• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#7351 Re: YYFY!!!
July 03, 2020, 05:06:39 pm

iain

• forum abuser
#7352 Re: YYFY!!!
July 03, 2020, 05:11:51 pm
Massive YYFY in that we've just completed on a house (not far from Widdop / Earl).

Brilliant  :beer2:

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#7353 Re: YYFY!!!
July 10, 2020, 11:15:53 pm
I discovered today that I can hang one-armed from a jug again. Not an impressive feat for most of you wads but I haven’t been able to do it since my shoulders atrophied a few years back so I’m well chuffed. ;D

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#7354 Re: YYFY!!!
July 21, 2020, 09:54:31 pm
Actually managed to impress my kids.

They were dithering over jumping Big Mac:

(Not us, random YouTube of it)

I was along to “supervise” (read: rescue diver), but bored with the dithering I jumped fully clothed.

My Merril sandals exploded and I bruised my left testicle (defo wetsuit next time).

Worth it for their faces.

Only my eldest son followed me (and it was almost instantly), but I’ll get ‘em all off it soon.

colin8ll

• regular
#7355 Re: YYFY!!!
July 21, 2020, 10:15:21 pm
Nice one :punk:

Paul B

• forum hero
#7356 Re: YYFY!!!
July 22, 2020, 11:47:05 am
but bored with the dithering I jumped fully clothed.

Many moons ago I convinced Nat to drive down to the DWS festival. She didn't climb but I convinced her (somehow) that she'd have a good time (party in a quarry  :dance1:) even if we did have to spend two nights sleeping in her Ford Ka (the first night we were woken up by the Police telling us they'd had reports of a flasher on the loose).

About halfway through the first day at Conner Cove she asked how hard it was to climb back up to which I replied it was easy, forgetting she didn't climb at all. The next thing I knew she strode through the various blokes who were dithering and just stepped off. I promptly followed and then realised that we both needed to get back up. Thankfully Ste Mac had fixed a line and someone had a GriGri and harness so I clipped her on and soloed up next to her. I can still remember somewhere near the top her asking "I'm scared, can I hold on to you"  :o

I think her first true DWS was traversing (read falling) into Diablo in Mallorca (some years later). She's not keen on DWS these days for some reason  :tumble:. I keep telling her that Freeborn Man and the Conger are routes she really ought to do as they're that good but she generally gets a bit sweary.

Massive YYFY in that we've just completed on a house (not far from Widdop / Earl).

Parts 2 and 3 of this:
We've just exchanged on the old property. I'm massively financially risk averse so this period has been a little stressful (where's Room 101 as my Solicitor can either get in there, or the sea for the unnecessary stress caused at times) and I'm now  :dance1:. The new house is turning out to be really great already. Touch wood, the dog hasn't vomited once.

I also finally sat my Chartered Professional Review on Monday. It's one of those things that its very easy to say the wrong thing (think H&S) in the interview (or not say something that needed saying as despite the huge written submission, it's judged on the day) and subsequently fluff it. I'd by lying if I said I haven't been putting it off for this reason. God knows what the result will be but I'm immensely glad it's done (even if I need to sit again in the future).  :dance1:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#7357 Re: YYFY!!!
July 22, 2020, 12:56:18 pm
Well done, I feel your relief.
I was incredibly lucky, in March.
I was expecting to have to sit a  renewal oral for my Certificate of Competence, which is an utter bitch. Much like a Commercial Pilot, there is certification that must be renewed everyfive years (Fire Fighting, Sea Survival, Survival Craft and Rescue boat operation and Medical Care), but if you’ve not put in the required time at sea, you cannot renew without the full f’ing oral. The MCA examiners are evil and it’s one on one with no appeal.
I spent thousands and months studying and doing courses in Southampton and Glasgow to get up to speed on new developments and (massively) regulations, the actual engineering not being an issue, because the MCA review of my last seven years (since CoC lapsed) said I had to.
In the end, after finishing the last course, when I applied, they renewed it with examination!
(Probably because I’d attended the courses).
Bullet dodged.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#7358 Re: YYFY!!!
July 29, 2020, 01:50:31 pm
I've just been informed that I won a scholarship for the master I completed this past February.
Bring on that new leather jacket.
 :punk:
 :dance1:
 :smartass:

andy popp

• forum hero
#7359 Re: YYFY!!!
July 29, 2020, 02:07:45 pm
Many congrats Lore, that's a real YYFY!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#7360 Re: YYFY!!!
July 29, 2020, 02:33:14 pm
Many congrats Lore, that's a real YYFY!
You mean the jacket, innit?
 ;D

andy popp

• forum hero
#7361 Re: YYFY!!!
July 29, 2020, 03:09:08 pm
Of course!

nik at work

• forum hero
#7362 Re: YYFY!!!
July 29, 2020, 03:15:22 pm
Nice wrk Lore  :dance1: :dance1:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#7363 Re: YYFY!!!
July 29, 2020, 07:02:02 pm
Cheers!

tomtom

• forum hero
#7364 Re: YYFY!!!
July 29, 2020, 07:27:40 pm
Great news Lore.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7365 Re: YYFY!!!
August 03, 2020, 10:19:44 am
I also finally sat my Chartered Professional Review on Monday. It's one of those things that its very easy to say the wrong thing (think H&S) in the interview (or not say something that needed saying as despite the huge written submission, it's judged on the day) and subsequently fluff it. I'd by lying if I said I haven't been putting it off for this reason. God knows what the result will be but I'm immensely glad it's done (even if I need to sit again in the future).  :dance1:

Well, what usually takes 3-6 months for an answer only took 2 weeks and I managed to pass. I had to get Nat to read the email ( :sick: ) as it's the usual:

"Dear Sir, please see the attached letter..."

Anyhow: :dance1:

Sorry about monopolising this thread of late.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7366 Re: YYFY!!!
August 03, 2020, 10:25:15 am
Excellent Paul!

nik at work

• forum hero
#7367 Re: YYFY!!!
August 03, 2020, 10:28:41 am
I am sat in my lounge with my kids...

... for the first time in almost 5 months.

(I’m glossing over the fact that they are both engrossed in screens and largely ignoring me.... :lol: :lol:)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#7368 Re: YYFY!!!
August 03, 2020, 11:54:53 am
Well done!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#7369 Re: YYFY!!!
August 05, 2020, 09:10:34 am
 :2thumbsup:

Motown

• regular
#7370 Re: YYFY!!!
August 05, 2020, 10:03:42 am

I was along to “supervise” (read: rescue diver), but bored with the dithering I jumped fully clothed.

My Merril sandals exploded and I bruised my left testicle (defo wetsuit next time).

Only my eldest son followed me (and it was almost instantly), but I’ll get ‘em all off it soon.

Granddaddy Mac next - running down approach path for maximum clearance  :no: :no:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#7371 Re: YYFY!!!
August 05, 2020, 02:55:44 pm

Granddaddy Mac next - running down approach path for maximum clearance  :no: :no:

I looked at it.

Apparently, a certain amount of wisdom creeps into your subconscious with age, despite your best efforts.

That’s the excuse I’m sticking with, anyway...

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#7372 Re: YYFY!!!
August 21, 2020, 10:12:46 am
Small boast (and warm-up territory to some folk) managed my first 7A last night in maybe 20 years - Ramp Eliminate, Helsby. Crimpy, balancy slopers on a leaning wall. We'll not mention the beached whale finish. No downgrades please.

Pretty much stopped climbing when my youngest was born (now 18) and did more cycling and running. Bumbling around again for 5 or 6 years, really enjoy a long half day on obscure r-man or Peak moorland, lots of mileage on 4s and 5s, with low 6s in a few goes. Guess I'm going to have to start trying harder ;D

tomtom

• forum hero
#7373 Re: YYFY!!!
August 21, 2020, 12:30:07 pm
Well done Steve. The non eliminate is tricky enough!

slab_happy

• forum hero
#7374 Re: YYFY!!!
August 21, 2020, 03:43:47 pm
Finally FINALLY back in the Peak District and getting to climb again, after getting stuck in London during lockdown and essentially spending four months shut in a very small building on my own.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal