UKBouldering.com

YYFY!!! (Read 1513513 times)

Wil

• stalker
    • Wil Treasure
#7675 Re: YYFY!!!
September 18, 2021, 05:38:45 pm
Cheers Gaz. I did the C class quite a few years ago which was fine (except for the weather on day 2). I've done various fell running things over the years, but that's the only MM I've done. I was quite surprised at how much of it was really about the difficult terrain more than the running, but that was what made me say yes this time, because I might not be very fast, but I'm usually pretty good at just grinding out the miles slowly if needed.

GazM

• obsessive maniac
    • Highland ramblings
#7676 Re: YYFY!!!
September 18, 2021, 05:58:48 pm
Totally. Back in the day I had several top ten finishes in Elite despite knowing I would never be anywhere near top ten in any fell race. Just got to keep grinding and concentrate on your nav.
Enjoy!

battery

• menacing presence
#7677 Re: YYFY!!!
September 26, 2021, 07:25:14 pm
Ran the Manchester 10k today. Training has been non-existent, I've had (another) baby since running it last so sleep is pretty much non-existent too. I was 1 minute off my PB. Chuffed to bits. And I really enjoyed it. Was so nervous before the start but want I've learned which also applies to my climbing is that trying hard isn't comfortable, it doesn't feel quite right, and sometimes it bloody hurts but that's trying hard. And it's paying off.

kingholmesy

• obsessive maniac
#7678 Re: YYFY!!!
September 26, 2021, 08:43:51 pm
Good effort Battery.

Nicely put about trying hard too.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7679 Re: YYFY!!!
September 26, 2021, 09:10:52 pm

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7680 Re: YYFY!!!
September 28, 2021, 08:19:28 am
Good job, and nicely put about trying hard. Be it anything from PBing in an event or snagging a segment crown.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#7681 Re: YYFY!!!
October 06, 2021, 07:37:33 pm
I went to the climbing wall last night. Now this might not seem worthy of a YYFY moment, but to put in context, itís been well over 2 years, possibly 3, since I last went climbing. Injuries, work, kids, all the usual things have stopped me in recent years. But I managed an hour at Ibex in Darlington, tootling about on low grade stuff. I was pleased to find my boots still smell, and still hurt, but the muscles knew what to do and I didnít embarrass myself. It just felt bloody marvellous to do the physical act of climbing. The last few years have seen me succumb to bad shoulders, and generally lose all my fitness and get way out of shape. Getting out of bed in the morning is not fun, getting up off the floor after playing with the kids requires planning, everything feels like hard work! But I felt ok moving about on the wall, it was very pleasant and quite surprising. Going to try my best to break myself back into it easily without going to hard to fast. Watch this space!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7682 Re: YYFY!!!
October 06, 2021, 07:48:33 pm
Nice one  :yes:

Wood FT

• forum hero
#7683 Re: YYFY!!!
October 06, 2021, 08:03:35 pm
Congratulations. I bet that feels sweet after so many years.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#7684 Re: YYFY!!!
October 06, 2021, 09:14:10 pm
Nice one Mr Tyson, always good to come back after a period of injury.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#7685 Re: YYFY!!!
October 06, 2021, 10:16:37 pm
Cheers folks. It is nice to feel like there might be a chance I can actually get climbing again, and enjoy it without too much worry about injury (the fear will still be there, itíll make me be careful hopefully).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7686 Re: YYFY!!!
October 07, 2021, 07:55:38 am
Getting out of bed in the morning is not fun, getting up off the floor after playing with the kids requires planning, everything feels like hard work!

What a drag it is getting old. Especially if you are still doing a physically demanding job.

Anyway, welcome back oh prodigal one.

I find after a comeback from no climbing for a bit that within a few weeks I will be climbing thinking it's going OK, then mid session any perfomance just drops off a cliff, be prepared if happens and don't try to thrash on, accept it and regroup.

SamT

• forum hero
#7687 Re: YYFY!!!
October 07, 2021, 09:21:46 am

"getting up off the floor after playing with the kids requires planning"

Lovely turn of phrase .. actually lol'd..   I know the feeling all to well at the moment.  First half of the year was going really well, getting loads done.. and since August, its just gone to shit.  Just not getting out for one reason or another then cold on top of cold, then tore my hamstring in my knee again on my first day out  bouldering in a while and now Covid... So feel like I've been hit by a bus..

However, once I'm out of isolation and feeling a bit better, the road begins and I'm hoping for a similar YYFY moment of going to the wall for the first time since covid began and pottering on really easy stuff.  Keep it up.. you'll soon be back cranking, but take it slow to avoid injury!!

cheque

• forum hero
  • Hangdog millionaire
    • Cheque Pictures
#7688 Re: YYFY!!!
October 07, 2021, 09:28:37 am
The best thing about coming back from injury is that youíre just on your own path and comparisons to what other climbers are doing are irrelevant.

Come on Mike!

SamT

• forum hero
#7689 Re: YYFY!!!
October 07, 2021, 10:48:30 am
The best thing about coming back from injury is that youíre just on your own path and comparisons to what other climbers are doing are irrelevant.

So true.. I used to compare myself to my peers.. ego was ever present.  Not really at all these days, just set personal goals.  I appear to have grown up!

(I'm not actually that good at achieving my own goals though).

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#7690 Re: YYFY!!!
October 07, 2021, 11:41:55 am
getting up off the floor after playing with the kids requires planning,
Not to talk about sitting on the floor!
Great news, eyes on the prize and take it easy.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7691 Re: YYFY!!!
October 07, 2021, 02:59:41 pm

So true.. I used to compare myself to my peers.. ego was ever present.  Not really at all these days, just set personal goals.  I appear to have grown up!

Also, forget thinking about what you used to be able to do, you've had a complete reset. Avoiding venues you used to have wired are good for this.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7692 Re: YYFY!!!
October 09, 2021, 03:51:51 pm
Managed my first 7C today (Launch Control at Kilnsey) after punting off the top twice yesterday! Well psyched. Got very close on a 7B+ next to it which Iím keen to go back for.

Iíve achieved parity in my sport and Boulder grades now  :2thumbsup:

Been enjoying the quick sessions recently. Warm up on the board at home and, if feeling strong, going out and just getting straight on it.

Took the dog for a 5 mile walk/run on the bridleway out of kilnsey village after too. First time doing any running for quite a while so happy that my knee held out fine.

Met a nice guy at Kilnsey too who lives a few mins walk from me - will be good to have company for board sessions over winter. Really good day.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7693 Re: YYFY!!!
October 12, 2021, 08:40:31 am
Seeing it got ignored on Power Club I'll blow my trumpet here. first 50km Ultra done, 5:12:42. Weather from good to shite, trails from glorious to fucking awful. Was just glad to make it to the start after 4 attempts to do one. 

nik at work

• forum hero
#7694 Re: YYFY!!!
October 12, 2021, 10:24:23 am
Excellent.
I have no clue about ultraís, but get the sense that completing the thing is as much the goal as any specific time?
Having said that, was the time where you were aiming, assuming you were?
Fine effort.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7695 Re: YYFY!!!
October 12, 2021, 10:33:54 am
Cheers Nik. It's a very different vibe to any road marathons or HMs I've gone. I'm sure the top of field are gunning for PBs and course records, but most are pretty friendly and chatty and just out for a challenge and getting it done.

5:30 to 6 as a worst case, 5:00 to 5:30 as a "be happy with" and under 5 as a stretch. First half went fine and 5 looked like maybe manageable, but some nasty hills and tricky trails in the second half, plus it started pissing down, and got pretty muddy, and ankle got sore for the last section, so happy with what I managed.

But got Dava Way 50km in late November, meant to be a faster course. (however might sack it off completely if weather in Speyside looks really shit).     

SamT

• forum hero
#7696 Re: YYFY!!!
October 12, 2021, 10:38:04 am

Effort.

I genuinely find the thought of such things far more off putting than say, Indian face, or grotty peak district caving diving.

Just pure lunacy. 

"Tha must be crackers"

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7697 Re: YYFY!!!
October 13, 2021, 08:42:27 am
It's just putting in front of the other. And eating. Someone described ultras as a moving picnic.

Duma

• forum hero
#7698 Re: YYFY!!!
October 13, 2021, 10:00:21 am
Nice one Chris, for some reason I thought you'd already done a few of these!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7699 Re: YYFY!!!
October 13, 2021, 10:05:24 am
Cheers. I've done Ring of Steall twice, but that's "only" 29km distance (but with with 2700m vert). I'll do another ultra over that again any day.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal