UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire Sculpture Park - Andy Goldsworthy (Read 5694 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Yorkshire Sculpture Park - Andy Goldsworthy
August 04, 2007, 11:21:20 am
It was Mrs FD's birthday yesterday so we had a day off to visit the Yorkshire Sulpture Park nr Wakefield to take a look at the Andy Goldsworthy exhibition.

http://www.ysp.co.uk/view.aspx?id=422

I was surprised at how large the site is.. too big to rush around in one day.  The Goldsworthy exhibition is very impressive.. I've got a few books and have marvelled at the photographs but to actually stand inside a dome made made of intertwined chestnut logs and amongst the sandstone piles with black holes was a really moving experience.  I hadn't counted on the smell being such a big part of the pieces...

Anyway, get yer 'sens there before January 7th. It's free to get in with a £4 parking charge and the organic beers in the resturaunt a lovely too.  :beer1:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

It's a great place for a lazy sunny day :)

Will try to make the Goldsworthy thing - i love his stuff.

account_inactive

• forum hero
Just came back from the YSP  :great:

The Andy Goldsworthy exhibition was slightly disappointing, but good to see non the less.  I think this stems from preferring to see his work outside, in a more transient form rather than cooked up in gallery.

The cafe is pretty rad too

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Will try to make the Goldsworthy thing - i love his stuff.

Ditto.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Sounds good, the sculpture park here (at Tyrebagger) is pants, but better than sitting in airport.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Went to see this on a couple of days ago. Although i didn't have time to see some of the further flung outdoor pieces on the whole i was super impressed.

After reading Dylan's comments above i was expecting the indoor stuff to be a bit pants, but I thought all the stuff in the Underground Gallery was breathtaking and a truly innovative use of indoor spaces. I also really liked some of the shit/blood stuff in the Longside Gallery.

If you like Goldsworthy even a little bit i would say get yourself to see this stuff. It's sheer quality.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
thanks for the beta. will check this out

account_inactive

• forum hero
To be fair we didn't get to see the underground gallery as it was shut when we got there.  It did however look bon.

Still not keen on this stuff

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
To be fair we didn't get to see the underground gallery as it was shut when we got there.  It did however look bon.

That would explain your earlier comment then... the items you saw were mostly photo's and the odd small piece of his earlier works that have led to where he is today.  You ought to go back if you get the chance 'cos like Bubba I was gobsmacked by the works in the underground gallery...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Sounds good, the sculpture park here (at Tyrebagger) is pants, but better than sitting in airport.

Is this related to the stone circle?

Would like to check out the Goldsworthy ting. Maybe next week.

squeek

• junky
Good recommendation, went yesterday and really enjoyed it.

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
how about the james turrel 'deer shelter' piece - pretty deep if you can get a while on your own in there

Karl

• regular
    • My band, metal. more metal than yer mam's ketal.
I went down to the underground gallery the other day, speechless.
The room of logs twinned together was crazy & amazing at the same time.

Defiantly recommend this! 

SA Chris

• forum hero

Is this related to the stone circle?

The one at Kirkhill? I don't think and of the stone circles there are particularly old.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
The one at Kirkhill? I don't think and of the stone circles there are particularly old.

There's one at Tyrebagger itself, near the airport? Dunno where Kirkhill is. All the stone circles in aberdeenshire are original AFAIK, ie between 5,500 and 3,500 years old. Aberdeenshire is pretty famous for the sheer number, density and unique form of its stone circles, known as recumbent stone circles, cos they have one large stone horizontal and forming an 'altar' between two 'flankers'. The best theory is that this then acts as an artificial horizon for observing stars and planets.
I daresay the abundance has led to many being taken for granted and not given the usual care, hence why you took them to be recent. Whenever I've had to work up there I've spent the evenings visiting them - plenty to go at!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Kirkhill is just over the road from Tyrebagger, the stone cirlce there is a ned hangout with bonfires and buckfast bottles, shows how little care they get. We bike there quite often, so will need to check the one at Tyrebagger out. A couple of them have been relocated due to urban developement.

Went for a look at the Callanish ones when we were on Lewis, pretty impressive, nicely located. We avoided walking among them, as per the notices asking to do this, but many tourists weren't. Made getting good photos difficult.

Need to do some PS work onn them.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Genius. Went to this yesterday, agree with all above, amazing work by AG. The 'underground gallery' rooms are incredible. Took the little 'en who gave his seal of approval too. Good video here of making it http://www.artisancam.org.uk/pages/artists/andy/timelapse.php?mnbtn=2&icn=1

bigphil

• menacing presence
We went at the weekend.  I was gobsmacked by the cracked clay walls, the leaf stalks and the room of sweet chesnut logs.  Absolutely amazing.  We even managed to make our own rain shadow on that big bloack in the sheep pens.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal