September 15, 2020, 11:33:38 am
I'm with Jim on this one

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#7401 Re: YYFY!!!
September 15, 2020, 12:28:34 pm
Great effort Simon! Is your right arm generally stronger on those hangs/ one arm max hangs? For me its my left, and I'm right handed.

Thanks Jim. Yes always been much stronger on my right hanging and pulling. I’m right handed.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#7402 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2020, 12:25:36 pm
Handed in my thesis last week, ticked a lime 7B id failed on a year or so ago after putting up some new easy boulders up, and got a job offer the same day.

gme

• forum hero
#7403 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2020, 02:10:30 pm
Thanks Rob but I think you are being generous there on the left arm hang.

This time last year when I’d lost weight I was pleased to comfortably hang the top outermost slots. I was doing some campus boarding today and thought I’d check out whether I could hang the top slots and it felt piss. Did a bit more on the campus board and wondered how I’d feel on the bottom middle edge and went back upstairs and did it!

Did it again for the camera to prove to myself I wasn’t dreaming and because I regret not having filmed myself doing one armers when for a brief period I could do them. 

When I first read about Moffat doing one arm hangs on edges  BITD it seemed like an impossible feat. For the last 15 or so years I’ve dreamt of doing a one arm hang on a first joint edge. Now I’ve done it! It’s amazing to get a benchmark pure strength PB at 56.

Celebrating with a glass or three of red wine. Don’t judge me

Good effort on this, whilst i am not sure it translates to climbing its a good feat of strength. It is my years target to hang that edge for 5 secs. I started trying in lockdown with 12.5kg assistance and now down to 4kg on RH 6 on LH so feels possible.

Seems like every kid and his dog can do it these days, though 99% of them dont weigh the 83kg i do. I am avoiding the obvious short cut of loosing 4kg as its cheating.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7404 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2020, 02:12:08 pm
Handed in my thesis last week, ticked a lime 7B id failed on a year or so ago after putting up some new easy boulders up, and got a job offer the same day.

Thats lots of good news - ace. Well done on all accounts!

andy_e

• forum hero
#7405 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2020, 02:12:23 pm

Effort beast. What's the job?

dunnyg

• forum hero
#7406 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2020, 02:34:08 pm
Cheers! All been slowly working at for a while and came into fruition at the same time. I bought a swiss roll from pately bridge petrol station on the way home to celebrate.
Sent you a pm Andy

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#7407 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2020, 02:55:05 pm

That’s a great treble and definitely deserves a Swiss roll in Pateley.

Well done.

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#7408 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2020, 02:58:08 pm
Thanks Rob but I think you are being generous there on the left arm hang.

This time last year when I’d lost weight I was pleased to comfortably hang the top outermost slots. I was doing some campus boarding today and thought I’d check out whether I could hang the top slots and it felt piss. Did a bit more on the campus board and wondered how I’d feel on the bottom middle edge and went back upstairs and did it!

Did it again for the camera to prove to myself I wasn’t dreaming and because I regret not having filmed myself doing one armers when for a brief period I could do them. 

When I first read about Moffat doing one arm hangs on edges  BITD it seemed like an impossible feat. For the last 15 or so years I’ve dreamt of doing a one arm hang on a first joint edge. Now I’ve done it! It’s amazing to get a benchmark pure strength PB at 56.

Celebrating with a glass or three of red wine. Don’t judge me

Well done Simon. Inspiring stuff and a great thing to aim for.

andy_e

• forum hero
#7409 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2020, 02:58:52 pm
Sent you a pm Andy

Either you're ghosting me or PMs are borked again.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#7410 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2020, 03:32:39 pm
Take 2. Sent you a linkedin message instead.  Could be the PMs have taken a detour or could be user error.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#7411 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2020, 05:16:22 pm
Good effort on this, whilst i am not sure it translates to climbing its a good feat of strength.

Thanks Gav. I think it still translates for me but less so than before as finger strength doesn’t seem to be so obviously limiting factor as it used to be. 

It is my years target to hang that edge for 5 secs. I started trying in lockdown with 12.5kg assistance and now down to 4kg on RH 6 on LH so feels possible.

Seems like every kid and his dog can do it these days, though 99% of them dont weigh the 83kg i do. I am avoiding the obvious short cut of loosing 4kg as its cheating.

Good luck but losing excess baggage also worth pursuing so I hope you are not using cheating as an excuse not to trim down!
To counteract you could alter your aim to hanging 83kg by adding weight holding a dumbbell that represents the bodyweight lost.

gme

• forum hero
#7412 Re: YYFY!!!
September 16, 2020, 09:17:28 pm
Losing weight is the last thing I will do and only if I genuinely thought I was training as hard and as well as I can, and was close to something that was really hard and just needed that last piece of the jigsaw.
Don’t think I could say I have ever been in that position in my life.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#7413 Re: YYFY!!!
September 18, 2020, 09:28:40 pm
It has been almost a year of on again, off again negotiations, business case submissions, civil service cajoling and some pretty deep lows.

But, this evening, I signed my contract. I shall be rejoining HM Royal Navy as a Civilian Engineering Officer on the 28th of this month.

Finally a regular income.

Full job share, so 1:1 on a 30 day rotation, as well; so essentially I only work for six months every year.  Which will be odd for the kids, as I’ve only worked part time for the last decade. Off to do BSSC and BOEDICCA  in October, almost exactly 30 years after the last time the bastards tried to drown me...

Duma

• forum hero
#7414 Re: YYFY!!!
September 20, 2020, 08:25:52 pm
Congrats OMM, hope it works out well.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7415 Re: YYFY!!!
September 20, 2020, 08:54:32 pm
Off to do BSSC.... in October

somehow I don't think this is Bishops Stortford Swimming Club

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#7416 Re: YYFY!!!
September 20, 2020, 09:39:40 pm
Off to do BSSC.... in October

somehow I don't think this is Bishops Stortford Swimming Club

Nah. “Basic” sea survival course (the RN one isn’t exactly “basic”) and the other one (isn’t actually called that anymore, I don’t think) is the Damage control (Command and Control) in the simulators. They’re large, multi deck, ship mock-ups on hydraulic rams, that they flood and throw around, with us inside them, and of course the Fire Fighting units. They try quite hard to kill you, really.
Have to do the civilian versions every five years (I usually go to Warsash) but those are single day affairs, the RN have you do a 2 and a bit weeks of it every two years.
I’m actually planning on sending my kids to do the civi 4 day firefighting and sea survival courses, when they turn 16, because, man, what a rush! F#@k PGL or adventure centre holidays. Get your arse in a BA set and into a burning, three deck, metal box; battling and wrestling a high pressure hose.
That shit is Lit!

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#7417 Re: YYFY!!!
September 27, 2020, 06:37:35 pm
I managed to not fall off a route at the Tor  :o
Oh, and my hardest tick for 2 years or so. Not hard in the grand scheme of things, but good to do something testing for a change.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#7418 Re: YYFY!!!
September 27, 2020, 06:55:58 pm
Oh, and my hardest tick for 2 years or so. Not hard in the grand scheme of things, but good to do something testing for a change.

Well done, Andy!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#7419 Re: YYFY!!!
September 28, 2020, 10:53:02 am

Well done Andy.  You must have been happy with the day yesterday considering the Manchester City result!

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#7420 Re: YYFY!!!
September 28, 2020, 04:41:13 pm

Well done Andy.  You must have been happy with the day yesterday considering the Manchester City result!
It did round the day off nicely  ;D

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7421 Re: YYFY!!!
September 28, 2020, 09:51:13 pm
And tonight's result I think....

andy_e

• forum hero
#7422 Re: YYFY!!!
September 29, 2020, 08:48:35 am
Pfft, I manage not to fall off a route at the Tor every single day, simply by not going on them in the first place.

Good effort, which one?

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#7423 Re: YYFY!!!
September 29, 2020, 10:57:37 am
Pfft, I manage not to fall off a route at the Tor every single day, simply by not going on them in the first place.

Good effort, which one?

The one you get after a Turkey Phal

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7424 Re: YYFY!!!
October 09, 2020, 09:42:31 am
Got a good survey on a house last Friday and then the Mortgage offer through today. If the solicitor checks go through quickly then we might be Skipton Resident’s this time next month!

Psyched to move back closer to friends after a very nice, but enforced, stint in Cumbria due to Covid.

Bit of stability in one aspect of life would be nice again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal