UKBouldering.com

New Durham Bouldering Wall (Read 13637 times)

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
New Durham Bouldering Wall
July 05, 2007, 02:44:01 pm
State of the art Bouldering Wall for Durham. Durham Climbing Centre is now under construction and due to open in August 2007 in good time for this winter. It will be the largest bouldering wall in the area. There are two separate rooms for adults and kids, as well as a cafe, shop, pool and table tennis. Opening August 2007. Look out for the website launching soon: www.durhamclimbingcentre.co.uk

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
#1 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
July 05, 2007, 02:51:29 pm

philo

• forum hero
#2 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
July 05, 2007, 04:45:22 pm
good luck with that! looks nice so far.  by the way why seperate kids from adults?

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
July 05, 2007, 05:02:14 pm
Whereabouts in Durham is it going to be? Will you have some training stuff in there like campus boards?

Good luck with the construction, this is a nice suprise.

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
#4 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
July 05, 2007, 06:17:59 pm
A big Campus Board will be behind the camera on the picture on my news page.

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
July 09, 2007, 11:24:10 pm
...a very nice surprise indeed! best of luck with it, keep us posted with photos of how it's going! keen as a bean.

rc

• player
#6 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 02, 2007, 12:35:00 pm
Is the highest bouldering wall in the world (?) really opening this weekend?

dave

#7 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 02, 2007, 01:21:05 pm
i thought there was a limit to how tall they are allowed to make commercial bouldering walls (the height of the Works is supposed to be at that limit)?

that website is pretty shakey. empty photo galleries for one point. fonts with serifs? please.

Wish this thing had been open 10 years ago!

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#8 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 02, 2007, 01:23:56 pm
"Ian Vickers - arguably the best route setter in the world.  Say no more... British Climbing Champion and Director of Blackburn's..."

Who exactly is arguing for that viewpoint?

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#9 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 02, 2007, 01:27:57 pm
Thresher's?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#10 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 02, 2007, 01:30:33 pm
Strange claim to make, but he's certainly a good problem setter. I have always thoroughly enjoyed myself at boulderuk.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#11 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 02, 2007, 01:37:19 pm
I've heard versions of that quote to some degree or other uttered by many a punter down Awful Walls after they've reset the back wall. "Crikey John, Ian Vickers is arguably the best route setter in the world. I've never climbed such a good pink 6b!"

I dare say there will come a day when there is a world route/problem setting championship.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#12 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 02, 2007, 05:27:41 pm
I hope the Weasel has already set the problems otherwise the Durham dudes could well be scuppered - Ian's in Israel for the next week or two setting on a new wall. And how come the Durham wall is touted on the website as the highest in the World? A very unfounded claim if ever I heard one - have these guys never been to Eldon Square? They live close enough - you'd think they'd have paid a visit... Even the comp wall in the Works is 4.5 metres.

Paul B

• forum hero
#13 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 02, 2007, 05:35:14 pm
it does actually say

"the highest bouldering wall in the world???" seems to be an inquisitive statement at most. Anyway, why the hell do you want it any bigger than 4.5m? Bad idea IMO, looks good though.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#14 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 02, 2007, 05:37:04 pm
An unfounded claim but also a pretty pointless one. Why would you want to go to the "highest bouldering wall in the world"? Presumably to increase your chances of hurting yourself.  :-\

Just seen you've said the same thing Paul.......

dave

#15 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 02, 2007, 05:58:53 pm
actually the "highest" wall in the world aught to be the one at the greatest altitude. Any walls in Bhutan or Tibet?

hails x

#16 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 03, 2007, 01:18:48 am

Thanks to all the well wishers!  This forum started off full of enthusiasm and encouragement- shame its turned out like this!  Nevertheless, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Anyone passing opinion on the wall really should find out exactly what they are talking about first.  The wall is very impressive and could easily be the highest bouldering wall in the world.  However, we are not crazy!  The routes will comply with British standards of a maximum height of 4.5m.  No- one ever said the routes would be set any higher!

I dont really feel the need to justify the wall- it speaks for itself.  Its a classic contemporary space with great angles- the only way to find out what its really like is to visit it.  I agree its a shame there are no pictures on the site.  This is because the ones we have need resizing because they take too long to open.  Creating a wall on this scale has meant that I just havent had the time to do this.

Anyone who wishes to find out any more info can contact me directly at our email address.  See you all at Durham Wall!

dave

#17 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 03, 2007, 08:50:42 am
no-ones being down on you, i'm psyched that durhams got a facility now, as i'm sure everyone is.

its just a bit strange to claim "worlds highest bouldering wall" if you're still limited to using the first 4.5m of the wall. its a bit misleading. Like when sweet manufacturers bring out a product with "50% bigger bag" written on the outside when the actual amount of sweets you get is the same as before.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#18 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 03, 2007, 09:12:18 am
to be fair to hails it does read like people are dissing the wall

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#19 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 03, 2007, 09:28:58 am
I agree, although posting anything on an internet discussion board opens you up to probably more criticism than any other public forum there is! Not that the UKB folks are a hyper critical bunch or anything.... ;) The wall looks great, and I'm sure you'll be very busy. Sounds like a good idea, these bouldering only gyms...!
BTW, whats an Olympic route setter? The sport of climbing isn't in the Olympics. Is route setting a new Olympic event? :-\
Good luck with the opening bash, Hails. I'll come up for a visit as soon as I'm up your neck of the woods

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#20 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 03, 2007, 09:44:44 am
I dont think anyone is having a go at the wall or the efforts of those involved, but at claims on the website which sensationalize rather unexciting things.

Its like when darius sang 'Hit me baby, one more time' on pop factor xidol all those years ago - a bit too keen. Like Simon Cowell, I would take you through to boot camp, because I see potential - but I would certainly warn you off boastful comments on your website.

dave

#21 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 03, 2007, 09:55:16 am
BTW, whats an Olympic route setter? The sport of climbing isn't in the Olympics.

Maybe they've got a setter who is Greek, born in Olympia?

P.S. although climbing doesn't feature in either of the olympics (summer or winter), it is a recognised olympic sport, i.e. recognised as a sport by the IOC, along with stuff like bridge, boules, tug of war and orienteering etc.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#22 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 03, 2007, 10:13:16 am

Its like when darius sang 'Hit me baby, one more time' on pop factor xidol all those years ago

Yes, Darius on Popfaxdol is exactly what it brought to mind to me too. Or not.

I concur that the wall looks good and I was in no way slagging it. The "highest in the world" thing's just daft though and makes me think about snapping an ankle.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#23 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 03, 2007, 10:16:15 am
come on dobbin, isn't that what websites are for to sensationalize rather unexciting things?
what tag line do you want them to use "come to our new wall, it's the same height as the one down the road" or "problems set by ian vickers, he's not too bad"?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#24 Re: New Durham Bouldering Wall
October 03, 2007, 10:18:26 am
I think that would be a refreshing change. 'Some small holds and some quite hard problems - probably, of course, you might just piss them all'.

'Ian vickers - he's handy with an allen key'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal