UKBouldering.com

Croatia, Dalmatia etc (Read 4271 times)

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 01, 2007, 10:29:38 am
On Saturday, to coincide with Britain's seven days of summer this year, I'm off to Croatia for a week.

We will mainly be around the northern islands eg Krk, Rab and Pag.  It will be a 'holiday' holiday but we're going to take boots and chalk on the off chance there's some DWSing or bouldering to be done.

Has anyone been to this part of the world?  And if so, what's the climbing like?

Cheers in advance.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 01, 2007, 10:32:50 am
Is this not the playground of the Zany extreme funster Mike weeks? - Britain's champion rock climber (according to maximuscle) and super star Deejay? Perhaps if you ring him and tell him you are from Congleton fishing bi-annular, you could con him into shepherding you round the area, massaging your ego and perhaps even letting you shag his bird?

RASTATA

• addict
#2 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 01, 2007, 10:55:55 am
There is no much climbing in Krk, Rab and Pag islands from what i know. More climbing is down south (Paklenica, around city of Split). There is a huge potential for DWS in archipelago of Kornati, but at the moment is climbing there banned from the authorities of national park.

You could ask on this pages http://www.marulianus.hr/  and  http://www.cro-climbing.com
for more information. They are in Croatian language only, but just ask on their forums. They are usually very friendly and for sure know more about things you like to know.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#3 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 01, 2007, 11:09:26 am
Two posts of the utmost usefulness.  Thank you.

I'll check those websites out.  Cheers. 

Dobbin.  I believe the zany funster plies his trade in the hallowed Southern Isles.  In fact I believe he's there at the moment, snorkelling for his car keys after a mishap involving a champion bat hang above the sea.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 01, 2007, 02:31:07 pm
How unfortunate. I do hope steve mac will treat us to a bat hang training article soon, then mishaps such as this can be avoided.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#5 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 01, 2007, 02:52:31 pm
I can see it now:  Fat Face Overshadow Shorts - this season's design has added zip up pockets for all your bathanging needs.  Designed in collaboration with top rock champion Steve McClure after he lost a total of £18.37 in coppers whilst sieging his latest megaroute at Malham.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#6 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 01, 2007, 03:17:29 pm
check out SF with some money!  :jaw:

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#7 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 01, 2007, 03:18:59 pm
You're not wrong.  I've been smuggling a quid in coppers out of the bank every day and now I'm off to Croatia for a well deserved rest.

Nigel

• forum hero
#8 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 01, 2007, 03:20:40 pm
Designed in collaboration with top rock champion Steve McClure after he lost a total of £18.37 in coppers whilst sieging his latest megaroute at Malham.

At least he'll still have a pound in coppers tucked away safe and sound. You know where I mean.

Nigel

• forum hero
#9 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 01, 2007, 03:21:17 pm
Wow you're quick.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#10 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 01, 2007, 03:29:00 pm
I hope your replying to SF's answer and not your own  :P

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#11 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 01, 2007, 04:01:04 pm
Nige.  Timing aside, the important thing is that both tangients on this thread have been subjected to such low brow humour.

zemike

• regular
#12 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 02, 2007, 01:58:35 pm
hi sf, check cliffbase.com for info on southern croatia. looks like holidays...

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#13 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 02, 2007, 02:17:16 pm
Hi zemike.  I looked at cliffbase.com after a Google search.  It looked good for DWSing etc but I don't think we'll be heading that far south.  I asked on here as there was a dearth of info about the bits we were going to.  Probably for a very good reason.

Have you been?

zemike

• regular
#14 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 03, 2007, 10:20:13 am
i´ve been decades ago... but with focus on caving, snorkeling etc. the coastlines of the northern islands (eg Krk) tend to be cliffy so there should be some dws/bouldering.

the info on hvar is second hand but the bloke was totally raving & keen to get back asap... sounded sound so far...

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#15 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 03, 2007, 10:49:59 am
Nice one.  That's got me hopeful of forging some zany extreme lines etc.  Now, does anyone know if they sell over-caffeinated sugary drink company there?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#16 Re: Croatia, Dalmatia etc
August 03, 2007, 11:57:32 am
Have you arranged to freight your sponsors banners out there already? you realise nothing can be acheived in these exotic locations without draping banners either side of your project. And, I dont think your hair is curly enough. Take some rollers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal