UKBouldering.com

Can anyone recommend a pre-amp for converting vinyl to digital? (Read 18208 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Ouch - that is a lot of vinyl in that photo :)

For a first go i'm happy - more cleaning and lossless recording will mean much nicer recordings. Every 50 12" or so i'll probably post to a torrent site to share it all :)

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
The results sound pretty good for MP3
Apart from all the distortion.
Bubba, you need to reduce the input level by at least 3dB and probably more like 6dB. I not familiar with Audacity and its metering but you need to keep it out of the red.
I did a screen grab of the file open in Goldwave so you could see the waveform heavily clipped and the meters peaking, but I can't figure out how to attach it  :wall:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I did a screen grab of the file open in Goldwave so you could see the waveform heavily clipped and the meters peaking, but I can't figure out how to attach it  :wall:
Look at this excellent article.
There was me assuming that's how the tune was supposed to sound.  Don't I feel silly now  :lol:

Serpico

• forum hero
I thought there was a way to add it as an attachment, like the .mp3 was attached.
I should get a Flickr account or similar anyway.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
:) Thanks for checking it for me but don't worry it wasn't a serious attempt at recording, it was just a quick test coz i'd set up the kit. I was happy with the result that it gave with no tweaking whatsoever, but yeah the levels were too high.

I'm trying to source a copy of Soundforge 9 to do the proper recording with and will set it all up properly then.

Will post back when i have another go.

Sorry serpico only i can add attachments at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:06:20 am by Bubba »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Hmmm I think there is a major problem with this setup.

The Project phonobox has no volume control and it's output is just too hot for the soundcard.

Everything is clipping. I guess I could run it through a mixer but that's hardly an ideal solution. If i'm going to do that then I might as well dispense with the preamp altogether and run the deck straight into the mixer.

Pants.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:12:01 pm by Bubba »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Are you running MM or MC?  Can sometimes make a difference due to the differing output levels?  Does this need to be taken into account for your PhonoBox?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I'm assuming they're MM since they're just cheap DJ cartridges.

Will have a quick try on MC

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

MC setting sounds quieter but it's still clipping all over the place. Sounds muffled too so i'm guessing MM is correct.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
You ain't got an amp in your deck have you?  Stupid question I know  :whistle:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Nah, it's just a standard SL 1210.

Seems bizarre that a pre-amped signal should totally overload a decent soundcard

edit - the same problem occurrs using the USB output from the pre-amp, i.e. bypassing the soundcard completely.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:33:13 pm by Bubba »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Sounds odd.  Have you reduced "Device volume"?  Does it make a difference?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I can't reduce the volume from the control panel - it's greyed out. I've emailed project regarding this as it may be a driver issue.

I wonder if typical DJ cartridges are louder than typical hifi ones?

I get the same problem using a Stanton 500 or an Ortofon DJ cartridge.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I assume you've looked at this PDF?
I wonder if typical DJ cartridges are louder than typical hifi ones?

To a degree, but it shouldn't cause significant issues with a good soundcard.
My PhonoBox does this:
Input Sensitivity MM 5mV / 1kHz
Input Sensitivity MC 0.45mV / 1kHz
Input Impedance MM 47K ohms / 100 pF
Input Impedance MC 100 ohms / 100 pF
Output Voltage 200mV / 1kHz
RIAA Curve Accuracy 20Hz-20kHz / max 0.5
Output voltage 15-16V/50mA AC
which I assume will be the same with yours.  These are all pretty standard figures.  Your Stanton will be outputting around 4.5mV which is well within the capabilities of the box.  I would expect the problems arise from the output from the box.  For some reason you're clipping from an overload somewhere in the post-amp section.  Why?  Good question.
I expect Project can help.  Good luck mate.  Let me know.

EDIT:  A bit of Googling suggests Ortofon cartridges output around 5mV, which should be fine.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Yeah, maybe the unit is faulty or something - have contacted their UK distributor.

If i don't get any joy i might get one of these instead (have seen good reviews) and flog the project

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Sorry, but what advantage will that have in digitising LPs?  Am I being thick?

Serpico

• forum hero
Nah, it's just a standard SL 1210.

Seems bizarre that a pre-amped signal should totally overload a decent soundcard

edit - the same problem occurrs using the USB output from the pre-amp, i.e. bypassing the soundcard completely.

Agreed. I think the issue here is that you don't appear to have any software control over your input levels. Stick to using the USB output as this eliminates another gain stage. You could also try downloading http://goldwave.com/release.php and see if it's device control panel allows you any input control, and also run it's device test to verify the driver, etc.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Sorry, but what advantage will that have in digitising LPs?  Am I being thick?
It's got an output volume control so you could use that to control the level of the analogue signal before it hits the PC. Or am i being thick too :)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Agreed. I think the issue here is that you don't appear to have any software control over your input levels. Stick to using the USB output as this eliminates another gain stage. You could also try downloading http://goldwave.com/release.php and see if it's device control panel allows you any input control, and also run it's device test to verify the driver, etc.
Ok, i'll see what Goldwave says :)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Goldwave may have highlighted an issue...

When i run the device test, everything is fine, but it seems to think that the USB input source is a microphone, which would explain a lot.

Also, when i view the driver, it says that the driver is "usbaudio.sys" which i think is just a generic microsoft driver.

Hmm... Project don't supply any drivers with the box though...

...which may be the root of the problem - i've just read a post from the guy who actually wrote that windows usb audio driver and apparantly if the input device cannot act upon volume controls then they just leave them out.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:32:28 am by Bubba »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
It's got an output volume control so you could use that to control the level of the analogue signal before it hits the PC. Or am i being thick too :)
Didn't see that, just the multi-output bit.  OK, I was being thick.
Sounds like a decent driver should sort you out.  I'm waiting for some helpful sole to point out that it'd be fine on a Mac :lol:

Serpico

• forum hero
In GoldWave with your pre-anp selected as the record device, what inputs show in the volume panel? And do any of them make any difference?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Just a microphone slider for the USB input which will only increase volume, not reduce it. When i go through the troubleshooting menu it states "no master input control".

I've emailed Project and they sent some troubleshooting tips, but nothing has any effect.

However, when I rig the pre-amp to output directly to the aux-in on my amp, everything is fine with no distortion, etc.

Serpico

• forum hero
I think "no master input control" isn't a problem, I get that for all my soundcards.
Presumably when you reduce the mic slider to zero you still have too much level?
For a couple of quid you could build a couple of L-pads that would attenuate the signal between your pre-amp and your soundcard. I'll have a surf for a schematic (it's only 4 resistors, but I don't know the values off the top of my head).

Serpico

• forum hero
Here's a link on how to build l-pads:http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/. This shows them built into XLRs, but you could put them on a Vero board (or even terminal block - no soldering needed) and just split a phono lead for the ins/outs.
R1 = 10K ohm
R2 = 3k6 ohm
This is a compromise though, there should be a software fix for your problem. It occurred to me that if your device control panel sees your pre-amp as a USB microphone, then it's possible there might be 20dB of gain switched on in the advance properties box.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal