UKBouldering.com

I'm a newbie (Read 2310 times)

punched

I'm a newbie
June 27, 2007, 05:43:50 pm
Hello Everyone :wave:

I've decided that bouldering is for me and I'm looking for a bit of start up advice.

A bit about me - I did a little climbing when I was at college (20 years ago) and I enjoyed it and I'm wanting to get back into it. I can't be bothered with all the ropes etc that climbing involves so bouldering really appeals to me. I live close to the Peak district and have had a wander round the Burbage area watching and looking at some of the problems.

So a couple of questions

Shoes? which kind and where's a good shop in the Barnsley/Sheffield area. Thing is I don't do leather so they need to be man made fabrics only.

Mat - they all look the same to me, lol so which kind would suit? I'm a big second row forward type so I need something that will stand up to my 18stone frame hitting it.

Owt else I need?

Oh the Mrs wants to come and the same restriction on the type of shoes for her would apply.

Anyway sorry to ask questions that you've probably already answered a 1000 times.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#1 Re: I'm a newbie
June 27, 2007, 06:16:48 pm
If you are just getting back into I would aim for some cheap shoes that fit well. You might trash nice shoes if your footwork is a bit rusty. I would go some slippers or velcro shoes which will mean you can take them off between attemps on problems.

Good brands of pad are Pob, Moon and Franklin. They all sell a variety of sizes. I can't help with shops as I don't live nearby. I am confident there are some good ones around that area though.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: I'm a newbie
June 27, 2007, 11:22:37 pm
take one afternoon off, go to the best shop you can find in a hour drive range, and try all the shoes. yes, velcros are good for taking them off during attempts, and their actual quality is excellent. stand up, walk in the shop, use footholds or press your feet around, they will have to be your best friend and weapon.
buy a solid big beefy pad, cos falling hurts.

have fun.
 :thumbsup:

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#3 Re: I'm a newbie
June 27, 2007, 11:29:15 pm
I think the Evolv range of shoes are meant to be vegan friendly, (not 100% sure but may be worth looking into with the leather thing) and I concur with sir Nibile on trying out as many pairs as possible before buying. To be fair it's hard to know how comfortable they will be without proper useage as opposed to in-shop but get the most comfortable pair for starters!

I can recommend the Moon Saturn pad if you are after something with a large landing area and thickness (just make sure you have a big boot or can put the back seats down!).

+ It's definitely worth purchasing the Peak District: Bouldering guide by Ru Davies and Jon Barton with you being based in this area  :thumbsup:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 Re: I'm a newbie
June 28, 2007, 08:42:26 am
You'll also need a chalk bag, chalk to put in it and I would suggest an old toothbrush to clean holds. That, and the aforementioned pad and shoes should see you right for a few months.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#5 Re: I'm a newbie
June 28, 2007, 09:29:06 am
these guys do animal free climbing shoes

http://www.butterflyjam.co.uk/index.html

obviously their advertising worked on me in that i remembered their name - even though as an omnivore i'll be sticking to 5.10s

as a beginner i wouldn't purchase the new peak bouldering guide - even though its a nice guidebook and the photos are inspiring, it is a selective guide (i.e. doesn't how all problems) and is biased towards harder problems.

if you can find it you would be better off with the old peak bouldering guide (or possibly the definitive burbage or stanage guides - which now incorporate boulder problems as well as routes)

punched

#6 Re: I'm a newbie
June 28, 2007, 10:17:45 pm
Thanks for your help guys :thumbsup:

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#7 Re: I'm a newbie
June 29, 2007, 01:37:29 am
If its been a while then maybe a few sessions indoors would help too. If your in the Sheffield area then theres this new gym thats been started by a couple of Donald Trump wannabes thats supposed to be ok  ;)

The Worlds Biggest Bouldering Wall

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal