UKBouldering.com

Future wad on the scene... (Read 112081 times)

pjkp

#225 Re: Future wad on the scene...
May 12, 2012, 09:25:06 pm
Hi, Katy was 11 and Pete was 9 in the home movie bit of Grit Kids. We all went to the Dolomites on a family 3 week holiday to via ferrata. It was such a great holiday that we all went again 2 years later. Brilliant ;)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#226 Re: Future wad on the scene...
May 12, 2012, 11:18:49 pm
what Drew said - kids tied on to ropes at the wall are far more acceptable than ones running around making landings less comfortable for the rest of us

as far as staff being worried - I guess it's because unless you know the child well, how sure can you be that they understand how important it is to clip each bolt and, if they don't clip, how can the supervising parent make them do so before heading up into The Death Zone (or whatever it is called when string abusers get to a point where the string might not stop them from hitting the floor)

how are they at jumping off onto the rope or knowing when to stop and hang? if they can demonstrate a good dogging technique then the staff should have little to worry about

my oldest child was at her boldest and natural technical best (instinctive?) when she was between 5 and 7 - if we'd not had other outdoor stuff to do, she'd have been leading indoors

I know of separated fathers whose exes have used the danger card against them in disputed access cases - bouldering outside - but as far as I know the relevant child monitoring authorities have not taken this as being anything close to child abuse

I've been pulled for climbing as 2 adults and a child because the 2 "grown ups" (me and Picalli - grown ups? my arse) could not provide appropriate supervision for the 6 year old when they were failing on roped climbs with one belaying the other

overall, in the modern heath-and-safety-PC-gone-mad world, I think it's pretty brave of a wall to let anyone under 9 climb on the lead

if we had shed loads of decent limestone bolted rock and reliable weather we could do this stuff outside and be accountable for our own well informed parenting risks

i can't believe a dog just won Britain's Got Talent - the kids will be happy

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#227 Re: Future wad on the scene...
May 13, 2012, 10:42:52 am
What lagers said as long as they understand not to climb past a clip, know how to fall and understand the perils of back clipping I fail to see how any harm can come.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#228 Re: Future wad on the scene...
May 27, 2012, 08:21:36 pm
The Noodle (3 and a half) takes on Pisa Wall...

:)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#229 Future wad on the scene...
May 27, 2012, 08:54:39 pm
😄

They are funny at that age...

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#230 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 02, 2012, 07:23:18 am
Leadings been where it at for the last couple  of weeks, although belays are a bit of an issue as the screwgates are too stiff to clip. I've been leaving a draw at the top of most stuff which solves it, but its definately getting on my tits.

For the last 2 days Leif's started falling off. A lot.  Now he knows he can stop and let go at any point, he'll get on anything, as it can always end in a winger, which is fun, right?!?
He's just over 2 stone, so getting used to dynamic belays was a concern, but not to him, apparently.

This is Leif leading on the main wall at Leeds, clipping the last draw, climbing above it and letting go.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#231 Future wad on the scene...
June 02, 2012, 07:49:37 am
Dude!
That's rapid improvement...
Clips are quick too.
My girl and nephew are struggling with the clips, just on hand size (we've eliminated the back clip already). They always end up two handing the draw.
Any chance of a close up of the clipping technique?
Screwgates are a major ball ache. Generally much larger and stiffer.
Also...
There's always two and the staff get antsy if they don't clip both. Yet, if you lowered off one clip down, on a snapgate, no-one would bat an eyelid...?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#232 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 02, 2012, 11:29:37 am
Small hands just cannot stabilise the draw easily, but this method seems to work ok, and no little fingers in krabs.

Method.

1.When ready to clip, look at the draw. Which way does the gate face?
2. Turn clipping hand so thumb faces same way as gate.
3. Reach down, put hand under rope and lift up to draws gate.
4. Turn thumb towards back of hand(outwards) this presses rope against gate and the weight of the rope does the rest.

We practised at home, firstly just by dicking about manipulating a Krab for a night or two, then clipping a draw(hung off pullup bar) for another evening. Then down the wall on a pure topper with a leading tail(about 4 metres of chopped off old rope)

Apologies for shaky footage ( I hadn't had a drink yet).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#233 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 14, 2012, 09:19:16 am
So what is a good age to introduce kids to the indoor wall? Kyle is 2 1/2 and currently trying to climb everything, from the garden fence to on top of the toilet (with lid closed, quite a tricky mantel) to boulders on the beach to trees to daddy. I can borrow a harness (anyone got a second hand one to sell?) and think he would be OK on the way up, but not sure he would grasp the concept of being lowered off, especially as on the beginners wall at the local wall you can top out onto a big ledge on top of the wall. Any tips on how to approach this?

andy_e

• forum hero
#234 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 14, 2012, 09:32:45 am
Get him to Muchalls Cave, there's some low low starts to be done which he could fit into!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#235 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 14, 2012, 09:44:04 am
not sure he would grasp the concept of being lowered off, especially as on the beginners wall at the local wall you can top out onto a big ledge on top of the wall. Any tips on how to approach this?

a back rope to stop him going higher than you want him to and lots of practice letting go low down?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#236 Future wad on the scene...
June 14, 2012, 09:47:55 am
So what is a good age to introduce kids to the indoor wall? Kyle is 2 1/2 and currently trying to climb everything, from the garden fence to on top of the toilet (with lid closed, quite a tricky mantel) to boulders on the beach to trees to daddy. I can borrow a harness (anyone got a second hand one to sell?) and think he would be OK on the way up, but not sure he would grasp the concept of being lowered off, especially as on the beginners wall at the local wall you can top out onto a big ledge on top of the wall. Any tips on how to approach this?

Find my youngest (3), climbs higher bouldering than he does on a string. In fact, he just climbs high enough to jump off and swing; before being lowered off.
I started him off, on the rope, by hanging my Beanie on a hold and challenging him to get it and making the "swing" fun so he got used to hanging in the harness.
Also, I lift both the kids by the belay loop and carry/swing them around between climbs, again so they develop confidence in the kit (and gives me a serious workout...).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#237 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 14, 2012, 10:00:12 am
Get him to Muchalls Cave, there's some low low starts to be done which he could fit into!

I think he would like it down there, but think he would spend most of the time playing in that manky green rock pool. Might go down with Amanda's dogs again, last time we were there they drank half of it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#238 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 14, 2012, 10:01:08 am
a back rope to stop him going higher than you want him to and lots of practice letting go low down?

This is a good plan! And thanks for the other help too Matt.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#239 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 19, 2012, 08:05:11 pm
Cerys Eilidh arrived Monday morning very quickly and 8 days early. My beautiful daughter and her amazing mum are both doing well. Guess the impatience gene comes from mother's side

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#240 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 19, 2012, 08:33:13 pm

Congrats Chris :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#241 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 19, 2012, 08:43:43 pm
Cheers. Spare a thought for Rowena. She went on maternity leave last Tuesday lunchtime and Kyle was sent home from nursery with chickenpox the same day so she had 3 days at home with him then we had a frantic weekend doing last minute DIY for home report on Monday then it all kicked off early Monday morning.

andy popp

• forum hero
#242 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 19, 2012, 08:44:11 pm
Nice one Chris!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#243 Future wad on the scene...
June 19, 2012, 08:59:40 pm
Excellent! Best wishes to all.

Though...

I don't suppose you could enlighten me as to how to pronounce that name, could you?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#244 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 19, 2012, 09:23:58 pm
Which one? Eilidh is probably best as Ay-leigh phonetically but with the  light Gaelic burr on the l

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#245 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 19, 2012, 09:38:28 pm
like Hayley, in Yarkshar.

rich d

• forum hero
#246 Re: Future wad on the scene...
June 19, 2012, 09:57:41 pm
Congrats Chris.

tomtom

• forum hero