UKBouldering.com

YYFY!!! (Read 2088578 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7575 Re: YYFY!!!
July 13, 2021, 10:18:54 am
^ This.

Working our way through the local Munros and some Corbetts with the kids, and I have the paper map in the rucksack for backup, and use the phone for all navigation, not needed the paper map yet.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7576 Re: YYFY!!!
July 16, 2021, 04:44:29 pm
I'd probably get it checked out further before cracking on with climbing. As above, scaphoid # can be very hard to see on any scans, but potentially bad news if untreated. IIRC some distil radius # are hard to see as well, and also a common one after FOOSH injuries. Not trying to worry you, if also may very well just be a bit bruised but a little more patience is rarely regretted in the long run.

A quick update; the long awaited consultation from my local GP on the radiology report was a text message "The followup Xray of your right wrist was normal.  Best Wishes.  Dr XXXX".  No mention of any possibility it might still be broken or prognosis / advice on care . 

So, I decided to do what I probably should have done from the start and informed my work healthcare insurance of the accident.  Had a video interview with a GP later that day and he said the intermittant pain is probably internal inflammation but he'd refer me for an MRI just to make sure.  Two days later, thanks to a cancellation, I had the MRI (which was a lot more "Event Horizon" than I was expecting) and am now waiting for the findings. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7577 Re: YYFY!!!
July 16, 2021, 05:16:38 pm
scary things! even more so if you have climb completely inside them (back injury).

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7578 Re: YYFY!!!
July 16, 2021, 05:46:30 pm
Had a video interview with a GP later that day and he said the intermittent pain is probably internal inflammation but he'd refer me for an MRI just to make sure. 

It probably is inflammation or oedema but the scan, to make sure, is worth it. Hope it's all ok.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7579 Re: YYFY!!!
July 16, 2021, 06:01:44 pm
I've got the app but only have the Ilkley area map downloaded to it (free download with the paper copy).  Outside the Ilkley area it's very low res and bugger all use where there's no signal (which has occurred dismayingly often!).  When I get the maps I've ordered, I'll be able to download off-line 1:25,000 coverage for everywhere I want to go - might purchase the app subscription too as it's not too pricey.

The OS subscription is great value if you walk regularly - mapping for the whole of the UK for £24 a year including ability to download of map area or route so lack of mobile signal is not an issue.  Despite being moderately competent with a map/compass the ability to have 1:25,000 map on your phone showing you exact location makes everything so much easier.  Also have access to lots of other peoples routes which can be useful for planning.  The app is not perfect and has a few irritating quirks but does the important stuff well.

The ability to print off bits of maps has been useful for giving the kids their own maps when we go out

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7580 Re: YYFY!!!
July 16, 2021, 06:55:22 pm
Been doing the same with Cubs too.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7581 Re: YYFY!!!
July 16, 2021, 07:36:42 pm
scary things! even more so if you have climb completely inside them (back injury).

Oh... I had to go all the way in, while maintaining a one-arm-outstretched superman position! I was prepared for some stress from being motionless for so long, it was the intense noise that was unexpected!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7582 Re: YYFY!!!
July 17, 2021, 10:31:41 am
Love it. All the bewildering whirring clanking and grinding, what does it all mean?? They offered to pipe in music through the ear protectors, I asked if I could go in without the ear protectors at all - not allowed apparently  ::)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#7583 Re: YYFY!!!
July 17, 2021, 12:30:14 pm
Oh... I had to go all the way in, while maintaining a one-arm-outstretched superman position!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7584 Re: YYFY!!!
July 17, 2021, 02:33:09 pm
Love it. All the bewildering whirring clanking and grinding, what does it all mean??

The intense magnetic fields of an MRI weaken the barrier between the material world and The Warp; the noise is Chaos, daemons trying to tear through the rift and steal your soul!  More seriously though (just), you possibly missed out if you didn't have music, it gave my experience a rather spectral quality!

slab_happy

• forum hero
#7585 Re: YYFY!!!
July 17, 2021, 04:46:06 pm
But music makes it harder to listen to the exciting post-industrial soundscape!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7586 Re: YYFY!!!
July 17, 2021, 05:00:24 pm
But music makes it harder to listen to the exciting post-industrial soundscape!

In my case the headphones were so bad (presumably as they can't have magnets in?) that the music was just an faint, intermittant motif among the noise - like someone putting tinsel on a sledgehammer!

Buggerit, this explains the full experience better, for those who haven'e experienced the delights of modern diagnostic medicine.  Shamelessly reposted from my facebook page: 

The offer of an MRI scan at 90 minutes notice, only two days after my referral thanks to a late cancellation; I gratefully accepted the chance.  I assumed it would be a fleeting, trivial procedure; a few minutes in Bingley then back to work. 

But while hardly long, at around half-an-hour, it was an unsettling and intense experience.  Stretched supine, balky arm outstretched and clamped in a padded box, a sheet draped over my head; I was repeatedly and firmly instructed to remain motionless, otherwise the scan would have to restart. 

I expected some physical discomfort as I was slid, posed like a corpse in an ancient burial rite into the illuminated maw of the scanner but I was completely unprepared for the noise.  A continual cacophony of clatters, crashes, hammering, whines, and buzzes; with brief, silent interludes that tricked me into thinking the scan was complete. 

I was given a pair of headphones to mitigate the aural assault but they were weedy things, their output only evident during lulls in the noise.  A radio program was interviewing someone who had produced classical arrangements of Joy Division songs.  The ghostly voice of an Ian Curtis impersonator occasionally slid into my consciousness before being obliterated “… or respect run so dry….chugga-chugga-KLANG-bzzzzzzzzzz”.  Like a séance in the middle of roadworks, or being trapped in a floatation tank with a post-punk DIY enthusiast. 

Eventually it was over; I was told to put my shoes back on and staggered into the sunlight.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#7587 Re: YYFY!!!
July 17, 2021, 07:01:01 pm
I'm amazed they don't routinely tell people in advance about the noise (and I try to tell people whenever I know someone who's going to have an MRI).

You'd think it'd be a good idea to mention "Oh yeah, it's going to sound like some hideous mechanical disaster is occurring all around you while you're stuck in this tube, but don't panic, that's normal".

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7588 Re: YYFY!!!
July 17, 2021, 07:03:03 pm
You'd think it'd be a good idea to mention "Oh yeah, it's going to sound like some Hideous Mechanical Disaster is occurring all around you while you're stuck in this tube, but don't panic, that's normal".
Their second album is pretty sick tbh, ramped up the grindcore influence and the guitar tone is relentless  :punk:

slab_happy

• forum hero
#7589 Re: YYFY!!!
July 17, 2021, 08:41:16 pm
For anyone who is not familiar with these auditory delights:

I have had various MRIs and admit I now find the noise weirdly relaxing.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7590 Re: YYFY!!!
July 17, 2021, 09:44:51 pm
It was the mixture of "hideous mechanical disaster" and barely heard music that did it for me:

KLANGA-KLANGA-KLANGA- love will tear us apart again...-CHUGGA-CHUGGA-ZZZZ-ZZZ- still this appeal- BANGA-BANGA-CLANK.... ...PSSST....

"Mr Ward, can you please get up, and put your shoes back on?"

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#7591 Re: YYFY!!!
July 18, 2021, 06:26:49 pm
I have had various MRIs and admit I now find the noise weirdly relaxing.

Same. It’s the highlight of any hospital trip.  Autechre/Russel Hasswell/Kevin Drumm/Peter Reberg/Prurient - it’s not far off to what I listen to at home at times.

Simon Grab made an album from samples https://simongrab.bandcamp.com/album/mri enjoy 😉

Get well soon Moose!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#7592 Re: YYFY!!!
August 12, 2021, 07:03:09 pm
No.1 sprog picked up her GCSE results today.
Two 9’s
Four 8’s (plus an 8 in Statistics that she sat last year)
Two 7’s
And a Distinction* (BTEC) in performing arts.

I had no hand in any of it, not helping with homework, even once (if I offered, she would roll her eyes and politely tell me to F off).
Last year, I asked her if she wanted to sit down and choose a 6th form. She gave me a funny look and said she’d already done all her applications and had two online interviews.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#7593 Re: YYFY!!!
August 30, 2021, 09:32:39 pm
I managed 5 x 10 second hangs using half crimp. feet off the floor!

Finger rehab is working.   :strongbench:

Two months ago, any bodyweight hang resulted in pulley pain, and I haven't pulled hard since April. Soon!!!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7594 Re: YYFY!!!
September 02, 2021, 04:21:02 pm
Which arm, dunngy??

dunnyg

• forum hero
#7595 Re: YYFY!!!
September 02, 2021, 05:11:50 pm
Right. Hangs were from both arms though

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7596 Re: YYFY!!!
September 07, 2021, 10:04:25 pm
Did Cruising for a Bruising (7b+) tonight after giving it a go a few weeks ago. Technically matched my hardest sport routes to date too!

Been having a great time with short sessions at Kilnsey, Yew Cogar and Trollers lately. Got some real psyche for getting out again. Something special about stealing a few hours after work.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#7597 Re: YYFY!!!
September 07, 2021, 11:09:51 pm
Did Cruising for a Bruising (7b+) tonight after giving it a go a few weeks ago. Technically matched my hardest sport routes to date too!

Been having a great time with short sessions at Kilnsey, Yew Cogar and Trollers lately. Got some real psyche for getting out again. Something special about stealing a few hours after work.

Good work. Have a look at Staying Power if you haven't already. Similar vibe and not much harder but a great climb.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7598 Re: YYFY!!!
September 08, 2021, 07:28:36 am

Good work. Have a look at Staying Power if you haven't already. Similar vibe and not much harder but a great climb.

I tried the link from Vorsprung into staying power afterwards as a friend was trying it. Cool route but a bit harder I think - 7c/+. All the moves were fine but definitely a big step up in difficulty.

Might give staying power a go next time though, cheers.

Ross Barker

• menacing presence
  • Deathly afraid of traverses
#7599 Re: YYFY!!!
September 09, 2021, 08:33:52 am
Managed 1-4-7 on the big campus rungs last night, on both sides as well! Pretty chuffed as I was immensely close to getting it pre-pandemic, but since then I've felt like I'm a bit weaker and lacking in power.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal