UKBouldering.com

lakes conditions today and wend (Read 3862 times)

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
lakes conditions today and wend
June 29, 2007, 11:34:41 am
A bunch of us are heading up to the lakes lunch today for the wend for a friend bday staying near ambleside. Given the weather down Yorkshire way was wondering if anything is / is likely to be climable up there. How about Chapel stile / Bowderstone? Where will best bad weather venues be?

cheers

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
June 29, 2007, 11:41:47 am
I wouldn't bother with the Bowderstone. Its been pissing it down all week pal. It'll be soaked.

Not sure about south lakes though. Greg will be able to give a better idea.

Greg C

• forum hero
#2 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
June 29, 2007, 11:56:13 am
Chapel Stile takes a bit of drainage as it is on a hillside (and it's pretty poor anyway), if it's not actually raining the Langdale Boulders dry very quickly - an hour or two depending on wind. Another fast drying venue is the much underrated Badger Rock in Kentmere which has plenty of old school bloc, traverse and eliminate problems and there may be a few dry harder problems across the track at Little Font, although this venue is an acquired taste. If you fancy driving further south the Trowbarrow boulder drys pretty much as soon as it stops raining and you have the retreat option (and eliminate paradise) of Red Wall. All these options, with the exception of the lower Langadale boulder, have solid/well drained landings so they shouldn't be too wet underfoot.

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
June 29, 2007, 11:58:52 am
cheers guys, much appreciated. At least we have a few options now.

(woz)

• forum abuser
#4 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
June 29, 2007, 02:05:34 pm
Another fast drying venue is the much underrated Badger Rock in Kentmere which has plenty of old school bloc, traverse and eliminate problems

Badger rock is sweet, its like the bowderstone of the v3 generation. Had a great time there last summer

n_man

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
June 30, 2007, 10:34:01 pm
Just bought the lakes guide and I am looking for beta in general. I have been to the Bowder Stone but nowhere else. Where in general is good in the V8/9 range, as it's easy to get psyched by a guide, and then run around like an unproductive headless chicken (re: first two trips after NWB guide coming out).

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
June 30, 2007, 10:47:43 pm
Just bought the lakes guide

We all assume that's not the RockFax guide?

Tried St Bees?
Carrock Fell?

(woz)

• forum abuser
#7 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
July 01, 2007, 09:16:10 am
Just bought the lakes guide and I am looking for beta in general. I have been to the Bowder Stone but nowhere else. Where in general is good in the V8/9 range, as it's easy to get psyched by a guide, and then run around like an unproductive headless chicken (re: first two trips after NWB guide coming out).

If you can be arsed with the walk, samson stones are great at those grades. If not, carrock fell is excellent, but will be a bit warm for hard stuff at the moment.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#8 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
July 01, 2007, 10:42:14 am
Greg, I amheading up your way for a Silverdale hit tommorow (Monday thru to Tuesday).  Any point?

Greg C

• forum hero
#9 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
July 02, 2007, 10:13:04 am
Its been terrible all weekend save your petrol money.

G

n_man

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
July 04, 2007, 05:26:12 pm
Just looked at Carrock Fell and didn't realise that it was so extensive - cheers for the beta. I had also dismissed St Bees as I had been to look at the routes ages ago and didn't think that they were up to much. Shouldn't tar all things with the same brush, or something.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#11 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
July 04, 2007, 06:57:22 pm
I was at st. Bees last night and it was mint.

There was a small shower, but otherwise the tide was out and condiions were top. Nearly got Headbanger done as well, managed the starting move from sitting, just didn't have enough beans to do the top part.

It has been freat weather of late in the West, started rainign tonight but I'd recommend the Bees at present.

tc

• junky
#12 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
July 04, 2007, 08:10:14 pm
I was at st. Bees last night and it was mint.

I've been telling people that for the last 3 weeks. It's the only dry rock in the world.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#13 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
July 04, 2007, 08:12:45 pm
What's St Bees like after being wet?  Is it the sort of stuff you should avoid climbing on until bone dry, like Heysham Head?  Or is it solid enough where you won't do it any harm?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#14 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
July 05, 2007, 11:04:47 am
Thinking of a day out in the Lakes either Friday or the weekend.  Is the Bowderstone likely to be dry or does it seep longterm?

Also I've never been to any of the South Lakes venues and Trowbarrow looks like it might be okay for a V7-on-a-good-day weakling.  Is the Red Wall truly perma-dry or will even it be damp after recent deluges?  And even if it is dry... would it be worth a 2 hour drive mainly for a crack at Shallow Grave or Funk Phenomena? 

Sorry for the questions... but my job ends this month so I'm using my remaining days-off to scope out possible projects.... by Christmas I hope to be poor but strong!

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#15 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
July 05, 2007, 11:24:40 am
Red Wall stays very dry from the times I have been there, Shallow Grave can have a hold that may be a bit mingingly greasy if it's a bit warm and damp in the air but it aint too bad. The funk phenomena is utterly nails in comparison (imo) but should dry fast with a bit of sunshine! The Big G start to problem 2 seemed easier on the other side to TFP! The Shelter stone is one of my favourite bits of rock though and the Ramp traverse is truly awesome.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#16 Re: lakes conditions today and wend
July 05, 2007, 12:28:21 pm
Cheers mate, it looks well worth a visit - just ticking off the Ramp would be ample justification for the drive from what you say.  And, daring to dream, if I managed anything harder, or just made sufficient progress to get the mojo for a rematch... well that would be just peachy. 

God I love going to new crags, it makes me feel like a kid before Christmas.  I have all of these long-term projects at Kyloe / Bowden etc that I really want to do before I leave the area at the end of July but I just can't quite face the prospect of more fruitless sessions.  And I just know that it would feel all the worse without the possibility of a quick return to make ammends! :boohoo:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal