UKBouldering.com

YYFY!!! (Read 2098892 times)

Wellsy

• forum hero
#7700 Re: YYFY!!!
January 14, 2022, 08:51:59 pm
He had a couple of sessions without me so I'm probably around 16  :'(

Tbh I find it so oppressive psychologically. To go backwards on it which has never happened before, to spend multiple sessions just smashing my face into the same move over and over without success, which I've done before and since seemingly lost, and know that every other move on the problem I've done 50 times... on something that's at my limit, in kind of my anti-style (highly technical dynamic slap)... I dunno. I don't want to try it again for a bit. I'll pick it up again, and I definitely do want to do it (literally I'd trade anything else I've done to have done Bumlog Millionaire), and I WILL do it, but it's knocked the psyche out of me for a while.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#7701 Re: YYFY!!!
January 14, 2022, 08:52:41 pm
I know whinge whinge moan pull your socks up get it done etc

But anyway fuck all that, well done BID very solid effort, hard earned
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:03:05 pm by Wellsy »

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#7702 Re: YYFY!!!
January 14, 2022, 09:37:20 pm
Reminds me of a period of about 3 months when I was about 18 or 19, in which I completely lost the knack of dirt jumping (bmx/trail bike stuff).

I could get over the jumps, but the harder I tried to get more air, the flatter and lower I went. It got ludicrous for a while, where I was basically just going almost level from takeoff to landing.

Then one day I stopped thinking about it and suddenly it clicked. Never did land that mythical 360 though....

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#7703 Re: YYFY!!!
January 14, 2022, 11:44:07 pm
Reminds me of a period of about 3 months when I was about 18 or 19, in which I completely lost the knack of dirt jumping (bmx/trail bike stuff).

I could get over the jumps, but the harder I tried to get more air, the flatter and lower I went. It got ludicrous for a while, where I was basically just going almost level from takeoff to landing.

Then one day I stopped thinking about it and suddenly it clicked. Never did land that mythical 360 though....

I could land some pretty big tricks back in my day, but never really got to grips with the humble barspin! I had a session where I finally thought i'd grasped them, even landing truckdrivers (360 barspins) in that same session, but then never again!

Duncan campbell

• junky
#7704 Re: YYFY!!!
January 15, 2022, 08:24:43 am

Tbh I find it so oppressive psychologically. To go backwards on it which has never happened before, to spend multiple sessions just smashing my face into the same move over and over without success, which I've done before and since seemingly lost, and know that every other move on the problem I've done 50 times... on something that's at my limit, in kind of my anti-style (highly technical dynamic slap)... I dunno. I don't want to try it again for a bit. I'll pick it up again, and I definitely do want to do it (literally I'd trade anything else I've done to have done Bumlog Millionaire), and I WILL do it, but it's knocked the psyche out of me for a while.

Dude, it’s just climbing a bit of rock.

It’s important but it’s gotta be fun too! Sometimes you sneak something that should of taken ages quickly, sometimes you gotta grind things out.

Such is the way, especially on luck-based scrittle...

remus

• forum hero
#7705 Re: YYFY!!!
January 15, 2022, 08:33:25 am
Tbf I think he's going about it the right way, gotta take a break when the psyche isn't there otherwise you'll just grind yourself down doing something that's bringing no enjoyment.

Have a few weeks off, come back and do it first go, swear off gritstone for the rest of your life because it's ridiculous. It's a tried and tested formula.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#7706 Re: YYFY!!!
January 15, 2022, 11:15:26 am
haha yeah im not saying don't have a break.

just dont think of it as psychologically oppressive. its meant to be fun after all. plus it will make you more likely to choke if you start letting it get to you!

breaks a are very good idea. used it this summer to keep things fresh on my projects.

I guess what i meant by grinding things out was; sometimes things take longer than you think they should. and sometimes things go quicker than they should. its why climbing is so fun.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7707 Re: YYFY!!!
January 15, 2022, 11:54:06 am

Sounds grim. Maybe you should start redpointing The Oak this summer...

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#7708 Re: YYFY!!!
January 15, 2022, 12:20:00 pm

Spring and autumn. Got to get those connies just right  ;)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#7709 Re: YYFY!!!
January 15, 2022, 01:09:06 pm
I'd trade anything else I've done to have done Bumlog Millionaire

I can’t think of another problem name that would make this statement funnier.  :lol:

Wellsy

• forum hero
#7710 Re: YYFY!!!
January 15, 2022, 01:55:10 pm

This joke has been made, to my deep consternation. A running theme

I think the break is a good idea. There's always other stuff. And it'll go it's just a case of wanting to enjoy it, rather than suffer it.

The name is excellent comedy material yes  ;D

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#7711 Re: YYFY!!!
January 25, 2022, 04:59:09 am
This one had been giving me grief over multiple sessions that included falling stupidly on the last move on my third session and then regressing so much on the next few sessions that i almost just bagged it in altogether. Super happy to have got it in the bag, especially during an about 1-hour weather window on a rainy day and during a period of gym closures - HK has locked them down again due to omicron - just as well as i'd have gone inside otherwise...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7712 Re: YYFY!!!
January 29, 2022, 11:10:19 am
Looks a bit eliminate but very cool, nice one sneaking it in. And what a lovely location!

andy popp

• forum hero
#7713 Re: YYFY!!!
February 04, 2022, 06:56:50 pm
One of the young Eritrean refugees we welcomed into our home in December 2016, the one who has become a de facto member of our family, passed his US citizenship test today. Another milestone. He should graduate with his degree this summer.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7714 Re: YYFY!!!
February 27, 2022, 09:49:20 pm
Climbing in the sunshine  :dance1:

Duma

• forum hero
#7715 Re: YYFY!!!
February 27, 2022, 09:59:40 pm
It's so good isn't it

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#7716 Re: YYFY!!!
February 27, 2022, 11:25:53 pm
Onwards and into the Light, my friends.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7717 Re: YYFY!!!
February 28, 2022, 07:31:37 am
Memory fails, Wharncliffe?

webbo

• forum hero
#7718 Re: YYFY!!!
February 28, 2022, 08:41:11 am
Is not Lancashire Golden Tower?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#7719 Re: YYFY!!!
February 28, 2022, 09:31:28 am
Is not Lancashire Golden Tower?

The very same. Blue skies, warm sun on the rock, an arm-exploding pump. I could have wept.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7720 Re: YYFY!!!
February 28, 2022, 10:01:52 am
Ah OK. Never been, so don't feel bad that I don't recognise it.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#7721 Re: YYFY!!!
March 02, 2022, 03:19:46 pm
After 6 years, and thousands upon thousands of hours of effort by a team of over 100 extraordinary local volunteers, this morning we sent our guidebook to the printers.
This has been such a long project, with so much work at the crags and at our desks, that this day has been some abstract future notion. When you're standing under Langcliffe with the camera, waiting for the cloud cover to make the light right for your topo photo, or when you're trogging up to some crag to try again to get action photos in nice light, or up late checking and editing scripts, you can't think of the end because it's so far away. You just have get on with the next thing that needs doing, and when that's done you get on with the next thing.

Slowly, but surely, it has taken shape and now I can only hope that we've done justice to the efforts of all the contributors who have made it happen, and that it brings joy to those who use it. I suppose I ought to say what it covers. 608 pages, full to the brim with the best trad, sport, and bouldering in Northumberland, Yorkshire Limestone, Yorkshire Gritstone, Lancashire, and the North York Moors.

YYFY!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7722 Re: YYFY!!!
March 02, 2022, 03:56:02 pm
Looks great, well done all involved

UnkArl

• player
#7723 Re: YYFY!!!
March 02, 2022, 06:29:58 pm
Respect!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7724 Re: YYFY!!!
March 02, 2022, 06:52:33 pm
A good YYFY that, well done.

Psyched for you to move on to the imminent new Yorkshire Limestone guide now!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal