UKBouldering.com

Rock engineering in Bleau (Read 4200 times)

i.munro

• junky
Rock engineering in Bleau
August 21, 2007, 06:32:27 pm

Just saw on bleau.info that cosiroc are in a bit of a strop ,understandably IMO, about rock being moved/broken (my French isn't the best) to improve some landings WTF!

Anyone know anything?

Ian

saltbeef

• forum hero
#1 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 21, 2007, 08:17:27 pm
I expect its andiT building bloody patios again...

AndiT

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 21, 2007, 09:32:49 pm
A gross and seemingly unstopable trend fuelled by a minority believing that it is somehow acceptable. A real shame.

Saltbeef: please don't taint my screen-name with even jokes like that, I'll let you off the -ve Karma point, the Ben Moon 'signature' and the obscene photo but don't get me on the patioing again!!!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 21, 2007, 10:17:43 pm
Knowing font, I'm guessing this work is likely to be aimed at controlling erosion rather than keeping Andi's pad dry.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 21, 2007, 11:21:41 pm

rock being moved/broken (my French isn't the best) to improve some landings WTF!

Erosion control! I hope you're right JB, (you normally are) and that something has been lost in translation. Otherwise I fear a patio building equivalant of the Rage virus in 28 weeks later spreading to France.

In the four trips I've had to Font (not in the last few years) I can't say I've noticed much in the way of ground erosion which couldn't be remedied with a common Scarborough bucket and spade. But, as with the last Patio thread I'm sure I'll be told I'm over reacting.....

Shy Yorkshireman

• regular
    • climblox
#5 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 22, 2007, 09:44:33 am
Knowing font, I'm guessing this work is likely to be aimed at controlling erosion
Unlike some of your own handy work in the Peak! Anyone say trundle!

You say E5 Adams says V5.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 22, 2007, 12:22:33 pm
In the four trips I've had to Font (not in the last few years) I can't say I've noticed much in the way of ground erosion which couldn't be remedied with a common Scarborough bucket and spade.

Pretty much all of the areas on hillsides, eg the back of 95.2, apremont, big areas of Dame jouanne, have serious erosion problems. There are big areas shored up with pine trunks, even to the extent of terracing in places. Its neccessary given the fragility of the sand/ soil around the base of the blocs. Areas of Dame jouanne are actually cordoned off with wires.

Given the scale of some of these engineering operations it would be hard to avoid giving the odd boulder a knock or two. Thats entirely speculation though, given their attitude to rock generally, I don't expect it to be put on the kind of pedestal grit is.

i.munro

• junky
#7 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 22, 2007, 03:26:21 pm
Knowing font, I'm guessing this work is likely to be aimed at controlling erosion rather than keeping Andi's pad dry.

It's definitely patio construction of some sort I don't think COSIROC would be complaining about erosion work as I assume they are involved in that. They mention moving a dangerous boulder at Cuvier but then go on to compare this with "destruction à la masse des cailloux " at aux Chats & Isatis.

Ian

Resonate

• addict
#8 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 22, 2007, 03:32:42 pm
Isn't it just an extreme version of the same thing as moving a loose stone from below a climb? I doubt anyone thinks the walls below fatman and big golden etc to stop erosion are bad things, where's the line?

i.munro

• junky
#9 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 22, 2007, 04:36:46 pm
Isn't it just an extreme version of the same thing as moving a loose stone from below a climb? I doubt anyone thinks the walls below fatman and big golden etc to stop erosion are bad things, where's the line?

Power tools?...

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 22, 2007, 05:02:08 pm
I was at most of the venues listed just a few days ago and didn't see anything that looked like an obvious patio build....

(I remember some while ago someone mentioning serious erosion on the footholds of le toit cul de chien: I can confirm that this is now absoloutely massive, it looks like all of the soft stuff has eroded next to something harder making a massive square edged foot hole!)

dave

#11 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 22, 2007, 05:34:30 pm
I thought we had reports not so long ago that this new foorhold had been recently manufactured?

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 22, 2007, 05:42:18 pm
as in not just wear and tear?

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 22, 2007, 05:59:00 pm
Sorry when I read the previous thread I thought it was still unclear whether or not this was chipped or just excessive erosion. For what its worth it looked like some of the lower holds on Childsplay (bowden).

dave

#15 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 22, 2007, 06:56:05 pm
I can imagine that once chipped it would likely quickly erode away like that based on the ammount of traffic it gets.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#16 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 22, 2007, 10:07:20 pm
well chipped or not I still don't recon saltbeef will be able to get up it  :P

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#17 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 23, 2007, 07:58:10 am
I can't understand why they haven't filled it in.  :shrug:

There are plenty of examples of eroding/chipped holds being repaired to prevent the erosion getting worse. The damaged starting hold on Boucherie for example. You would have thought that this would be top of the list?!

They should have a word with Gary Wickham. He used to have a type of varnish from furniture restoration which when painted onto sandstone replaced the hard outer coating and prevented further erosion. We used it on a lot of routes on SS which would otherwise have been destroyed or would have been impossible in the first place as they'd been aided. I'm sure a similar product would work at Font.

dave

#18 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 23, 2007, 08:49:56 am
aye, some problem problems in the peak have also been treated with various surface sealants. by lovejoy for example. seems to work well although its worth noting that the bottom of flying arete at higgar needs re-doing.

i.munro

• junky
#19 Re: Rock engineering in Bleau
August 23, 2007, 01:02:34 pm

They should have a word with Gary Wickham. He used to have a type of varnish from furniture restoration which when painted onto sandstone replaced the hard outer coating and prevented further erosion.

I was talking to a guy some time ago who told me they have a similiar product. I was supposed to put him in touch with Gary so they could compare recipes but didn't get round to it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal