UKBouldering.com

Climbnewcastle to open this month (Read 4858 times)

Darren S

• addict
    • www.climbnewcastle.com
Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 12:12:35 pm
We will be opening our doors for business on the 23rd of October.

Construction is going very well with Longy building some awesome boards for us.

Check out the website for more details and pics

www.climbnewcastle.com

Darren

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 12:50:46 pm
Looks really good, BUT I'm still very dubious of the recent trend of using scaffolding to make these structures.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 12:54:21 pm
Why's that Paul? I realise scaffolding isn't designed for permanent structures but is there a more scientific reason (that I probably wont understand)?

dave

#3 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 12:55:49 pm
paul prefers some 2x2s tied to a beam by a shoelace.

looks good but can it better the berghaus wall?

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 01:16:35 pm
I f*cking don't, but if it'll support Seb's massive frame then it might JUST carry my meagre weight. That board terrifies me, walking along the top beam of the 15 to get the rings down is lethal, then the roof has massive screws through it and you can't see them because all of the dusts (which contains the spare bulbs).

account_inactive

• forum hero
#5 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 01:19:50 pm
What's your beef with scaffold Paul?

Was looks good btw

rodma

• forum hero
#6 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 01:20:56 pm
Are you gonna have an opening do Darren?

Stubbs

#7 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 01:25:20 pm
Looks good - is there a car park and will there be armed guards to protect the cars?!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#8 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 04:24:57 pm
Will Ant and Dec be opening the new wall in Byker?

I couldn't stop myself, sorry

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#9 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 05:26:13 pm
re. Ant 'n' Dec...

TELLY duo Ant and Dec had to dive for cover as they came under  attack in the War Zone.

The shocked I'm A Celebrity hosts were waiting to catch a  flight at NATO's  airfield when the rocket attack started.

A rocket exploded less than 400 metres from them and they had to lie on the ground fearing for their lives for 15 minutes before the all-clear sounded.
"One minute everything was calm and the next the sirens were wailing and we were being ordered to get down.
"Everyone around us hit the deck and we realised the base was being attacked.
"We were down there for about 15 minutes until they sounded the all-clear. Your mind races in situations like that."
Soldiers endure similar attacks almost daily.
But Ant and Dec, who were in the war zone to present a Pride of Britain award to the troops, were stunned by their first taste of frontline action.
Ant, 32, added: "It was pretty hairy and definitely not something I'd like to experience again.
"All the guys around us were pulling on their body armour and helmets and we just got on with it and hoped for the best.
"When it was all over, we were shown where the rocket had landed and we couldn't believe how close we were to being hit.
"It shows what our troops are going through every day out here."
Footage of the duo's mission will be shown on ITV on Wednesday.

Sounds like its already open.

philo

• forum hero
#10 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 05:40:45 pm
Looks good - is there a car park and will there be armed guards to protect the cars?!

the local pit team will do everyones wheels on the first day i bet!
darren will there be a party then? or did i get me fancy dress outfit for nothing!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#11 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 07:32:07 pm
Looks really good, BUT I'm still very dubious of the recent trend of using scaffolding to make these structures.
Fear not, Paul. We use scaffolding to build walls because it is very flexible in the shapes you can create, insanely strong for the purpose, and can easily have engineers calculations done for it. In fact, its probably the best stuff for hanging bouldering walls off, provided its put up by people who know what they are doing. I like scaf :thumbsup:

Darren S

• addict
    • www.climbnewcastle.com
#12 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 08:37:07 pm
As Percy has said "Scaff is good", better than wood, much more reliable.

On the party front, nothing planned as yet, having a soft opening then we can plan a proper party maybe get the boys at Slide to help organise it  ;) ;)

Philo: we will not mind if you wear the party frock for normal bouldering.

And yes we have parking and it is pretty safe, I have been parking there for over a year now with no hassle from local youth and my car is reasonably nice/nickable. No need for armed gaurds as we share the car park with a proper gym set up e.g. very big blokes as well as MMA, Boxing and Muay Thai all on site, so no one is gonna dare mess with the cars.
But the metro is only 150yds away so get on it and get down to Byker.

Paul B

• forum hero
#13 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 09:45:33 pm
Fear not, Paul. We use scaffolding to build walls because it is very flexible in the shapes you can create, insanely strong for the purpose, and can easily have engineers calculations done for it. In fact, its probably the best stuff for hanging bouldering walls off, provided its put up by people who know what they are doing. I like scaf :thumbsup:

Do these calcs get done?

philo

• forum hero
#14 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 10:38:27 pm

Do these calcs get done?

have any climbing walls built from scaff fell down?

Kingy

• forum hero
#15 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 10:44:24 pm

Do these calcs get done?

have any climbing walls built from scaff fell down?

Not yet

Paul B

• forum hero
#16 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 10:45:40 pm
Sorry the above seems a little accusatory, i'll add a little as this isn't meant to be taking a stab its just some questions that arise in my head. I'm well aware that you've built numerous structures, none of which have crushed anyone:

Firstly do these calcs ever get done or is it just a (static) load test or do you get the structure signed off by an engineer? Usually in construction design calcs are undertaken before the structure is built not afterwards, that way they're built to the relevant codes and will take every conceivable thing that you can throw at them.
In assessing these structures if its done how does anyone assess the interface between wood and scaff' in these situations, it seems common place to build a box around the pole and then add the board to that but it hardly creates a composite beam and it seems you are unlikely to get a full transfer of bending resistance from one to the other.

One thing I saw (I don't know who built it) was an arch made from poles (funnily enough at the Arch Climbing Wall). The poles weren't joined end to end but placed next to each other, this is a reasonably complex structure given the fact that you have eccentricity's all over the shop not to mention joints, theres not a chance in hell it acts anything like a normal arch, who assesses that? It's not a simple calculation thats for sure.

And lastly, how do you cover your asses in the event of a failure? Is this done by having an engineer retro-sign for the work undertaken or is it deemed that by having an insurance policy you are covered whether or not building reg and codes have been worked to?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#17 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 03, 2008, 11:48:17 pm
In my experience, calcs are done when the structure is designed, by qualified engineers who design scaf structures. Using standard scaf instead of steel just means that these calcs are way easier to do as the limits of each component is known.  Calcs for climbing walls have to be done for the wall to conform to the current standard (BSEN 12572) and indeed, when you open a wall, the HSE will pay you a visit and will want to see that the project has been signed of by a competant and qualified structural engineer. As regards how boards are attached to the supporting structure, this also has calcs done on the strength and suitability of the component parts by an engineer.

This is a post about a new commercial wall opening up which has considered all these points, Paul. You have spent the last X number of years climbing at the School which would certainly have been condeemed by any sane engineer...  :-\

Paul B

• forum hero
#18 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 04, 2008, 01:04:16 am
In my experience, calcs are done when the structure is designed, by qualified engineers who design scaf structures. Using standard scaf instead of steel just means that these calcs are way easier to do as the limits of each component is known.  Calcs for climbing walls have to be done for the wall to conform to the current standard (BSEN 12572) and indeed, when you open a wall, the HSE will pay you a visit and will want to see that the project has been signed of by a competant and qualified structural engineer. As regards how boards are attached to the supporting structure, this also has calcs done on the strength and suitability of the component parts by an engineer.

This is a post about a new commercial wall opening up which has considered all these points, Paul. You have spent the last X number of years climbing at the School which would certainly have been condeemed by any sane engineer...  :-\

Thanks for the reply, as I've said these were musings about how it all works and issues that pop into my worried little mind. I've only managed to spend about 1 year at the school believe it or not and i'm going to help reverse engineer it tomorrow, a frightening prospect.
It's good to know they're assessed in this manner rather than by an insurance company, heartening in fact. However, I'd be interested to look at some of these calcs for interests sake (such as said Arch) as simply knowing the various stats just isn't going to be enough in that case. Anyway i'll leave my musings for myself or further discussion if I ever see you about.

nik at work

• forum hero
#19 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 04, 2008, 08:21:30 am
Paul I've just got an image of you sat on a mouldy mattress under a board which is groaning under it's own weight at the school drinking a concoction of protein, creatine and glucosamine with your brow furrowed with worry about the state the scaffold poles in various commercial climbing walls which you will never climb on as they fail to address your training needs...

Paul B

• forum hero
#20 Re: Climbnewcastle to open this month
October 05, 2008, 01:14:26 pm
If you replace mould with 'pigeon shit' then I think you've got me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal