YYFY!!! (Read 2088321 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7600 Re: YYFY!!!
September 15, 2021, 07:23:01 pm
not climbing related

I've been learning to ride a surfskate this summer, taking my time due to age and frailty

today I had my first go in a bowl (Meersbrook) - what fun!

I've had to try very hard to be sensible and not go again this evening (legs were like jelly at the end of the session)

:bounce:

erm, sam

• forum hero
#7601 Re: YYFY!!!
September 15, 2021, 07:32:41 pm
Good effort! I have been skateboarding this summer for the first time in a vvvvlong time and it is fun. Main priority is not hurting something.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#7602 Re: YYFY!!!
September 15, 2021, 08:17:24 pm
Main priority is not hurting something.

yes, I tested the effectiveness of my padding a couple of times

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7603 Re: YYFY!!!
September 15, 2021, 08:19:59 pm
Nice one Lagers. Just avoid taking any 'boarding inspiration from Duncan Disorderly and you'll be fine and hopefully in one piece.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7604 Re: YYFY!!!
September 15, 2021, 09:10:08 pm
Did Cruising for a Bruising (7b+) tonight after giving it a go a few weeks ago. Technically matched my hardest sport routes to date too!

Been having a great time with short sessions at Kilnsey, Yew Cogar and Trollers lately. Got some real psyche for getting out again. Something special about stealing a few hours after work.

Good work. Have a look at Staying Power if you haven't already. Similar vibe and not much harder but a great climb.

I tried the link from Vorsprung into staying power afterwards as a friend was trying it. Cool route but a bit harder I think - 7c/+. All the moves were fine but definitely a big step up in difficulty.

Might give staying power a go next time though, cheers.

Went back on this this evening and got it second redpoint. First 7c and felt fairly steady  :strongbench: :great: :2thumbsup:

The walk out from Yew Cogar was still a killer though.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#7605 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2021, 10:48:15 am
Did Cruising for a Bruising (7b+) tonight after giving it a go a few weeks ago. Technically matched my hardest sport routes to date too!

Been having a great time with short sessions at Kilnsey, Yew Cogar and Trollers lately. Got some real psyche for getting out again. Something special about stealing a few hours after work.

Good work. Have a look at Staying Power if you haven't already. Similar vibe and not much harder but a great climb.

I tried the link from Vorsprung into staying power afterwards as a friend was trying it. Cool route but a bit harder I think - 7c/+. All the moves were fine but definitely a big step up in difficulty.

Went back on this this evening and got it second redpoint. First 7c and felt fairly steady  :strongbench: :great: :2thumbsup:

Nice. You must be charging to be getting a good evening session at Yew Cogar at this time of year.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#7606 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2021, 12:17:39 pm
Nice one Lagers. Just avoid taking any 'boarding inspiration from Duncan Disorderly and you'll be fine and hopefully in one piece.

What you on about??? Not been in hospital once this year!! (tbf I have probably only been skating half a dozen times tho but still  :whistle:)....

I should really invest in some pads tho (broke my wrist last year by just landing primo when doing a kickflip on the flat FFS!)....

Effort tho Lagers... Might see you in the bowl sometime!

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7607 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2021, 12:33:17 pm

Nice. You must be charging to be getting a good evening session at Yew Cogar at this time of year.

Leaving at 4pm gets you to the crag in about 50 mins. So quick warm up on the route gives 2 RP’s each. Won’t last for much longer unfortunately though.

seankenny

• forum hero
#7608 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2021, 12:50:38 pm

How likely is this for a beginner skateboarder who’s not 15? I have a skatepark near home, it looks like it would be fun. On the other hand the last few years have been a little thin on the climbing front, I intend to rectify that so absolutely no interest in getting injured for something that’s a side hobby at best.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7609 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2021, 01:01:20 pm
It's something I've pondered; kids are both keen to give it a go, could be something to learn together. I've got full PPE from when I had a brief foray into DH(ish) mountain biking, would look like a tit at the local skate park wearing it all though.

Never skated. Something carvy like a snowskate looks fun

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#7610 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2021, 01:03:53 pm

How likely is this for a beginner skateboarder who’s not 15? I have a skatepark near home, it looks like it would be fun. On the other hand the last few years have been a little thin on the climbing front, I intend to rectify that so absolutely no interest in getting injured for something that’s a side hobby at best.

It's a tough one... I've skated since I was 12 on and off and love it! I do have to say that it's put me in hospital more times than anything else I've ever done though! If you're careful and pad up then you can probably mitigate the worst risks... If you're not and still think you'll bounce like you did in your teens (like me!) then you're likely to end up in A&E sheepishly telling them that the reason you can't move you wrist, are coughing up blood, can't walk, have a haemotoma the size of a fist (delete as applicable) is because you fell off your skateboard.... And don't expect any sympathy  :-[

Personally I'm mad keen to climb right now so am not skating... How long that will last is anybody's guess  ;)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#7611 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2021, 01:09:19 pm

It’s not even likely for a beginner skateboarder of 15 and under.
The mark of my arse cheeks are well and truly worn into a couple of the older seats in the waiting room of Torbay A&E as mute testimony to this fact, proved now four times over.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#7612 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2021, 06:13:05 pm

I had no skate experience. Surfskate is reasonably safe to get started on and you can have a lot of fun on the flat at low speeds learning to pump.
There's quite a lot of older people taking it up. Have a look at the Surfskate Facebook group.
Some good YouTube resources are surfskatelove, shane Lai, landlocked surfer.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#7613 Re: YYFY!!!
September 17, 2021, 01:36:51 pm
One armed lock offs at a 90 degree elbow bend; 5+ seconds on both arms now. Feels like a strong progression and I'm dead pleased with it.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7614 Re: YYFY!!!
September 18, 2021, 08:08:46 am

A final YYFY - got on staying power yesterday and got it first go. Flashed to about 2/3 before joining the easier top of the route I did a few days ago.

Was a proper battle but hardest flash (other than the top) I’ve done. Loving Yew Cogar at the moment!

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#7615 Re: YYFY!!!
September 18, 2021, 12:03:12 pm
I've lost my running mojo in the past few years, and last winter in particular. (the odd 5k, but nothing much else)

My goals with running are always to keep generally fit, and to be hill fit, rather than any particular times or distances. Now I'm in Scotland this feels even more important. I don't want to get beasted on a walk in and miss out on great climbing!

Anyway, a mate roped me in to doing the OMM this year after his partner dropped out. It's given me the motivation to train and push some longer distances again. After 6 weeks of running more regularly and building pace and distance I've finally found my stride. Feels a long time ago since I last did that!

I've run 15k twice this week and felt good. I even ran them fairly quick, by my standards, which is always motivating. End of Oct for the OMM and feeling happy that I'll have the distance in my legs for the B class by then. Mountain miles for the next couple of weeks.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#7616 Re: YYFY!!!
September 18, 2021, 05:02:05 pm
Nice one Wil. I've not done an OMM for years but did lots for a spell a while back and assuming not too much has changed I'd imagine that you'll be fine in B-Class.
It's not so much about running fitness (although of course that helps) but more about being able to keep moving on rough ground for long periods (the ground was often hard to run, even for the Elite winners) and working as a team to navigate well.
You'll love it!

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#7617 Re: YYFY!!!
September 18, 2021, 05:38:45 pm
Cheers Gaz. I did the C class quite a few years ago which was fine (except for the weather on day 2). I've done various fell running things over the years, but that's the only MM I've done. I was quite surprised at how much of it was really about the difficult terrain more than the running, but that was what made me say yes this time, because I might not be very fast, but I'm usually pretty good at just grinding out the miles slowly if needed.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#7618 Re: YYFY!!!
September 18, 2021, 05:58:48 pm
Totally. Back in the day I had several top ten finishes in Elite despite knowing I would never be anywhere near top ten in any fell race. Just got to keep grinding and concentrate on your nav.
Enjoy!

battery

• obsessive maniac
#7619 Re: YYFY!!!
September 26, 2021, 07:25:14 pm
Ran the Manchester 10k today. Training has been non-existent, I've had (another) baby since running it last so sleep is pretty much non-existent too. I was 1 minute off my PB. Chuffed to bits. And I really enjoyed it. Was so nervous before the start but want I've learned which also applies to my climbing is that trying hard isn't comfortable, it doesn't feel quite right, and sometimes it bloody hurts but that's trying hard. And it's paying off.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#7620 Re: YYFY!!!
September 26, 2021, 08:43:51 pm
Good effort Battery.

Nicely put about trying hard too.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#7621 Re: YYFY!!!
September 26, 2021, 09:10:52 pm

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7622 Re: YYFY!!!
September 28, 2021, 08:19:28 am
Good job, and nicely put about trying hard. Be it anything from PBing in an event or snagging a segment crown.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#7623 Re: YYFY!!!
October 06, 2021, 07:37:33 pm
I went to the climbing wall last night. Now this might not seem worthy of a YYFY moment, but to put in context, it’s been well over 2 years, possibly 3, since I last went climbing. Injuries, work, kids, all the usual things have stopped me in recent years. But I managed an hour at Ibex in Darlington, tootling about on low grade stuff. I was pleased to find my boots still smell, and still hurt, but the muscles knew what to do and I didn’t embarrass myself. It just felt bloody marvellous to do the physical act of climbing. The last few years have seen me succumb to bad shoulders, and generally lose all my fitness and get way out of shape. Getting out of bed in the morning is not fun, getting up off the floor after playing with the kids requires planning, everything feels like hard work! But I felt ok moving about on the wall, it was very pleasant and quite surprising. Going to try my best to break myself back into it easily without going to hard to fast. Watch this space!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7624 Re: YYFY!!!
October 06, 2021, 07:48:33 pm
Nice one  :yes:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal