UKBouldering.com

Manchester International Festival (Read 3696 times)

Rice Boy

• stalker
Manchester International Festival
July 05, 2007, 11:26:59 am
Very impressed (mostly) by the events I've been to so far a credit to them for the number of free events held especially Manchester Dines after which I didn't need to eat for a day.

Big shock when Divine David turned up in 'For All the Wrong Reasons' a strange but enjoyable cabaret show.

Anyone been to any of the events?

Rice Boy

• stalker
#1 Re: Manchester International Festival
July 05, 2007, 11:28:00 am
Apologies could do with being in Music, art and culture.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2 Re: Manchester International Festival
July 05, 2007, 11:37:06 am
Me and Mrs FD are off to see 'Monkey - Journey to the West' tomorrow night and then the Mondays at the Ritz on Sunday... plus the sun is going to shine on Saturday so it should be a good weekend.

Rice Boy

• stalker
#3 Re: Manchester International Festival
July 05, 2007, 02:14:27 pm
Sun on Saturday??? This weather is testing my optimism.

Going to the a couple of the debates, mainly to catch Germaine Greer (sp?) in action. :spank:

Only knew about the festival from working near the Palace and because my misses worked at Contact, rest of friends didn't have a clue. Seems like the advertising could be better placed? Then again Edinburgh goes by reputation alone, which like I said before, thought Manchester did well for first year.

Monkey got thums up from everyone I've spoken to.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#4 Re: Manchester International Festival
July 05, 2007, 02:48:20 pm
FD - I'm jealous as hell. I'd love to see the Monkey opera. It was lauded with praise on Newsnight Review last week by Paul Morley, John Harris etc. I watched a documentary about the making of it last night. I've never had a particularly high opinion of Damon Albarn's work over the years, but knowing what he and Jamie Hewlett went through to realise this project I have nothing but the utmost respect for him/them. True artists, taking risks and really putting their necks on the line.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#5 Re: Manchester International Festival
July 05, 2007, 02:57:22 pm
CLM saw that opera last weekend, he rated it. I caught the doc last night as well, looks good, shame it's only on for a short while then heading abroad.

Fun fact: 'The Divine David' is the cousin of a good friend of mine.  ;D

clm

• forum hero
#6 Re: Manchester International Festival
July 05, 2007, 04:21:29 pm
Saw the fall on sunday too at the ritz - legendary.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#7 Re: Manchester International Festival
July 05, 2007, 05:42:25 pm
Pantontino - This was one of those things that I read in the paper and instead of thinking 'that would be good' I actually got up, walked to the phone and booked a couple of tickets - It's amazing how many things (gigs, events, weekends away etc.)  I let slip by not taking any action so I'm quite proud of myself this time for actually doing something in advance.  I watched the documentary last night too and got quite excited - I was very impressed with Damon Albarn having not been a great fan of Blur or the Gorillaz... he certainly knows his onions when it comes to music and having the courage and stamina to compose an opera has to be applauded.

After it's been abroad I'm sure it will make a return to the UK at some point... Although, why not combine a Font trip with a viewing in Paris? That'd be cool.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Manchester International Festival
July 06, 2007, 08:33:55 am
True artists, taking risks and really putting their necks on the line.

Jamie Hewlett was always a true artist; see Tank Girl and Hewligan's Haircut.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#9 Re: Manchester International Festival
July 07, 2007, 10:59:20 am
Monkey was fantastic.  A total feast for the senses and it exceeded my already high expectations.

Rice Boy

• stalker
#10 Re: Manchester International Festival
July 09, 2007, 11:03:53 am
Went to the 'Is religion good for society' debate on Saturday.

I was shocked by the initial poll that went 3:1 against the motion. Didn't feel like either side ever met each other on level terms but this seemed inevitable. Polly Toynbee pissed me off as well. 

Good event though.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#11 Re: Manchester International Festival
July 09, 2007, 01:16:38 pm
Jamie Hewlett was always a true artist; see Tank Girl and Hewligan's Haircut.

... Hewligan's Haircut - there's a blast from the past.  Cut in an NHS mental hospital it had a hole through the middle that offered a clear view through, no matter what angle you were observing from.  Utter. Genius.  I thought I was the only person who had ever heard of it.... wasn't he always being chased by a bunch of policemen who rode in a cycle-mounted pyramid formation?  A weirdly whimsical juxtaposition to the blood'n'guns cyberpunk stuff that was the bulk of 2000AD.

I hope a DVD / TV version will be made of the Monkey Opera... obviously not the same as being there but I bet that there's enough interest to justifiy it.  Got to admire everyone involved for being willing to take such huge risks with such a steep learning curve.  Damon Albarn's not an easy man to like: he nearly always comes across as an up-himself self-professed "artiste" (in the "The Last Party" etc), but whenever he goes into new territory he seems to pull it off despite people wanting him to fail for daring to try something aside from Parklife MkII.  Even his involvement in Malian music was interesting - clearly heartfelt with lots of good tunes, rather than the usual tokenistic horror.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Manchester International Festival
July 10, 2007, 09:19:17 am
wasn't he always being chased by a bunch of policemen who rode in a cycle-mounted pyramid formation? 

Indeed it was. Just did a search for it, no-one has it in stock.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal