UKBouldering.com

Grunge - 15 years on (Read 13072 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#25 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
September 08, 2007, 12:40:05 am
It was great to hear from him, he seemed compus mentus.
Good news indeed :)

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#26 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
September 08, 2007, 10:44:52 am
agreed bubba
he had some ideas about making cash out of tourists
that entrepreneurial streak ran deep  :)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#27 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
September 19, 2007, 11:26:10 am
Hi. Anyone got a MP3 link to Mudhoney's Suck You Dry? I remember really liking that.

P.S. Not really grunge but around at the same time, no-one (not even Andy F) has mentioned The God Machine yet???? Shocking.

Dr T

• forum hero
#28 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
September 19, 2007, 02:56:09 pm
P.S. Not really grunge but around at the same time, no-one (not even Andy F) has mentioned The God Machine yet???? Shocking.
in the same vein -Sugar -Copper blue .... classic

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#29 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
September 27, 2007, 09:17:51 pm
Hi. Anyone got a MP3 link to Mudhoney's Suck You Dry? I remember really liking that.

Ah, The God Machine, possibly the best of the lot. Scenes from the Second Story is indeed a piece of fractured beauty. Goes for a few quid on Ebay nowadays, if you've got a copy then keep hold, same with One Last Laugh in a Place of Dying (for our friend Jimmy Fernandes).

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#30 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
September 27, 2007, 09:53:18 pm

Sorry Fiend, missed that.  Good tune, not their best in my opinion, but still good.
PM me if you haven't got it......

Forgot to mention Fudge Tunnel.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:01:10 pm by GCW, Reason: Getting old, memory is erm... what was I saying? »

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#31 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
September 27, 2007, 10:52:42 pm
in the same vein -Sugar -Copper blue .... classic

Copper Blue, indeed a brilliant album. Shame FUEL wasn't anywhere near as good :(

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#32 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
September 27, 2007, 11:09:13 pm
L7 in full glory...

man I still love Placebo

then

now

I had the rather distinict pleasure of getting royally hammered with both Bush and Placebo after their gig at the Krazy House in Liverpool in late '94. Placebo came on stage and my girlfriend of the time (now wife) watched them thinking "is it a boy, is it a girl?" for the whole set, but the truely rocked. Bush were great as well, I've still got a signed set list from that gig in the attic somewhere..

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#33 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
September 27, 2007, 11:46:56 pm
Can we throw Tool into the mix? Undertow was '94 IIRC, as was Paw's most excellent 'Dragline', both worth searching out.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#34 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
September 28, 2007, 12:38:28 am
I only ever liked one song by Placebo: Come home:

Top song, but watching the film that goes with it reminds me why I dislike this band. ::)

His stage persona is so laboured it's funny.

Tool are obviously gods. I also really rate the offshoot (and probably listen to them more): A Perfect Circle:

I played Copper Blue to death at the time. Great album for sure.

andy popp

• forum hero
#35 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
September 28, 2007, 12:30:55 pm
Sugar were OK but as nothing compared to the mighty Husker Du, who, like most of the bands mentioned in this thread, were nothing to do with grunge.. Saw Husker Du several times, the best being at the Bierkeller in Bristol just after the release of New Day Rising; they were ferocious.

Dr T

• forum hero
#36 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
September 28, 2007, 01:26:15 pm
Can we throw Tool into the mix?
without a doubt - effing blinding live but no where near being grunge...
as for a perfect circle imho started brilliantly - saw them support the deftones at wembly a few years back - but then disappeared up their own backsides....

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#37 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
October 08, 2007, 06:59:03 pm

Ah, The God Machine, possibly the best of the lot. Scenes from the Second Story is indeed a piece of fractured beauty.

Just gonna raise the dead thread to say LO!  Andy F, at last we speak the same language, breathe of the same air, and eat of the most holiest of sacred cows!  The God Machine were so damn good it's a fucking lie!  Unleash the wild rock waddage. 

underground

• forum hero
#38 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
October 08, 2007, 07:52:34 pm
Sugar were shit when I saw them live, the worst 8 quid I ever spent on a gig.

The God Machine, fucking brilliant, Gil Norton knew how to produce a record.

Girls Against Boys were pretty damned impressive around the same time, saw them play at The Leadmill in the back bar and nearly fell off it  when the full power of the noise was unleashed...

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#39 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
October 08, 2007, 09:29:50 pm
I loved Girls against Boys - saw them live quite a few times. Also saw Soulside (the lead singer's old post-hardcore band) play at the Duchess of York in Leeds once. Great bands.

To Andy Popp: obviously Sugar never matched Husker Du's high points (how could he/they?), but they still put out at least one very fine record. In fact that Beaster thing is pretty good too.

Not grunge at all really, but definitely an influence on the main grunge bands, and certainly one of the most important American bands in the 80s. Check out: Let it Be by The Replacements

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Let-Be-Remastered-Replacements/dp/B00006FR75

Paul Westerburg (the singer) continues to make fine music. I can bore people about how good his solo albums are too, just give me the nod and I'll make some recommendations.

andy popp

• forum hero
#40 Re: Grunge - 15 years on
November 09, 2007, 08:05:33 pm
Forget grunge

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal