UKBouldering.com

Begining Bouldering (Read 2126 times)

TheKrikkitWars

Begining Bouldering
June 16, 2007, 05:08:16 pm
I recently came across bouldering and began to wonder how or where to start; one Google search later.

The crux is I have very little climbing experience, can anyone suggest how I should begin, would I be better going out and getting some climbing experience and skills before moving from conventional climbing towards doing simple problems?

All input greatly appreciated.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#1 Re: Begining Bouldering
June 16, 2007, 10:14:04 pm
No mate, get some shoes and a mat and a guide book and go and do as many problems as you can before theres no skin on your finger tips, go home . Now get up and go and do it again. Now your a boulderer, sorted.
 where do you live, whats your nearest rock

TheKrikkitWars

#2 Re: Begining Bouldering
June 16, 2007, 10:18:12 pm
I live in Doncaster, south Yorkshire. Can anyone recommend a good guidebook then?

chappers

• forum hero
#3 Re: Begining Bouldering
June 16, 2007, 10:50:19 pm
try peak district bouldering by ukbouldering's very own ru davies.

http://www.outside.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/5185||~@c~Peak~District~@b|0|user|1,0,0,1|15|

go to it. try a trip to a wall.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#4 Re: Begining Bouldering
June 17, 2007, 12:03:09 pm
I think it can be better to get into climbing a bit with ropes, with a mate or at a course at a wall etc before bouldering as it can be quite intimidating learning to climb when even a 4ft fall could break an ankle if not done properly.. Also it can be a bit hard to work out what is "climbable" if you haven't some experience, so visiting a bouldering field can be a bit frustrating. And I think that most of the problems -99%? in the Peak bouldering guide would be very difficult for somebody brand new to climbing..
Having said that, if you head of to Burbage South or somewhere you could also have a lot of fun just having a go at anything that looks like you could climb it.. At first don't be too bothered about using the guidebook though, execpt to find the crag, just climb anything you fancy.
Have fun.

TheKrikkitWars

#5 Re: Begining Bouldering
June 17, 2007, 12:13:16 pm
A few of the people I kayak with are avid climbers and I'm told there are a few good walls nearby, so I'll have a chat with them as well and see if they can help me any.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#6 Re: Begining Bouldering
June 17, 2007, 11:03:16 pm
If you can make it to the peak one weekend i would be happy to get out and do some problems with you. Gimmie a mail if you fancy it.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#7 Re: Begining Bouldering
June 19, 2007, 01:33:38 pm
I'd probably suggest this place for your first taste of bouldering.

http://www.climbingworks.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal