UKBouldering.com

Peak bouldering in november? (Read 24583 times)

Christobal

• regular
Peak bouldering in november?
September 25, 2007, 12:03:32 pm
Hi there
I'm flying from Stockholm to London for a weekend in early November. Since i have never tried gritclimbing I'm thinking about renting a car and head up to the Sheffield area for some bouldering.
My question is:how is the weather normally in November? Is it as rainy as it sounds or does one get a fair shot at some classic problems?

Thanks in advance/ Christer

dave

#1 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
September 25, 2007, 12:10:55 pm
the only sure thing about the weather is it could do anything. can be good in november, or could be shit. if you've only got a weekend its a real gamble. metchek long-term trend analysis says this:

24 Oct 13 Nov This period is known as the 'Autumn Rains or Continental Trains' as the period starts wet and windy with gales from 26th-29th however high pressure sometimes builds from the East on the 30th. 100% 

14 Nov 24 Nov A traditionally settled period as high pressure settles over the UK bringing quiet, foggy weather to the UK. 65% 

25 Nov 10 Dec A wet and windy period of the year usually as cyclonic systems move in from the Atlantic, the two most stormy periods are 25th - 29th November and 6th - 12th December. 98% 

http://metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/singularities.asp

BenF

• forum hero
#2 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
September 25, 2007, 12:39:56 pm
the only sure thing about the weather is it could do anything.

Dave's on the money there and this year has been particularly random with awful conditions often followed by perfect conditions the next day.  I would expect it to be wet and then you may be pleasantly surprised by wonderful conditions.  However, there's a high chance it'll be warm and damp. 

For what's it's worth, Metcheck are seriously pessimistic when it comes to forecasting in my experience.  If you want a sunny forecast, go check out the BBC website.

dave

#3 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
September 25, 2007, 12:54:22 pm
but if you want a realistic forecast go with metcheck! most of the time its like getting a forecast from <insert name of religious deity here>.

cofe

• forum hero
#4 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
September 25, 2007, 01:06:17 pm
most of the time its like getting a forecast from <COFE>.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#5 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
September 25, 2007, 05:51:37 pm
14 Nov 24 Nov A traditionally settled period as high pressure settles over the UK bringing quiet, foggy weather to the UK. 65% 

...and when it happens usually gives the best conditions of the autumn - cold and clear though can be a bit foggy especially in font. Don't expect ten days, usually lasts for four or five around this time, in my experience usually during the first quarter of the lunar month.

Christobal

• regular
#6 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
September 30, 2007, 07:35:21 pm
It seems that i wont be able to find the the time for any bouldering during my November trip.
I'm thinkin about going for a week this spring instead. Initially the plan was to go to font again but i thought i might try something different. So what do you think: Is peak-bouldering a serious alternative to font? And what about north Wales? Should one include a trip there?
By the way, the problems i prefer are 6 meters high, just under vertical with sharp crimps and/or almost non existant slopers.

Thank you for tolerating my ranting
Christer

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#7 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
September 30, 2007, 07:49:30 pm
Fuckin' hell - your not fussy are you?  Only joking!  Again, it is a gamble, but really, I have had more consistent weather in Wales in April for the last four years than font has ever provided.  There is some good high balls in wales, and crimp wise - very tasty.  Drop me aline if you make it over.  CJD.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 01, 2007, 10:14:59 am
Is peak-bouldering a serious alternative to font? And what about north Wales? Should one include a trip there?

Yeah peak bouldering is a serious alternative to font. Obviously not as much as font, but plenty to go at. I wouldn't consider Wales worth travelling to for bouldering, there are more sharp crimps there though.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#9 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 01, 2007, 11:02:43 am

By the way, the problems i prefer are 6 meters high, just under vertical with sharp crimps and/or almost non existant slopers.

"Let me just check........Margaret! Margaret! Have we got any 6 metre high boulder problems just under vertical with sharp crimps and/or non existent slopers?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/littlebritain/characters/mann.shtml

:)

dave

#10 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 01, 2007, 11:06:46 am
Maybe Christobal would also like to buy a birthday card for a man...aged 60...5...who hates dogs, and cats, and cartoon frogs, but does like single-cell organisms like amoebas and the C-word and who's name is Michael Phillipedes.

Christobal

• regular
#11 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 01, 2007, 04:46:12 pm
 ???

a dense loner

• forum hero
#12 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 01, 2007, 07:04:45 pm
dave goes off on tangents sometimes christobel

Dr T

• forum hero
#13 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 01, 2007, 09:05:00 pm
tangentually it's half term end of the month so I'll be up for a few days... yay....  :thumbsup:

Christobal

• regular
#14 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 07, 2007, 11:30:10 am
So, it seems that i will come over from Sweden with a couple of friends the first week in march. However i have another question concerning the logistics. What would, in your opinion be the best choice when it comes to setting up our basecamp?
Manchester (where we will land), Sheffield or some small place called Chesterfield that supposedly is situated very close to the climbing.
Our first priorites areawise are : Stanage, Burbage N+S and The Roaches.
Thanks again for the help.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#15 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 07, 2007, 04:28:00 pm
sheffield, 10 mins away. manchester, at least an hour. chesterfield, wouldn't let my dog stay there.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 07, 2007, 06:53:58 pm
I'd look for somewhere in Hathersage, Grindleford, Calver or Bakewell. All these are villages within the national park that are close to the climbing and are used to climbers/ walkers.
Without knowing Sheffield you could end up on the wrong side and have mucho hassle getting to the crags.
You'll need a hire car. Roaches is a way from the other areas.

Christobal

• regular
#17 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 07, 2007, 09:38:58 pm
A factor that needs to be taken into account are the availability for restday partying. Can you do that in a place called Bakewell even though they obviously make great bread?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#18 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 08, 2007, 06:17:26 am
I can tell you a thing or 2 about bread, but bakewell is famous for its tarts. plenty of good pubs round here but if you want to party you'll have to go to paris.
If you let Johnny Brown know where your gonna be and when, he'll be over in a flash to show you all the beta after he's done the show pony circuit

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#19 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 08, 2007, 07:18:25 pm

Thank you for tolerating my ranting
Christer

Sounds like you need a trip to Pex Hill, that would tick all those boxes.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#20 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 08, 2007, 09:23:04 pm
I don't think having the car robbed, being mugged and falling onto rusty syringe's and getting HIV was on the agenda

Christobal

• regular
#21 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 08, 2007, 09:24:27 pm
Jim
Aha, tarts :lol:, it took me a couple of hours to catch on. I'll just blame my lousy English.

Andy F
OK, and how do you find Pex Hill?

Christobal

• regular
#22 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 08, 2007, 09:25:49 pm
Oops, I think i missed Jims latest post.
HIV, syringes.... Sounds a bit...scary... :'(

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#23 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 08, 2007, 09:28:08 pm
welcome to merseyside.

ps don't go to pex. go to the peak its 30000 times better

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#24 Re: Peak bouldering in november?
October 08, 2007, 09:31:51 pm
Ordinarily I'd have to pull Jim up on that gross distortion of reality, but after having seen the sty the place was in yesterday, I'm leaning towards the stereotype.

If you're visiting as a one off from Sweden, really DON'T go to Pex Hill. It's for locals and the uber strong ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal