UKBouldering.com

For Fugazi Fans (Read 2996 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
For Fugazi Fans
October 11, 2007, 10:20:59 pm
"Keep Your Eyes Open - the FUGAZI photographs of glen E. friedman will be the next Burning Flags Press release.
September 3rd, 2007, twenty years to the day of the 1st live Fugazi show ever, this new book will be available in stores."

From - http://www.burningflags.com/main.php

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: For Fugazi Fans
October 15, 2007, 10:05:45 am
Fugazi may not make music as arresting as they did in their Steady Diet of Nothing or In On The Killtaker days, but they still command respect.

I always liked their cover and innersleeve art.  Glenn's a wad.

Fugazi on SNUB TV from 1988.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#2 Re: For Fugazi Fans
October 15, 2007, 01:56:57 pm
Good call Monolith. I liked Ian Svenonius's write up, mostly because I don't think Fugazi has ever garnered the level of respect they so clearly deserve. Mainstream music media has effectively ignored this band (not to mention the preceding wonders of Minor Threat and Rites of Spring). They were without question one of the greatest live bands ever. I saw them quite a few times back in the late 80s/early 90s and every time they were incredible. True heroes, hugely influential and enormously inspiring.

Saw Ian Svenonius's first band Nation of Ulysses too - they were fantastic. He set his shoes on fire at one point - as far as I'm concerned that's exactly the sort of thing a band should be doing on stage. ;D

Monolith

• forum hero
#3 Re: For Fugazi Fans
October 15, 2007, 02:36:38 pm
I'm sure you're already aware of it Simon, but just in case not,

http://www.dischord.com/store/?label=37

Joe Lally has a site vending many more live shows also if I remember rightly. I threw away my only ever chance to show them in Leeds 2002 in favour of an idiot from my hall of residence's birthday. What was I thinking!!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#4 Re: For Fugazi Fans
October 15, 2007, 08:15:12 pm
Yes Pant's yes!  NOU were a wicked band, their 12 Point Plan to Destroy America LP was the shit.  Really liked the way almost all his words were screamed.  And the Brylcreme!

Pantontino

• forum hero
#5 Re: For Fugazi Fans
October 16, 2007, 09:57:05 am
Houdini, I was blown away by the utter conviction with which they (NOU) delivered the show. There wasn't an ounce of doubt in their hearts, just pure righteous passion. James Brown meets underground American hardcore - a perfect mix!

Monolith

• forum hero
#6 Re: For Fugazi Fans
October 16, 2007, 09:58:56 am
Have either of you got or seen the Dischord box set. A nice package for the booklet if nothing else.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#7 Re: For Fugazi Fans
October 16, 2007, 10:47:06 am
I've got it. An essential historical document; great photos 'n'all.

I love the front and back cover pics on the book where you see the Dischord office looking almost identical after 20 years. (bottom image above) I've tried to style my office on that level of chaos.

Monolith

• forum hero
#8 Re: For Fugazi Fans
October 16, 2007, 12:18:29 pm
That office is awesome! You're doing well styling yours on it, you just have to make sure you don't change the same phone over the course of the next 20 years.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal