UKBouldering.com

Port, the drink. (Read 45710 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#75 Re: Port, the drink.
December 26, 2007, 09:43:23 am
Well Chappers,

I too sunk a bottle on the eve.  Got a bit rah if I remember correctly . . .  (A German Pfalz to lube; some Ramos Pinto white port; and a Noval LB main course to take us into the Nark Zone)

(Noval LB = trash.  Strange, their LBV is 'kin stellar.  Note to self:  spend more next year)

chappers

• forum hero
#76 Re: Port, the drink.
December 26, 2007, 11:13:49 am
well the news is that i drank that bottle of port on the night of the 23rd. and...(i know nothing about port)...it tasted great, and i was fully pissed by the time i went to bed.

i did wake up with a hangover though, caused i am sure, not by the port, but by the wine, stella and then port.

andy_e

• forum hero
#77 Re: Port, the drink.
December 27, 2007, 01:23:21 pm
Never mix grapes and grain!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#78 Re: Port, the drink.
January 08, 2008, 04:51:54 pm
So, how did the warres 77 taste Yoss?

Cheeses - drinking a bog standard yet rich ruby, didn't think it went too well with Gorgonzola; not that well with this fancy Swiss gruyere-esque hard cheese either (it's a blinding cheese but lacks the bite of UK cheddar); normal rolled goats cheese goes pretty good.

:)

To add

I thought these two Joe Fattorini youtube clips great &
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 05:03:34 pm by Houdini, Reason: Q2-K9 »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#79 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 09:06:34 pm
What do you know, Miki?

miki

• regular
#80 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 09:34:12 pm
Hey :P

you seem to be the Port masters. Especially Houdini.

about Port, it's not that expensive ;)
i usually buy Ferreira, Dona Antonia. Cheap, good taste and if drink too much...  :alky:
if you want something better go for a vintage taylor's.
well something worse, there is actually Port wine from the supermarket brand :P ( never tried ), 4€ tawny/ruby/white

i will ask some friends ( masters like Paul :P ) because i feel i've added close to nothing to this thread.

J

note: Now that i'm living in Madrid, i was called "not Portuguese" because i don't drink as much as expected for a Portuguese(this according to the Spanish stereotype). :pissed:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#81 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 09:41:25 pm
W O W    I'm surprised you rate Taylor's (I confess I've not drunk Taylor's vintage).  Yoss has though.

I have some Ferriera '85 in a cellar maturing.  Though I am keen to upgrade to a smaller and more respectable marque such as Quinto Do Vesuvio. Minimum €35 for a 3 yr old vintage.

I have found some of the Portal brand to be tasty wares of late, especially their Late Bottle Vintage which retails @ €20 a bottle in Germany.  Not great value, but I have plans to visit and boulder and return w/ a full car full   8)

miki

• regular
#82 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 10:04:55 pm
Not great value, but I have plans to visit and boulder and return w/ a full car full

wise words :)

i will keep with Ferreira.

any comments on Taylor's vintage Yoss?  ( don't be surprised, because i'm not an expert )

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#83 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 10:14:02 pm
In Germany the taste is for the darker, tawny port.  I have drunk the Ferriera tawny but not their normal ruby red.  I'm still looking.  From what I have heard of Taylors - it needs minimum 15 years rest in a bottle before it opens its heart.

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#84 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 10:19:47 pm
I'll be cracking open the Port tomorrow when I'm finally finished with bloody exams.

Looking in my cupboard i've got some Graham's miniatures or an unopened bottle of Burmester Jockey Club Tawny.
Any one had a bottle of that? I was given it and to be honest had never heard of it before...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#85 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 10:21:32 pm
Burmeister, not a common tipple.  Savour w/ unblanched almonds and strong cheddar, perhaps dried cranberries.

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#86 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 10:26:11 pm
It says 'savour with cakes or dried fruit'. The cakes bit strikes me as slightly odd, although i imagine a sponge cake might be alright with port. An excuse to drink port and eat cakes, couldn't get much better.  :great:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#87 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 10:28:35 pm
Sounds good.  Drank 3L of Grahams in Finland recently . . .  All I introduced it to thought I was a fucking star!

Grahams is sweet: not super sweet - try something to compliment it that is a little drier - hazlenuts/wallnuts?

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#88 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 10:35:01 pm
Previously I've drunk Taylor's or Grahams LBV, so this Burmester should be a good change.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#89 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 10:38:18 pm
Please report back Oli, port is very expensive: it can get crazy, all info welcome.

I still say the LBV from Quinto do Noval is worth it's weight in gold.  Other more accomplished tasters believe so also.

Tesco's 11 quid.  Here in Germany it's over €20.  People, snap it up now for Xmas and start baking your brandy infused Xmas cakes now!

Young Taylor's is so distant . . .

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#90 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 10:50:48 pm
In defence of Taylor's, Quinta de Vargellas and Quinta de Terra Feita are good.  The 20+ year old Tawnys are also good, anything younger can taste like stale piss.  I'm afraid it's a case of you get what you pay for.
Houd, you rate Warre's or Offley's?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#91 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 11:14:00 pm
I think warres beat Taylor's.   It's such a great mid-range flavour, not to strong in either direction.

Bitter/Dry Extreme = D O W ' S

Midrange = Warre's

Sweet = Graham's

I am jealous of your Vargellas knowledge, alas only duty free makes it worthwhile on the pennies.

OFFLEY's  -  must research.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#92 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 11:27:13 pm
Don't get me wrong, these are things I have only had once or twice- I haven't got a cellar.
Offley's are worth looking into.  A lot of mellow, smooth ports.
Had some DeLaforce (sp?) once that a friend had bought, which I enjoyed very much.  I'm afraid I have no more details to add.
Warre's Quinta da Cavadinha I would recommend.
I know people who rave about Niepoort, but having never had it I cannot be a reliable person to recommend it.
Smith Woodhouse '85 will set you back a bit more, but is again a beauty. 

Maybe I should start a whisky thread, but it would be quite short........

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#93 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 11:42:46 pm
Cavadinha?   (& Bofirm (sp?)) Next xmas I will promise myself.  So many good products have Warres. 

Dude - if you can find pleasure and difference in that foul stuff known as Single Malt then your opinion must be at least reasonable  ;)

Niepoort.  Fraudini's father has nothing but praise for this marque.  It's a small house, and we are in agreement that their product is higher quality that many a house.

It's flavour is unique, even further down it's product-chain.  It's expensive in Britain; in Germany (not a pro-port country like the UK and France) even it's bottom of the range ruby is €13 or €15 (and remember that's a Euro/minimum alcohol-taxed price).  Very worth investigating, certainly one of the best I've tried.

I think w/ Delaforce one must really lash out to find the best taste.  I find it spirity and that's a characteristic I don't rate.  Cockburns is also very spirity . . .

I am very keen to investigate Sandeman further.  Their average ruby is superb, very good: it bursts w/ flavour.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#94 Re: Port, the drink.
February 06, 2008, 11:57:52 pm
I've always liked Sandeman.  One of the best cheap Ports around in my opinion.
Cockburns is OKish, but the name makes me wince.

Dude - if you can find pleasure and difference in that foul stuff known as Single Malt then your opinion must be at least reasonable 
Single malts are like Port.  Many are shite, but the best ones are sublime.  Getting to know them is no chore, but can burn a hole in your pocket.  I like to have at least 2 bottles open and available.  Moods influence interpretation of flavour I always feel.

A quick search is suggesting a ton for the Delaforce.   :o
I shall investigate this Niepooooort of which you speak.

Your grammar is going down t'knackers m'laddie.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#95 Re: Port, the drink.
February 07, 2008, 12:06:09 am
Comes w/ speaking two bastard languages simultaneously . . .    And being 2 bottles down . . .

Niepoort - defo worth going LBV.

Single malts?  Irish only.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#96 Re: Port, the drink.
February 07, 2008, 12:11:40 am
And being 2 bottles down . . .

Port?  Gout club awaits which is bollocks as it has no evidence to support such a complete load of toss.
Gonzalez Byass is another that needs research, unless someone knows something.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#97 Re: Port, the drink.
February 07, 2008, 12:18:37 am
Nah . . .   Tomorrow is belting run day.  Always lose 1200g on a 2hr run.

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#98 Re: Port, the drink.
February 07, 2008, 11:25:19 pm
I must admit that I have so far failed in my aim to open the new bottle and succumbed to wine this evening, although thats a different thread.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#99 Re: Port, the drink.
September 04, 2008, 07:10:44 pm
Been supper Dow's LBV 1996 in half bottles of late.  But then, I've been paying between 2 and 4 pounds a bottle for them at Connolley's Wines in Brum . . .

As Withnail said:  None left for you.   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal