UKBouldering.com

Rubbish Skin Remedies (Read 4297 times)

LL55

• player
  • Shelly Hocknell is weapon
Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 06, 2007, 01:42:33 pm
After about 2/3 days in the peak my skin is trashed, I managed 3 full days on at a time while out in Ticino, but more than that and my tips would be bleeding and to sore to climb without taped tips.

Is it worth dipping them in turps or sandpapering them when not climbing/training? I'd usually put my rubbish skin down to not living in a peak area, but the people I climb with dont suffer to the same extent.... possibly the desk job doesn't help.

Has anyone had the same problem, and sorted it? I should be headed to another granite/sandstone area abroad in a few months so could do with getting tougher skin somehow!

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 06, 2007, 01:47:56 pm
there can be many things here. are you spending more time on the rock than your mates, ie are you having 10 goes on something they do second go? 3 full days on granite is a lot of climbing. there are a lot of remedies out there. the ones that i think work are none of them.

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#2 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 06, 2007, 02:25:03 pm
Erm...most likely to be aload of nonsense but google came up with this CLICK ME hope this helps :)

LL55

• player
#3 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 06, 2007, 02:31:22 pm
there can be many things here. are you spending more time on the rock than your mates, ie are you having 10 goes on something they do second go? 3 full days on granite is a lot of climbing. there are a lot of remedies out there. the ones that i think work are none of them.

Interestingly I usually spend less time working something, I lose my skin about a day before anyone else.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#4 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 06, 2007, 02:59:47 pm
Do you sand your skin whilst climbing? I used to be sceptical about this, but in recent years I've realised how important it can be. Obviously you only need to do it if if your skin starts flaking and breaking up. Try some liquid chalk; in moderation I reckon this helps.

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#5 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 06, 2007, 03:37:17 pm
Have you tried Surgical spirit? Apparently thats meant to toughen up skin yet leave them without cracks.

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
#6 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 06, 2007, 03:52:30 pm
as is piss :goodidea:??

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 06, 2007, 05:21:26 pm
Alum works, as does Anti-hydral 'der sportichplan fer der tuffer tips'

LL55

• player
#8 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 08, 2007, 11:32:52 am
as is piss :goodidea:??

I've aquired an ammonia pen stick thing, which I'm applying to my left fingers at regular intervals. I'll give the sanding a go - i usually start with the skin in my tips wearing down to pin prick holes which start pissing blood, making everything a bit greasy..... (at least that's the reason I give for not sending anything mildy hard)

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#9 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 08, 2007, 01:43:07 pm
One thing that works for me is some stuff called 'smitten' hand cream from lush. Using it after a session on lime seems to speed up my skin recovery time n helps tip bruising....smells nice too. Another tip is to declare loudly that you're 'buying it for the missus' when ur in the shop :-[

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#10 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 08, 2007, 03:09:11 pm
sanding, plenty of cocoa butter, elizibeth arden 8 hour at night and stump cream on road trips.
If you don't climb on rough rock regulary then sanding will help the most as this encourages skin growth

ouch

• regular
#11 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 25, 2007, 03:48:18 pm
Alum works, as does Anti-hydral 'der sportichplan fer der tuffer tips'

what is Alum? will it give me thicker skin?  Somebody told me to get some hoofmaker, anyone using this?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 25, 2007, 04:17:14 pm
Alum is a white mineral, you can buy it in chemists. Dissolve it in water, rub it on hands.

ouch

• regular
#13 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
June 25, 2007, 04:36:20 pm
cheers for the beta, I've never heard of it b4 :)

Any word on how often and when etc?

philo

• forum hero
#14 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
August 10, 2007, 01:42:08 am
dip your finger tips in honey.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#15 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
August 10, 2007, 09:14:16 am
elizibeth arden 8 hour at night

That's the ticket... works like magic

etjoset

• addict
  • Twiddle that knob
#16 Re: Rubbish Skin Remedies
August 10, 2007, 10:08:04 am
Sandpaper at the crag; moisturize at night.

Be careful what problems you attempt when the weather is warm, especially on grit. Ten minutes attempting (and failing) to hang off the 'wrong' type of sloper and your skin can go bad for weeks. Climb little and often and stop as soon as you feel your tips getting a bit thin rather than trashing them beyond repair. Their recovery time increases exponentially, the more trashed they are. This, of course, is fine if you live 10 minutes from the rocks but not so good on a road trip.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal