#6925 Re: YYFY!!!
August 09, 2018, 03:25:12 pm
How come you kept on falling off the easy bit?  ;D

measles23

• stalker
#6926 Re: YYFY!!!
August 10, 2018, 06:16:41 am
Next time you might listen when I try to save you 2 years of your life :shrug:

Very well done dude now you can finally allow yourself to get on some hard stuff...  ffs you were close to flashing the crux, you and your “weak” shoulders :wank:

Kingy

• forum hero
#6927 Re: YYFY!!!
August 10, 2018, 09:07:57 am
 :clap2: Nice one Murph, that's a tricky start! glad to hear you got it bagged

Murph

• forum abuser
#6928 Re: YYFY!!!
August 10, 2018, 09:59:03 am
Thanks Ted - your vid of it last year helped keep the psyche fuelled!

Matt - that flash attempt was on what turned out to be the greatest day of my climbing life. Swing time in two goes and Man of Steel in four including a static (and unrepeated!) flash of the top move. I swear if I had had the AT numbers on that day I would have done it.  :boohoo:

I’ll get back in shape now (fingers still way down - hence why even the crux was a problem) and join you on something that’s actually hard soon! :thumbsup:

Teestub - I am a full weight punter, that’s why!!! 😄

Anyone know if there’s footage of Mike’s Problem, just to the right of AT?

tomtom

• forum hero
#6929 Re: YYFY!!!
August 10, 2018, 01:38:47 pm
Nice one Murph!

Yossarian

• forum hero
#6930 Re: YYFY!!!
August 11, 2018, 10:38:18 am
Bravo! Quite syked by this video. I know nothing about this venue other than the info on UKC. Is there anything that an optimistic southern punter should aim at in the 6C-7A range? And which guidebook, etc? Might be passing by in a couple of weeks time.

Murph

• forum abuser
#6931 Re: YYFY!!!
August 11, 2018, 05:57:46 pm
Hi Yossarian, glad you liked.

There’s very little at beginners wall at that grade. There’s a 7A called Short Problem or something else (also put a vid of that on Vimeo) but it really isn’t 7A or and good. Though there are a couple of other 7As at beginners ive never tried them despite having been there dozens of times. Nothing worth doing below that. Swing Time 7A+ and Man of Steel 7B are really good problems though and soft I reckon so might be worth trying.

Over the road at Griffs there are a few things below 6C but they aren’t quality. Everything else there is 7B and upwards.

Up the road at Sean’s Roof area there’s nothing below 7A+ that’s worth doing. There’s the odd stand finish to what is really a sit start problem (eg Red or Dead) but the easiest decent problem, going by grade, is Jerrys Traverse which I reckon is brick hard and I couldn’t work out that time I tried.

You’re not far from Raven Tor though and there’s loads in that range and lots of it good. The warm ups on Pinches Wall are tough as nails after 6B, though there are quite a few 7As some more doable and worthwhile than others. Wild in Me Start is overgraded at 6C and not great, but Too Hard For Mark Leach at the same grade is good fun. Bashers Problem 7A is good fun as is Saline Drip (easier for the tall) and you really ought to do the sit when you tick the stand. Watch a video first though cos it’s not in any guidebook. Little Extra Direct Start is a gift at 7A so you should get that while you are there.

I’d i was in the area though at that grade I would go to Rubicon. There’s loads of good problems in the mid 6s range around the three tiers, Miller’s Tale stand is as classic as lime 6B can get and the sit is worthwhile. A Bigger Tail gets 7A I think and is as good as any problem anywhere. Two mats and/or a spot for that one tho. It’s high but the last hold is a jug.

The best guidebook is the one by Ru and co, cos it’s got the Pinches and Minus 10 problems, but it doesn’t have Griffs or Conies (not that we need that any more).

Hope this is of some use. Enjoy.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6932 Re: YYFY!!!
August 11, 2018, 06:06:18 pm
Had a play on advanced training today Murph - inspired by your film :)

Managed to get up to where the high right foot (about 3 moves?) then ran out of ideas - felt hard to press off the LH and move up with the RH..

Also completely forgot and couldn’t work out how to sort out my hands on on swing time or MOS. you know the hold you mess about on with the left heel just after the start - Just couldn’t get a sweet/right spot on the hold

Bradders

• forum hero
#6933 Re: YYFY!!!
August 11, 2018, 06:27:11 pm
Get in Murph, really inspiring  :bow:

Murph

• forum abuser
#6934 Re: YYFY!!!
August 11, 2018, 07:07:06 pm
Thanks Bradders!

Tom - glad to hear it’s inspired man. That next move is the crux. I think the way I do it is easier than any of the other ways I’ve hear (and there some really weird ways it used to be done when it was 8A). Just give it hell and practice the top. Lots. 

Good luck!

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#6935 Re: YYFY!!!
August 12, 2018, 09:03:50 am
Advanced Training. Finally.  :dance1:

I fell off the last move 6 times or so back in 2016. Didn't get on it at all last year not that I didn't want to. This year's attempts were barely getting off the ground until Si showed me the secret foot beta that Matt had already shown me back in the day :oops:

I know its only a bit of rock but fuck me I felt quite emotional at the end. Cool problem I reckon. Should get more attention.

Actual send is at 1:40. Apols for the potty language.

Nice one. Good effort sticking at it.  Move on to the next or retire happy.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#6936 Re: YYFY!!!
August 12, 2018, 02:19:29 pm
Hope this is of some use. Enjoy.

Wow - that’s brilliant! Thanks

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#6937 Re: YYFY!!!
August 13, 2018, 10:49:41 pm
So stoked - knocked out a new 8b/+ route FA.  My big goal this year was to put up 5 new 8th grade routes here in Alaska, and I've now done three -  an 8b, 8a, and 8b/+.  Two to go and currently 5 potential projects.  One should go pretty quickly(8a/+ish), but the others are all pretty desperate with two in the 8b+/8c range, and two in the 8c+/9a range.

36chambers

• forum hero
#6938 Re: YYFY!!!
August 13, 2018, 10:53:58 pm
So stoked - knocked out a new 8b/+ route FA.  My big goal this year was to put up 5 new 8th grade routes here in Alaska, and I've now done three -  an 8b, 8a, and 8b/+.  Two to go and currently 5 potential projects.  One should go pretty quickly(8a/+ish), but the others are all pretty desperate with two in the 8b+/8c range, and two in the 8c+/9a range.

Good work :dance1: :dance1: :dance1:

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6939 Re: YYFY!!!
August 16, 2018, 02:48:57 am
I went climbing! After more than three months off it was well overdue.

Naga (Dragon), generously given 6b+, 8 pitches, is a recent addition to the south Dragon’s Horn on Tioman Island. You get 250m of off-vertical face climbing on solid, knobbly, and mostly clean granite. Exceptions were the first and last pitches which were more in keeping with the jungle setting. It would be a five star classic 5.10 with queues if it was at Red Rocks.

Wouldn’t want to do the two hour (taken slowly) trek to the base of the routes too often. Loved the jungle flora,  fauna and ambience.

Would have liked to do the Petit route Damai Sentosa, but run-out 6c+ (good E4 according to the very able  Patrick Hill) with no mountain rescue felt a bit of an ask.

I’ll do a Tioman Dragon’s Horns rough guide at some point.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#6940 Re: YYFY!!!
August 16, 2018, 07:30:35 am
I went climbing! After more than three months off it was well overdue.

Naga (Dragon), generously given 6b+, 8 pitches, is a recent addition to the south Dragon’s Horn on Tioman Island. You get 250m of off-vertical face climbing on solid, knobbly, and mostly clean granite. Exceptions were the first and last pitches which were more in keeping with the jungle setting. It would be a five star classic 5.10 with queues if it was at Red Rocks.

Wouldn’t want to do the two hour (taken slowly) trek to the base of the routes too often. Loved the jungle flora,  fauna and ambience.

Would have liked to do the Petit route Damai Sentosa, but run-out 6c+ (good E4 according to the very able  Patrick Hill) with no mountain rescue felt a bit of an ask.

I’ll do a Tioman Dragon’s Horns rough guide at some point.

I really wanted to climb here after the Hill brothers infected the psyche and sent details when I said we'd be travelling nearby. Glad it's as good as it sounds. What a way to return to climbing, Duncan.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6941 Re: YYFY!!!
August 16, 2018, 08:32:24 am
Psyched for you duncan, glad you got something cool done :)

James Malloch

• forum hero
#6942 Re: YYFY!!!
August 16, 2018, 09:42:27 am
After injuring my knee about 3 years ago I've taken my Physio my seriously this year. I managed to complete my longest run since injuring it on Tuesday.

Nothing amazing at 4.5 miles @ 8m 30s per mile pace, which is at least a minute or so off my old pace, but I'm well chuffed right now!

Also managed a 21:39 Park Run last week which really surprised me given the lack of cardio exercise I've done.

Now I need to think about how I can balance my desire to do more with not overdoing it as I've still got some niggles going on. Would be amazing to get back up to my old fitness level!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6943 Re: YYFY!!!
August 16, 2018, 10:34:00 am
Good work. Build up slowly, keep up the strengthening exercises and concentrate on good technique. I'd recommend getting running analysis done, to see if you are doing anything wrong which may have caused it in the first place.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6944 Re: YYFY!!!
August 18, 2018, 04:51:31 am
What a way to return to climbing, Duncan.

Thanks both. Shoulder is still 30 degrees short of full range and a little painful, so out of the jungle but not out of the woods. Easy Trad.TM like this is my best physical and mental rehab. Need to do more.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6945 Re: YYFY!!!
August 22, 2018, 06:44:08 pm
Finally got Griffs into Bovine done today :)

& Nearly dropped the last move.... sometimes they're the best ones #skinofmyteeth

Thanks for help/encouragement/beta from those at Griffs over the past few weeks..

andy popp

• forum hero
#6946 Re: YYFY!!!
August 22, 2018, 06:50:11 pm
Nice one Tom!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6947 Re: YYFY!!!
August 22, 2018, 07:04:19 pm
Seriously Tom, you’re pissing me right off now.
You seem to improve on a weekly basis, whilst I slide into “Trad Dad”...

Congratulations, you utter, utter Bar-steward. 😜 :punk:

tomtom

• forum hero
#6948 Re: YYFY!!!
August 22, 2018, 07:22:05 pm
Glacial progress..... with the odd retreat :)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6949 Re: YYFY!!!
August 22, 2018, 07:31:49 pm
Glacial progress..... with the odd retreat :)

Oh yeah.
Just like the Quarternary...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal