UKBouldering.com

Access Signs At Churnet (Read 1199 times)

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
Access Signs At Churnet
August 23, 2007, 09:20:59 am
I was up at Wrights Rock last night and on the way up through the woods there was an access sign and another at the bottom of the hill walking down from Wrights. It was about access paths to wrights and in lots of council jargon i figured they were changing the public access to some of the current paths if not contested. I thought whoever is the access guy for the area should know. Cheers

AndiT

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Access Signs At Churnet
August 23, 2007, 10:14:28 am
Yeah, this has been ongoing for some time. The path which it refers to is one which breaks up and left before you come to the style and goes close to the property which is being so grossly developed. It is not a 'climbers path' as such but I suppose the cause for concern is that the other path (the one us climbers use, over the style) is now a 'concession path' as opposed to a right of way. My worry would be that the concessionary rights are removed, even then the approach up the road would still be usable as would the approach from the Peakstone Inn. I cannot see a reason why these rights would be removed however. I wish I knew what they were building and I'm completely amazed that they've been given pp to go ahead with the development in this area of natural beauty.

Needless to say, it is good that people are keeping an eye on things like this so as to hopefully prevent future problems.

In addition, conditions were ace yesterday up there(I left about 5pm), did you have a good time?

Andi

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#2 Re: Access Signs At Churnet
August 23, 2007, 10:34:08 am
Yeah certainly did, i always do in the valley (even though i climbed like a man with no arms), was desperately tryin to find a decent sequence for the traverse. Had a few pops at fingers and simple simon and was annoyingly slappin the holds but not holding them, not comitting properly i think. But nevermind another day they will go.

BenF

• forum hero
#3 Re: Access Signs At Churnet
August 23, 2007, 11:14:53 am
I wish I knew what they were building and I'm completely amazed that they've been given pp to go ahead with the development in this area of natural beauty.

I agree, the development appears to be a) bizarre to have been allowed in such a beautiful, undeveloped spot and b) quite horrible (although this is almost academic once the decision has been made to plonk some buildings there).  As I've said previously on here, I have had a rather strange conversation with the landowners a while back but they didn't seem too bothered about climbing on their land, just concerned that we didn't camp out on our pads.  So we stopped our camp behaviour immediately and acted all butch and that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal