UKBouldering.com

Forest Notes (Read 1309 times)

rodma

• forum hero
Forest Notes
March 20, 2010, 11:14:23 pm
I'm sure this has been covered before(edit: have just looked at stone country website and seen it referenced) , but I have at this moment have just googled and then read (despite being exhausted) Forest Notes by Robert louis stevenson. I didn't mean to read it all, but I really liked it.  :thumbsup: :yawn:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext96/esstr10h.htm use  'ctrl and f' to find forest notes

I have had rather a lot to drink though  :alky:

Some of my fave bits are below, don't read on if you are either intested enough to read the whole thing, or are disinterested.

The boulders are some of them upright and dead like monolithic castles, some of them prone like sleeping cattle.

The ways grow wider and sandier; here and there there are real sand-hills, as though by the sea-shore;

At last they chance on the right path, and make Franchard in the early evening

It is the great moral spa; this forest without a fountain is itself the great fountain of Juventius.  It is the best place in the world to bring an old sorrow that has been a long while your friend and enemy; and if, like Béranger’s your gaiety has run away from home and left open the door for sorrow to come in, of all covers in Europe, it is here you may expect to find the truant hid.  With every hour you change.  The air penetrates through your clothes, and nestles to your living body.  You love exercise and slumber, long fasting and full meals.  You forget all your scruples and live a while in peace and freedom, and for the moment only.

You may walk before you all day long, and not fear to touch the barrier of your Eden, or stumble out of fairyland

(super boring note: I was born 125 years and 3days after him in the same city and was dissapointed to find out that he wasn't in barbizon exactly 100 years before i was born, he was 6 months too soon. I'm at all upset that I was born without any of his talent.)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal