UKBouldering.com

Wireless Clueless.... (Read 1255 times)

underground

• forum hero
Wireless Clueless....
September 02, 2007, 07:06:13 pm
Righty ho, I just got a new Nokia phone which is apparently 'smart' and runs Symbian S60 for the O/S. I got it due to a combination of it being free, and coming with lots of free minutes and texts and half price line rental for 5 months. I also hope to sync it with my Outlook calendar at work so I know where to go next.

However, what with this WLAN thingy it has, I wondered about using it wirelessly through my internet connection at home - not sure why I would want to, but think i would like to.

And, I plan to get a Squeezebox or similar device so the PC can live in the box room and remain the primary music source round the house eventually.

So... since i already have a netgear wired modem / 4 port router jobby, and I don't feel the need to use my PC wirelessly yet,

Do I just need a wireless 'access point' plugged into the modem, or am I totally wrong? Basically, please tell me what to plug into my PC/Router so that it emits wireless signals round the house.

Device wise if I start using it as a media centre I'll get Devolo plugs anyway so the wireless will just be for data to the phone ans streaming into the Squeezebox / Intenet radio device I've got me eye on.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: Wireless Clueless....
September 02, 2007, 07:55:51 pm
which nokia have you got, E65? I've got loads of software for s60 v3 including all tomtom stuff and a few good games.
I wouldn't bother with WLAN on the phone at home its shit using a phone to navigate web pages when you can do it in a tenth the time on a desktop/laptop. Its handy when your stuck in airports or similar situations and there is free wifi.
I;ve got desktop upstairs with wireless/wired adsl router wired in and then laptop floating about the house on the wireless.
Its handy having a setup like this.

You would need to get an wireless router, I don't think you can get plug in to existing router due to security and all that.
I'm no good with networking stuff and the likes really, bubba or uncle will probably know this stuff

underground

• forum hero
#2 Re: Wireless Clueless....
September 02, 2007, 08:34:01 pm
Hiya Jim, yep, got an E65. Been seeing a few naff reviews blaming lack of firmware upgrades for crashes and all that, and holding # doesn't switch to silent on mine but I'll try to get Orange to sort it out.

It has 'Navigator' on it but TomTom would be cool.... what's the sketch with GPS dongles?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: Wireless Clueless....
September 03, 2007, 06:45:51 pm
do you have any problems with your ie rebooting all the time etc...?
mine runs great. If your having problems do a hard reset (*#7370#) but back up your phone first. This will sort the majority of problems out. New software will be released soonish so don't worry about that.
If you want any software or help with this phone then sent us a pm and I'll sort you out!
Word

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal