UKBouldering.com

Does "getting angry" work? (Read 2463 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Does "getting angry" work?
July 15, 2003, 12:19:11 pm
Some people get really worked up and aggressive when they're trying to get that problem finished. I know it can be frustrating failing on the last move of your project time and time again, but does getting angry and aggressive help?

In my experience it's counter-productive and I climb best when I'm calm and almost detached from the problem.

If you worry about failure too much, doesn't that just lead to further failure?

dave

#1 Does "getting angry" work?
July 15, 2003, 12:23:28 pm
I think it depends on the particular problem. On certain moves you've got to scream and shout and get medieval to suceed, but for the majority of cases its best to be a relaxed and unpressured as possible, maan.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#2 Does "getting angry" work?
July 15, 2003, 02:27:39 pm
I've found that most problems succumb to a, shall we say, determined approach. The more phhysical the problem, the angrier you should be, in my humble opinion. When trying something sick hard I like to get my spotter to punch me in the chest, which gets the rage flowing nicely.

Of course, where people go wrong is in venting their rage. Anger should be taken out on the rock, not wasted in annoying power screams and the like.

Rage4Lyfe

p.s The exception to this rule is that to mutter "beefcake" under your breath helps a little.

Rancid

• regular
#3 Does "getting angry" work?
July 15, 2003, 04:08:53 pm
Most of the time i climb im calm. if after a couple of failures when im getting close or frustrated i know i can do it but am pissing about i do tend to get my self angry.

it normally always works too.

esp if a nasty mantle top out or something you should have flashed anyway.

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#4 Does "getting angry" work?
July 15, 2003, 04:30:08 pm
I was gonna say that Stu Littlefair always promotes rage whilst climbing, but he's gone and done it already.  Steal my thunder would you?? :cuss:

In my humble opinion, I think a bit of rage focused on serioulsy tough short, power problems, focused onto the move often helps.

However, if you've got yourself a long, stamina problem, I find detaching myself from the problem helps in working through the onset of pump.

Of course, if you're one of these people who feels they have to scream and shout all the time whilst bouldering, then you're obvioulsy just a dickhead.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#5 Does "getting angry" work?
July 15, 2003, 04:49:52 pm
I reckon theres a difference between psyche and anger, given that Anger probably shifts your focus away from the challenge of climbing and psyche gets you into the zone to send it (dude). Its a question of belief.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Does "getting angry" work?
July 16, 2003, 12:50:31 pm
Quote from: "Stu Littlefair"
. When trying something sick hard I like to get my spotter to punch me in the chest, which gets the rage flowing nicely.

That is a very amusing image  :D

Why stop at that? Carry a tazer to the crag and for every failure a quick application to the nuts should ensure maximum effort on the next attempt.

AndyR

• forum hero
#7 Does "getting angry" work?
July 16, 2003, 05:50:05 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"

Why stop at that? Carry a tazer to the crag and for every failure a quick application to the nuts should ensure maximum effort on the next attempt.

I guess there's a fine line between 'unleashing the beast within' and getting that mad that you just deck your spotters......

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#8 Does "getting angry" work?
July 16, 2003, 11:21:56 pm
Like most people I can't abide exhibitionist bullshit at the crag (or anywhere to be honest), but absolute focus is necessary if you are climbing at your limit.

Lets face it, the greatest weakness in most climbers is their heads. How many of you can claim to consistently summon the energy and drive to truly operate at your absolute best. It isn't an easy state of mind to maintain.

I tend to save myself for when I think it matters; then I dig deep and fight like a rabid dog - seems to work.

On longer problems this requires a lot of discipline, because you need to keep a lid on the rage until the very moment when it is required.

I do find this approach pretty exhausting though. I've come back from the crag on some days barely able to speak, although some of my friends probably think this is a good thing.

I've always tried to emulate Ed Brown (useful Yorkshire climber); he doesn't let go until he is literally ripped from the holds, and even then he quite often snags some piece of shite and pulls back on - amazing to watch, and very inspirational.

Cheers, Simon.

Rancid

• regular
#9 Does "getting angry" work?
July 17, 2003, 12:13:25 pm
thats really a really interesting tangent to this topic. > refusing to let go until ripping off

i must admitt to feeling a bit uneasy then giving up or jumping off before i fall off. If i had more staying power not to give in and to keep my head cool esp on a high ball or nasty top out im sure i could improve my grade instantly!

its in my head rather than my ability that has kept me on the same grade for some time now.

back to the anger> i still maintain the fact for me personally if the problem is short and thuggy i get myself angry. not in a power scream type way just in my head and yeah i do tend to swear a bit but it works for me. Men often get off put by my agression tho' so perhaps i should stick to simons theory and refuse to give in?

dave

#10 Does "getting angry" work?
July 17, 2003, 12:22:54 pm
just remember kids: If you don't let go, you wont fall off.

Play smart, play safe.

Rancid

• regular
#11 Does "getting angry" work?
July 17, 2003, 01:55:29 pm
the thing is dave although obviously i agree with you.

when you feel like your coming off if u let go and jump u prepare for the landing. when u simpily fall off its kinda scary and the landing is usually worse. probably just me being a wuss!

def gonna make a conscious effort to not give in more though. simons post made me think.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal