UKBouldering.com

Where's the best area around Font to get a Gite? (Read 1968 times)

LL55

• player
  • Shelly Hocknell is weapon
We'll be travelling down in the van, about 5 of us at most. I dont mind camping for a few days, but would much rather get a Gite sorted.

I've found loads of sites offering gites, but what are the general opinion of the best area to stay in? (close to brioche, cigars and booze).

I'll put up some photos on the cool bouldering photos page in return for my terrible inability to research without help

dave

few things to consider. firstl if you're going at a busy time like easter or october half term then its more a case of finding somehere the right size thats not booked up, rather than having any choice of area. if you've got an unusual number of peeps then thats even more the case. if you;re only going for a few days then forget about getting a gite as they only let them in block of a week frm sat-sat, unless they expect business to be extraordinarily slow at that time.

All the above withstanding, anywhere in the general area will be fine. most of the gites will either be around the milly/trois pignon area, or nemours/larchant/chapalle la reine, or near font town itself. there are some which'll come up on the gite websites which are miles away though, so always check on googlemap or mappy. every village has a small shops and there are supermakets in all the big towns, and a massive carrefour back towards paris (5 mins drive from cuvier) at villieres en biere. once you've driven however many hours to get down there a bit of a drive to the shops won't be a problem, especially if you're organised and don't need to ge every day. also remember its france so fuck-all is open on a sunday, and in the week the french lunch-hour lasts from about 9-5.

Paul B

• forum hero
I dont mind camping for a few days

I wouldnt suggest going to "La Musardiere" if your intending to camp (even if its just for a night or two), you might as well get a Forumle 1, the campsite is a bit of a rip off.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
also remember its france so fuck-all is open on a sunday, and in the week the french lunch-hour lasts from about 9-5.

And everything is shut on Wednesday afternoon. And don't believe the advertised opening times of local shops and bars (and even supermarkets) etc etc etc.

Also, if you can get a specific place (or owner of a few places) recommended then I'd go with that. Some of the gite owners can charge over the odds for cleaning, electricity and other "hidden costs" so what might seem like a good deal can get pretty pricey. Most are decent from my experience but I've heard some horror stories.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 01:48:17 pm by Jaspersharpe »

LL55

• player
  • Shelly Hocknell is weapon
Cheers for the heads up, we're heading out for 10 days. Which is usually the time when i start thinking I really can't be arsed to go out bouldering again.

I'll sort out the photos....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal