UKBouldering.com

Oink snuffs it (Read 39214 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#50 Re: Oink snuffs it
November 26, 2007, 06:53:01 pm
Can't even download stuff to find out whether i want to go to a couple of concerts and gigs in december, so i'm not going to any at the moment. 

Could always do it the old fashioned way and..........take a chance!

Could be  :devangel: but I've discovered some great music live before I'd ever heard of them, let alone heard any of their music.  If you can't get at the music and want some insight, what about reviews of previous gigs?

Besides, if it is shit, then so what?  You're presumably out with friends who will make the evening enjoyable irrespective of the quality of the music. (or you could just neck some drugs and then you won't care what the music is like)

ian h

• forum abuser
#51 Re: Oink snuffs it
December 14, 2007, 10:29:09 pm
since oink has gone i have gone back to soulseek, however i am having trouble staying connected , when  peer guardian is on

wondered if anyone has any tips ?

andy_e

• forum hero
#52 Re: Oink snuffs it
December 14, 2007, 11:36:10 pm
Soulseek's so unreliable anyway, the entire program is full of bugs. I'm on deepbassnine which is great for DnB but nothing else.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#53 Re: Oink snuffs it
December 16, 2007, 11:20:26 am

I've found you can only run Soulseek without Peerguardian.

It's better to try and get entry to one of the good new "oink replacements" like stmusic/waffles/what

ian h

• forum abuser
#54 Re: Oink snuffs it
December 16, 2007, 07:45:52 pm
Soulseek's so unreliable anyway, the entire program is full of bugs. I'm on deepbassnine which is great for DnB but nothing else.

yeah i agree , it used to be ok , dont know whats happened

I've found you can only run Soulseek without Peerguardian.

It's better to try and get entry to one of the good new "oink replacements" like stmusic/waffles/what

again i have found the problem with peer guardian, where this never used to be the case

any ideas on how / where to get an invite

also wondered if it is possible to set up a private ukbouldering p2p, althougfh i dont have the knowledge to do this , i have around 120gb of music to share

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#55 Re: Oink snuffs it
December 17, 2007, 08:58:36 am
...also wondered if it is possible to set up a private ukbouldering p2p, although I dont have the knowledge to do this, I have around 120gb of music to share.

Would this be a great idea?  The rock (music) forum I use has a G-Mail account, but it could be done better.

(It's called the "Funky fresh beats etc.." music thread (you'd think that was a reasonable description of electronica) yet the more electronica is posted the more whines are heard, why so?  Perhaps a separate share-zone?  There's not exactly enough of it going on over UKB to justify the programming work, I'd guess. Personally I don't see the point on UKB - but it might stop people moaning about techno that no-one ever asked/forced them to hear anyway.  It must be a Brit thing:  to be British is to piss & moan 24/7...)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#56 Re: Oink snuffs it
December 17, 2007, 08:27:01 pm

We've actually already had a ukb p2p network in the past but it didn't work all that well really. Only a couple of us would share 24/7 and without everyone doing it there is little point.

Anyway the torrent trackers do it much better really.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#57 Re: Oink snuffs it
December 17, 2007, 10:21:30 pm
was about to post similar t'other day but had to rush off to the hospital.
Almost 99% of everything people want is already on the web somewhere. Just needs finding

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#59 Re: Oink snuffs it
January 04, 2008, 12:11:49 am

An interesting article regarding music industry leaks

An interesting read, and the fairly obvious logical conclusion (i.e. leaks are from within the industry somewhere).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#60 Re: Oink snuffs it
September 11, 2008, 04:21:31 pm
Admin of Oink is going to be in court soon hopefully the jury will have the concepts and technology behind torrents and their trackers fully explained to them.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#61 Re: Oink snuffs it
September 12, 2008, 12:07:23 am

Good luck to the lad. If he's prosecuted of anything then it will be a travesty.

He charged no money and held no music on his server - exactly wtf did he do that was illegal again?

andy_e

• forum hero
#62 Re: Oink snuffs it
September 12, 2008, 12:36:17 am
I bet he got a speeding ticket once, and they'll lock him up for it for 10 years.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#63 Re: Oink snuffs it
November 10, 2008, 01:41:29 pm
Not worthy of a new thread but wondered if anyone is a member of torrenttech.org? Struggling to obtain an invite from hanging around in their IRC (as advised by mods). If anyone can pm me a link to any other decent electronic music torrent sites, I'd be glad to hear from you!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#64 Re: Oink snuffs it
November 10, 2008, 01:59:31 pm
Not worthy of a new thread but wondered if anyone is a member of torrenttech.org? Struggling to obtain an invite from hanging around in their IRC (as advised by mods). If anyone can pm me a link to any other decent electronic music torrent sites, I'd be glad to hear from you!

Somewhat mixed bag, but theres tons of good shit at The Mixing Bowl.  May not be to your taste, and as with many others you're expected to maintain a decent ratio.  Just checked though and there aren't currently any invites available to dish out as they've hit their self-imposed limit of 50,000 members, PM me your email address if you'd like an invite though and I'll try and get you one when they prune inactive user accounts.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#65 Re: Oink snuffs it
November 11, 2008, 02:31:32 am

stmusic.org isn't bad but the best 2 private trackers are what.cd and waffles.fm.

hard to get an invite but worth persevering

Monolith

• forum hero
#66 Re: Oink snuffs it
November 11, 2008, 07:00:38 pm
Bubba, I could cry.

I spent the last 3 hours revising encoding, transcoding, decoding, spectral displays,  constant bitrates, variable bitrates etc.
all to no avail!

what.cd have a strict vetting process for invitees. I joined the relevant IRC channel and eventually got invited to sit the interview. I fumbled the 'enter' key and by mistake added a wrong option in answer to the question "Which formats are acceptable....".

> Lossless to lossless
>Lossless to lossy
>Lossy to lossy
>Lossy to Lossless.

I accidentally submitted lossy to lossy in my answer and all bar lossy to lossless (which I know is correct) .

I wasn't asked a second or third batch of questions and got booted off to "do my studies" and am only allowed back in 48hours for a second attempt. If you fail at interview on your third, you can't possibly get an invite through the IRC means.

One error, one shot kill! Be warned candidates!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#67 Re: Oink snuffs it
November 11, 2008, 10:16:37 pm

Wow, I didn't even know they had such an interview process! It's good in a way though as it keeps the quality of the place  high.

I was lucky to get in on what.cd when it started and I also very luckily got an invite to waffles.fm from one of it's admins on the strength of me being an old Oink power user+. I don't really contribute to the communities on the sites but have a solid ratio on both. If you get completely stuck I might be able to help you out but only as a last resort as invites are also very limited.

Talking of Oink, his trial is up in 3 days - I wish the lad luck and if he gets convicted of anything it will be a fucking travesty as he never actually did anything illegal.

Monolith

• forum hero
#68 Re: Oink snuffs it
November 11, 2008, 10:19:42 pm
I'll pm you now Bubba.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#69 Re: Oink snuffs it
November 13, 2008, 04:30:34 pm

The Oink trial gets put back again - this time to 12.12.08.

Surely the Cleveland Police must have some sort of a case by now? Or perhaps they just royally fucked up?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#70 Re: Oink snuffs it
November 18, 2008, 11:44:45 am
Monolith : PM'd you about this.

Everyone : The Mixing Bowl have re-vamped their site and sign-ups are currently open  :thumbsup:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#71 Re: Oink snuffs it
January 03, 2009, 04:09:23 pm

The Oink trial gets put back again - this time to 12.12.08.

Surely the Cleveland Police must have some sort of a case by now? Or perhaps they just royally fucked up?

And it gets adjourned once more - 23th March 2009.

I've read on Slyck.com that he has actually now been charged with "conspiracy to defraud", presumably the recording industry or something. I'm not sure how this will work out?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 04:25:35 pm by Bubba »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#72 Re: Oink snuffs it
January 27, 2009, 07:41:00 pm
Hahaha - Cleveland Police you are fucking idiots :)

Wonder what Alan Ellis will get now?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#74 Re: Oink snuffs it
January 28, 2009, 03:06:31 pm

Also just saw this regarding file-sharing in general - interesting development...

Yeah I saw that, good news.

If only David Lammy could have a quiet word in Jacquie Smiths ear about criminalising teenagers (and of course others)  :whistle:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal