not is a question of time dedicated specifically to eradicating them - clearly - not enough time has been spent on this.

The quote above is deeply regrettable (and one I would be utterly ashamed to make) and has nothing to do with the new guide or any of the criticisms of the book;  alas it marks Mr. Buchanan out as a petty and insulting bitch.  I'd be more than happy to repeat these words mano-a-mano (please don't make the mistake of wrongfully assuming that this statement contains a subtext offering the threat of violence:  that's ludicrous).   

Everyone appreciates the work that goes into making any book - alas, some writers or groups dedicate more to this than others.

Personally - I would have been more than happy to proof-read the entire text and correct any general spelling error:  I would have done this gratis - as I am not working now (and need not fit it in around my dayjob).  Many in Yorkshire would have done this also, of that I am 110% certain.

Greg C

• forum hero
#193 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 12:40:02 pm
No Greg, but they could print your picture on the homepage instead.   :boohoo:

If you're referring to me, I post using my real name - thus.

I believe GCW's real name is Giant Crop Wrangler

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#194 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 12:46:53 pm
Ahem - I beg to differ and must most verily inform Lord Greg of the C that GCW is an acronym of Genital Crevice Wriggler  :spank:

dave

#195 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 12:53:55 pm
Dave I have no idea why you are so hung up about this whole thing. Well I do, may be good mates with Steve and thus understandably defensive of this guide, but to try to imply some people's feedback is less valid than your own is bizarre (the old lines about not knowing people's names is the same shit Mick Ryan used to pull on UKC when people had a pop at rockfax, and it didn't wash then either). If you think you've got to be climbing 8a+ and doing first ascents to comment on a guide then frankly that's an appalling attitude to have. The way you're carrying on is like saying you've got to be Christophe Lamoune or Olivier Lebreton to review a font guide.

In many ways you're actually one of the least qualified people to comment on the guide. Afterall, you're local, you know here most of the stuff is, you know almost all the problems and you've probably climbed most of em, so you need the guide less than a causal visitor from outside. You can afford to be less critical. If you don't want to hear the forthright type of feedback you will get on here then fair enough, there's millions of other websites you could be reading. I would hope you could read it and see it from other people's perspectives though.

At the end of the day people are paying money for a product and are entitled to an opinion. I'm sure Steve appreciates this which he's not on here whingeing about it, he's just selling guides and letting people vote with their feet and wallets, and it can't be that bad if people are buying it. And if people don't give their opinions then how can things ever improve for future guides, upcoming volumes, websites, guide reprints etc? All this feedback Steve can take onboard and build upon.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#196 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 01:47:53 pm
I believe GCW's real name is Giant Crop Wrangler

;) What are you on, Gregory?

GCW is an acronym of Genital Crevice Wriggler 

I expect nothing less from you, Hoody.  I ain't telling you what it stands for now  >:(

Dave B:  As a guide I think it's fine for an overview, if it weren't for the errors.  Spelling errors, wrong grades, incorrectly numbered topos.  Stop me if I'm wrong.  Now, one or two can be accepted but the sheer number of errors suggests this hasn't been proof read.  If I bought any book and it was filled with spelling errors I'd be pissed.  Why is this different?  It isn't.
Secondly, it's been touted as the definitive guide.  I disagree with that- there's lots of stuff missing.  Why should I buy a book, then have to look up the rest of the crags online?  A definitive guide should be just that.

1000.dave

• regular
#197 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 01:58:17 pm
Fine if i'm an appaulling bitch so be it. You won't want my image on your homepage then. Here's a new one which I think is much more appropriate

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#198 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 02:03:27 pm
I feel sorry for Steve - who has all this to look forward to when he returns to Blighty.  As it stands, he needs a new scullery maid - as his current bitch can't take the heat of the kitchen.

Greg C

• forum hero
#199 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 02:05:22 pm
Fine if i'm an appaulling bitch so be it.

Appulling bitch...

:-\

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal