UKBouldering.com

Techno notice (Read 3730 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Techno notice
August 08, 2007, 12:22:33 pm
Fans of either/or Ricardo Villalobos and Matthew Dear may be interested in purchasing a copy of this months Wire magazine. It features an extended interview with Villalobos and a page with Dear.  :dance1:

irish si

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Techno notice
August 08, 2007, 06:53:43 pm
already got it. and i live in boulder! Minimalisious Intent. awsome musicians.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#2 Re: Techno notice
August 09, 2007, 08:46:25 am
Does the Matthew Dear interview go something like this;

Q; Under the guise of Audion and False you made most excellent techno music, why have you decided to stop that and do electro?

A; Well, I was never going to be really famous or rich doing fucking excellent techno that only techno people would be into. I needed to break into the more general market and appeal to the masses. P Diddy didn't get rich selling his music to kids in the ghetto did he? I think that if I can craft something like that catchy Hot Chip record and make to number one then I can make more money and enjoy a more celebrity lifestyle. I'm a mover and a shaker!

Monolith

• forum hero
#3 Re: Techno notice
August 09, 2007, 09:08:33 am
Not far off there mind.

Q. Why have you donned a leather jacket, grown your hair, started a band and stopped making fucking incredible techno?

A. I heard selling out was all the rage. We'll see how that goes for a few months and then perhaps 'revert back to my old style' if it falls on its arse.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Techno notice
August 09, 2007, 09:19:37 am
Well maybe he actually likes to make other styles of music than the one you're most keen on? :)

And maybe he has to pay the bills? Or maybe he just *likes* performing in a band?

Or isn't he underground enough for you to listen to now :lol: 

P Diddy got rich via Bad Boy Records, which I think you could argue sold a shitload of music to kids in "the ghetto", although some might say that wasn't underground enough too i guess.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#5 Re: Techno notice
August 09, 2007, 09:44:22 am
You're totally right Bubba. I have absolutely no right to ask a musician to continue with one vein of music. All I can do is appreciate what they do. I prefer that harder, darker, mnml techno sound. I don't really dislike what he's doing and I think it's part of his evolution in music. In that sense I think it's good. Variety is the spice of life! As for not being underground... I keep going to see Richie, and I would say he is far as you can get from underground in the techno seen. Still, there is so much good music about I'd be a fool to complain that Matthew Dear isn't making the same music he made 3 years ago!

Actually, a few years ago, there was a band that was very near and dear to my heart. But they started changing, and so one night (when I was a bit drunk) I sat down and mailed the lead singer telling him that the new sound is shit, insincere, and not true to the original ethos of their music. He replied with some stuff about how he empathised but ultimately that is progression. He cited a number of examples which I thought was nice of him. About 6 months ago I bumped into him in a gig in London and afterwards asked him if he remembered this email. At first he was like "I got a number of emails like that but I never bothered responding". I told him that I did get a response and told him what he wrote. Then he remembered! He said that he too was a bit drunk when he responded, and he basically bullshitted and lied to try and make me feel better about it all. I burst out laughing when he told me this. Funnily enough, he now makes music on his own which is far more like the old stuff he used to make in a band. Progress is progress. Whilst tastes and preferences evolve so do artists needs. We are only enjoying a bi product of their creativity so just enjoy what you can and leave the rest.

Monolith

• forum hero
#6 Re: Techno notice
August 09, 2007, 09:50:12 am
Don't get me wrong Bubba, I'm all for evolution, but to change one's self-image overnight in conjunction with one's new musical departure seems a bit contrived don't you think?

Funnily enough, I thought the 'paying the bills' argument might come into it somewhere in the discussion ;) He ought to stick with working in a pizza joint and working long hours to provide me, the selfish westerner with the music that I WANT NOW! Now where's my McObese burger??

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Techno notice
August 09, 2007, 09:51:33 am
A. I heard selling out was all the rage. We'll see how that goes for a few months and then perhaps 'revert back to my old style' if it falls on its arse.
You do realise that his first album as Mathew Dear, which is pretty damn Hot Chip/pop techno was released before anything he put out as Audion :)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Techno notice
August 09, 2007, 09:53:13 am

Great tale there Uncle :)

Monolith

• forum hero
#9 Re: Techno notice
August 09, 2007, 10:19:24 am
You do realise that his first album as Mathew Dear, which is pretty damn Hot Chip/pop techno was released before anything he put out as Audion :)

Sure do, I received a copy of the Suckfish album cover in poster format when it came out with my order. Amazing artwork!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:21:55 am by Bubba, Reason: corrected bbcode »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Techno notice
August 09, 2007, 10:30:39 am
I meant his 2003 thingy, "Leave Luck to Heaven", which is pretty damn good btw, even if it does have it's poppy moments.

I think diversity in an artist/label is good anyway. I like the fact that staunch militant techno label UR will release everything from bleeps to dreamy Detroit soundscapes to nasty dark beats :)

Monolith

• forum hero
#11 Re: Techno notice
August 09, 2007, 10:42:37 am
I'm with you Bubba, just struggling to keep up between stapling 20 million files and stage a discussion! Please excuse my inattentiveness within the thread  ::)

dr blowfin

#12 Re: Techno notice
August 16, 2007, 06:54:20 pm
i much prefer his 'hybrid' sound to his straight up techno, which i find really lacks any depth...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal